More often than not, people already have certain brands on their list whenever they shop for inverter generators. Two of the huge brands in the inverter generator industry are Yamaha and Honda. In this article, we will review both the Yamaha and Honda Inverter Generators. In this manner, we will be able to learn the strong and weak points of each brand’s generators.
Yamaha Inverter Generator
For 20 years, Yamaha has provided its customers with the best power products at a valuable price point. Their product line-up of inverter generators promotes safe and quiet models and clean electricity. The brand’s models are highly rated and top ranked for reduced noise emissions, power quality and delivery.
Overall, Yamaha inverter generators are designed to deliver quality power and electrical output without compromising portability.
Major Features of Yamaha Inverter Generators
- Produce more controlled and clean power. Through a controlled electrical circuit process called Pulse Width Modulation (PWM), Yamaha’s inverter system is able to produce AC current. This greatly eliminates the effect of engine speed fluctuation to the voltage or frequency of the electrical output.
- Adopts a Highly-Efficient Multi-Polar Alternator. The alternator enables the generator to be more efficient, with high frequency, 3-phase AC current. The current is turned into a single phase of electricity. With Yamaha’s highly efficient alternators, a much lighter and more compact generating unit is achieved. The multi-polar is more functional than conventional 2-pole rotor type alternators.
- Economic Idle Control – Smart Throttle. Yamaha created Smart Throttle, a feature that automatically adjusts the engine speed to precisely match the load. This feature allows the generator to run quieter while increasing fuel efficiency, prolonging engine life and extending running time between refueling.
- Advanced Sound Reduction. Yamaha created Noise Block, an acoustically engineered sound reduction system. The feature enables silent operation while maintaining quality performance. With its various sound absorbing materials, molded cases, intake silencer, fibreglass insulation and uniquely designed muffles and fans, the inverter generator is set to operate efficiently and more quietly.
- Less Than 2.5% Distortion Ratio. The distortion ratio result means that Yamaha inverter generators can be used with equipment that require stable frequency and voltage. Examples are power tools and projectors with built-in computer functions and microcomputer controlled equipment.
Additional Features of Yamaha Inverter Generators:
Besides the aforementioned general features, here are other functions and features that make Yamaha inverter generators to be among the best in the industry.
- TwinTech: This basically allows Yamaha inverter generators to have the parallel use function. Easily hook up two generators with similar specifications for an approximate double power output while maintaining the frequency and voltage of a single generator unit.
- Electronic Circuit Breaker: Once the output voltage exceeds the designated maximum output capacity, the inverter generator automatically cuts off current.
- 4-Stroke OHV Engine: The four stroke OHV engine consists of powerful performance, precise valve actuation, excellent heat dissipation, low fuel consumption and reduced noise level.
- Oil Warning System: When the oil level is low, the engine automatically stops to prevent engine damage that will minimize costly repairs.
- Electric or Non-Fused Overload Breaker: The overload breakers prevents damage on the generator by automatically reducing power output.
- Auto Decompressor and Electric Starter: This function allows for an effortless start through the light recoil start that reduces compression.
- Petrol Petcock: The petrol flow is turned off to reduce carburettor contamination during storage and this also allows the carburettor to run dry.
- DC Output Capability: This capability allows for convenience of charging the battery.
- Fuel Gauge: The gauge is exposed externally. In this manner, the fuel level is displayed without the need to open the fuel cap.
- Voltage Meter and Brushless Alternator: Yamaha inverter generators only require minimal maintenance, hassle-free service and clean output. The voltage meter is clearly displayed on the control panel.
- Spark Arrestor and Long Range Fuel Tank: Yamaha inverter generators have improved efficiency and longer running time. The spark arrestors are USFS-approved to contain sparks from exiting the exhaust system to reduce the risk of unnecessary sparks that could cost fire.
Below we have handpicked the best Yamaha inverter generator suitable for residential use that will surely deliver the value of your money.
Yamaha EF2000ISV2 2000-Watt Inverter Generator
The Yamaha EF2000ISV2 uses an MZ80 engine that is designed to make the inverter generator to be as light as possible. In addition to that, the unit body is also made of light yet strong materials including polypropylene. With this, the Yamaha EF2000ISV2 can be hand carried because it only weighs 19.9 kg.
Whether you take the Yamaha EF2000ISV2 out for camping or plan to use it at home, the 4.2 litre fuel tank brushless inverter can run up to 10.5 hours at ¼ rated load.
Features and Specifications
- Maximum running output at 2000 Watts and rated output at 1600 Watts
- A 79cc engine creates high output
- Has a large capacity muffler
- Easily detachable panel for faster servicing
- Starts quickly with auto-decompression system
- Twintech capability – parallel use function
- Complies with gas emission regulations
- Fuel shutoff allows carbs to be run dry, which helps prevent starting problems after extended storage
- Carb drain gets every drop of fuel out for even more extended storage
- Gear driven valve train instead of belt driven
- Closable vent cap to prevent fuel spills and fuel level indicators in the cap
- Very few outlets and no available RV outlets
- Unable to produce 240-volt power
- Running time at full load is relatively short
The majority of the customers of Yamaha EF2000ISV2 expressed their satisfaction over the unit weight of less than 20 kg, light enough to be hand carried by one person. Despite the lightweight feature, the unit is designed with high-grade body materials and engines that has a high-capacity to produce high output. Besides the lightweight feature, the unit is also rated to be fuel efficient and has been tested to practically run the whole day at a quarter load.
Honda Inverter Generators
The Honda company has been in the automobile and power industry since 1953. They have manufactured millions of power products delivered worldwide. Honda power equipment has 6 different major product families; generators, lawn mowers, pumps, snow blowers, tillers, and trimmers.
Besides that, Honda boasts of a network of thousands of independent dealers across the United States and not counting the countries in Asia.
Major Features of Honda Inverter Generators
- High Quality Power Output. Honda inverter generators produce power that is as reliable as the power obtained from outlets at home. The brushless inverter technology used on units ensures that power is closer to “line power” than any other generator design.
- Lighter, Smaller Size. The inverter technology used in the unit integrates parts from the engine and the generator. In this manner, the alternator on models EU1000i, EU2000i, and EU3000iS is combined with the engine flywheel for reduced size and weight.
- Higher-Fuel Efficiency. The Eco-Throttle feature of Honda inverter generators allows the engines to automatically adjust the speed to produce only the power needed for the application in use. It is said that traditional generators have to run at 3600 RPM to produce 60 hertz of electricity. But generators with Eco-Throttle can run at much slower RPMs while maintaining frequency and power for the requested load. Due to the reduced RPMs, the Eco-Throttle feature reduces fuel consumption by up to 40%. This helps reduce exhaust emissions.
- Quiet Operation. The Eco-Throttle feature is also capable of reducing the noise level of inverter generators. Due to the fact that the engine is not running at full speed constantly, it is much quieter. Honda inverter generator units also consist of sound dampening materials and quiet Honda engines that help make the units incredibly quiet.
- Parallel Capability. Basically, the parallel capability of Honda inverter generators allows the usage of two smaller, lighter generators to do the work of a much larger generator, without sacrificing the portable feature.
Below is a great Honda inverter generator appropriate for home use to give you value of your money.
HONDA EU2200i 2200-Watt Inverter Generator
The Honda EU2200i can operate a wide variety of appliances. This makes it perfect for portable usage at home and camping. Backed with a 3-year residential and commercial warranty, the Honda EU2200i has all the features that make an inverter generator highly rated.
From the advanced engine, oil level alert, economy mode, quiet operation and compact size. The inverter generator can be used in job site as it is protected by GFCI and approved by OSHA and CARB.
Some of its common applications include; air compressor at up to ½ HP, cell phone charger, heavy duty circular saw, computer, drills, electric chain saw at 2 HP, concrete vibrator, split phase industrial motors at up to ⅓ HP, industrial motors with capacitor start and run at up to 3/4 HP, industrial motors with capacitor start induction run at up to 1/2 HP, portable fan and reciprocating saw at 12A.
Features and Specifications
- Honda GXR120 Engine delivers exceptionally quiet, smooth and fuel-efficient performance
- Super quiet operation at 48 to 57 decibels and on economy mode, the inverter generator produces only 48 decibels
- Lightweight and compact at just 47 pounds while still producing high grades and clean power
- Can run up to 8.1 hours on half a gallon of fuel and 3.2 hours on a single tank at full load
- Fuel off the position of the inverter generator and allow the engine to continuously run until the fuel in the carburetor is totally consumed then it will automatically shut off
- Automatically shut off when low oil levels are detected
- GFCI protected – ideal for jobsite or construction operation (OSHA , LA-ETL, and CARB compliant)
- USDA- qualified spark arrestor and muffler.
- Honda GXR120 Engine – for commercial grade reliability.
- Does not include RV-ready outlet, 240-volt capacity, or USB charging ports
The majority of customers of the Honda EU2200i say they got what they paid for, and that is premium and high grade inverter generator. The inverter generator is said to be obviously well-built with quality materials. The model definitely lives up to the Honda experience and reputation it gives efficient and clean power.
Most of the customers previously owned other Honda inverter generator units. Some went as far as saying the Honda EU2200i is probably their last model to try because it already works efficiently and there is nothing more to look for.
Conclusion on Yamaha vs Honda Inverter Generators
So how does one make a choice between two huge and notable brands? Simply go for the brand that you trust since the beginning of time.
In terms of power and efficiency, tests show that Yamaha generators slightly exceed Honda generators. A typical runtime of Yamaha models is 4.2 hours where the Honda models are about 4 hours.
Size, just like weight, varies from one generator to the other as well. According to customer reviews online, Yamaha models are much quieter compared to Honda models.
Basically, inverter generators have features closely related to one another. Therefore, it is important to look at the extra features and the warranty you can get. This generally varies from one generator model to the other, but you can be almost certain that a Yamaha generator comes with an extra fixture that is missing in the Honda. That’s not always the case for all models though. Yamaha and Honda inverter generators both have impressive warranty policies. But Yamaha still offers quality service according to many customer reviews. Ultimately, both brands are great and you’re bound to get value for money.
Which brand do you have experience with? Between Yamaha and Honda Inverter Generators, which one is the best brand according to you? Feel free to shoot us a comment in the comment section below. We would love to here from you!