According to studies, weighted blankets for kids and adults have become a popular sleeping accessory in recent times partly due to their ability to provide warmth and prominently due to their unparalleled therapeutic advantages.
When we speak of therapeutic benefits, these blankets have been discovered to contain calming effects to adults and kids suffering from various mental conditions such as Insomnia, anxiety, Autism and ADHD among others.
Unlike regular blankets, weighted blankets are typically heavier thanks to their unique construction that consists of a padding filled with beads for added weight.
How do weighted blankets for kids work anyway?
Well, due to the extra weight, these blankets are intended to apply extra pressure (not to much) on your child’s body, mimicking the feeling of a comforting hug. This will help the kid to fall asleep faster and get longer and deeper sleep sessions for better and improved quality of sleep.
Choosing the right weighted blanket for your kid…
Choosing the right size is absolutely vital in order for the optimal benefits of a weighted blanket to be reaped and enjoyed. Mess up the weight selection and you end up with a blanket that’s either too heavy and overwhelming or too light and ineffective.
It’s recommended to go for a blanket that weighs around 10% of your kid’s body weight. If the body weight falls equally between two blanket weights, it’s best to go with the lighter of the two options.
Review of the Best Weighted Blankets for Kids
Quility Premium Kids Weighted Blanket
Tailored with an advanced sewing technology, the Quility Premium Kids Weighted Blanket is designed with 7-layers that emulates the feeling of a comforting hug, to offer you supreme comfort and a calming effect while asleep.
The layers consist of two polyester layers that contain millions of glass beads, a non-glue polyester padding and a 100% ultra-breathable cotton fabric at the top.
With a dedicated minky cover, this blanket is is soft to the touch, easy to clean and warm enough to keep your little one warm during cold nights.
This weighted blanket is available in different sizes intended for single size beds, twin beds and full beds. Since the blanket is designed to weigh 10-12% of your body weight, you can choose the sizes ranging from 5lbs (intended for 40-70lbs kids), 7lbs (for 70-90lbs kids), and 10lbs (for 90-120lbs kids).
Features of the Quility Premium Kids Weighted Blanket
- Advanced sewing technology with superior quality material construction: Crafted using 7 layers that have been sewn together to form an ultra breathable heavy-duty blanket for a comfy and restful night sleep.
- 100% cotton outer layer: Consists of a top soft, breathable layer of cotton fabric with non-glue polyester padding lined with hypoallergenic, odorless and completely safe micro glass beads.
- Dedicated cover: Your purchase is accompanied with a minky duvet cover to protect the blanket. It zips and unzips flawlessly for easy removal. This cover is super comfy, soft, cozy and extremely warm making it the best for cold nights. It’s also easy to clean meaning you don’t have to worry about your blanket getting dirty.
- It’s soft and comfortable
- It comes in different sizes to suit kids of different ages and weights as well as adults with different body weights.
- Comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee plus a full-refund in case you’re not content with your purchase.
- The stitching is heavy-duty as it doesn’t allow glass beads to leak through making this blanket very durable.
- This weighted blanket is available in a number of color options.
- Depending on the season or location, this blanket can get very hot during the night.
The Quility Premium Kids Weighted Blanket is one of the best rated weighted blankets on Amazon currently and also quite popular. For that to happen it would mean that this blanket indeed does deliver on what it promises, which is cited in many of the customer reviews.
There have been minority of customers who’ve complained about the blanket being too hot to sleep in while for others the glass beads shifted to one side of the blanket.
Overall, most customers have loved this blanket and highly recommend it.
2. YnM Weighted Blanket for Kids
YnM Weighted Blanket is double-sewn to perfection. With a 7-layered design, the stitching is tight and it features a baffle box design with each box measuring approximately 4.7”. This type of stitching quality not only prevents the glass beads from shifting, but it also provides an even weight distribution throughout the blanket.
Something else about this blanket is that it comes in a variety of different sizes, weights and color options enough to meet all your sleeping demands. This includes 7lbs intended for kids weighing 60lbs with measurements of 41”×60”, it’s also available in other sizes and weights such as 48”×72” (12lbs), 60”×80” (15lbs), and 80”×87” (25lbs) among other sizes.
Features of the YnM Weighted Blanket
- 7-layered design: This blanket is designed with a 7 layer system that allows it to conform to your body shape in order to mimic the sensation of being hugged or held for added comfort. The layers consist of a soft cotton fabric at the top, two layers of breathable fabric, a layer of hypoallergenic glass beads and two extra layers of padding to prevent the beads from leaking.
- Baffle box construction and Fine stitching: The blanket is double-sewn in small uniform baffle boxes that hold the glass beads together to prevent the beads from shifting for equal weight distribution and durability.
- The baffle box design prevents the beads from shifting for even weight distribution and comfort.
- The 7-layers provide a comfortable and relaxing surrounding that make you feel like you’re sleeping on the clouds.
- It’s available in different sizes and weights to suit everyone from kids to adults.
- According to some customers, the stitching is too loose to a point of leaking glass beads.
For most of the customers, the comforting weight of this blanket has definitely improved the quality of sleep by helping the users fall asleep so much faster and stay asleep longer. The baffle box design is something else that the users love about this product because the beads stay evenly distributed for a comfortable night throughout.
Great as this blanket may be however for a majority, there are still some users who had experiences with leaking glass beads.
3. ZonLi Weighted Blanket
Just like the above weighted blankets the ZonLi weighted blanket too comes in a variety of different sizes which range from 5lbs, 10lbs, 12lbs, 15lbs, 20lbs, 25lbs, to 30 lbs to suit adults and kids alike.
The blanket is made of a 100% breathable natural cotton fabric which is cool and highly durable. This fabric is followed by a non-glue polyester fabric that holds the hypoallergenic odorless glass beads in place to prevent them from leaking. To make theblankets more effective and durable, ZonLi has sewn this blanket into small square baffle boxes to hold the glass beads together and allow for even weight distribution.
Features of the ZonLi Weighted Blanket
- Environmentally safe premium quality material: This weighted blanket is constructed using natural and environmentally safe materials to provide the safest and most comfortable bedding possible for your kids. This is demonstrated by the use of non-toxic and hypoallergenic glass beads, breathable cotton fabric and a double layer of breathable microfiber in the inside.
- Shifting of glass beads inside the blanket is minimized through the use of the sewn in square boxes.
- This weighted blanket is available in several color choices.
- The top cotton fabric and the two layers of microfiber are breathable enough to keep you cool when sleeping.
- A number of customers have complained about glass beads leaking.
Commended for its good quality, it seems the ZonLi Weighted Blanket is an impressive addition to any kid’s bedroom. According to most customers’ feedback, this weighted blanket has truly helped several customers with improved quality of sleep.
However, one complaint we’ve noted from several of the negative reviews is on leakage of glass beads which is due to poor stitching.
4. Weighted Idea Cool Weighted Blanket
The Weighted Idea Cool Weighted Blanket is an affordable blanket that will assure you quality performance without having to break the bank. It features a top layer made of 100% cotton fabric followed by 7 layers of highly breathable fabrics.
These layers consists of two polyester layers, two non-glue polyester paddings and a center layer of non-toxic, odorless, hypoallergenic beads. The layers are sewn together into smaller pockets to prevent the fillings from shifting or making noise.
This weighted blanket is available in various sizes and weights which include; 5lbs (36”×48”), 7lbs (41” ×60”) 12lbs (48” ×78”) and 17lbs (60” ×80”) among others.
Features of the Weighted Idea Cool Weighted Blanket
- Superb stitching technique: To guarantee durability, Weighted Idea has tailored this blanket with a stitching technique that involves small sewn pockets with box patterns to prevent the beads from shifting or making noise while sleeping.
- A 7-layered design: Similar to most high-profile weighted blankets, this one too features a 7-layered structure that provides optimal temperature control and weight distribution throughout the bed. This structure also gives this blanket its superior shape and helps to hold the beads in place to prevent leakage to enhance durability.
- The cotton fabric used at the top is soft and breathable.
- The small pockets structure helps to distribute the beads evenly to prevent sagging.
- Comes in a variety of different sizes and colors.
There have been complains about the blanket being to hot.
This weighted blanket is said to improve the quality of sleep immensely. The quality of construction has also been commended by reviewers.
However, there were reviews from customers who complained about the blanket getting to hot.
5. Harkla Weighted Blanket for Kids
The Harkla Weighted Blanket is a popular choice and a highly recommended option for kids who need a calming effect to sleep soundly. Lightweight in nature, this blanket is exactly what your kid needs as its plush, soft, and extremely gentle giving your kid the feeling of sleeping on the clouds.
The reason why this blanket has gained a stunning success is due to its remarkable construction. Designed with a new and improved stitching coupled with a plush minky fabric at the top, this blanket is able to conform to your body giving you a soothing effect when sleeping or just resting.
Alongside the blanket, there’s a dedicated duvet cover that’s extremely soft and easily removable for easy machine washing.
Harkla weighted blanket is available in a variety of different sizes and weights which are enough to fit a variety of scenarios. Among the sizes that will fit your kid’s sleeping demands include; 5/7lbs (38”×75” for twin beds), 10/15lbs (53”×75” for full beds), and 20lbs (60”×80” for Queen beds).
Features of the Harkla Weighted Blanket
- Conveniently washable cover: This blanket comes with a dual-piece duvet cover that’s easily removable for machine washing. The cover is tremendously soft and plush making it extremely smooth and flexible when covering your body.
- Hypoallergenic beads: Glass beads used in this weighted blanket are odor free and hypoallergenic so as so minimize symptoms for allergy sufferers by keeping allergens at bay.
- Great sensory input: Since this blanket is intended to be used by kids, Harkla has opted to add dotted accessories on top of the fabric to give it a more hugging and massing effect.
- Comes highly recommended for kids with sensory issues.
- The top consists of a fluffy, plush and minky cotton material for maximum comfort and coziness.
- The 2-piece duvet style top cover is removable for easy machine washing and drying.
- Hypoallergenic beads used for filling hence kids with allergies can find respite in this blanket.
- This blanket is not constructed using baffle boxes meaning weight may not always be distributed evenly throughout the blanket.
From most of the reviews, the Harkla Weighted Blanket is a remarkably successful blanket that has really help to improve the quality of sleep for not only kids, but adults as well. It’s highly favored for super soft and plush feel as well being lightweight with the capacity to offer comfort without being overly bulky.
6. Roore Children’s Weighted Blanket with Dotted Minky Cover
Tailored to offer you unmatched performance, Roore Children’s Weighted Blanket is constructed with a 2-in-1 design that features an inner blanket concealed with an outer dotted minky duvet insert. The cover is designed with a concealed zipper for easy removal of the blanket when cleaning. This duvet cover is a major advantage as it gives your weighted blanket more years of service as it doesn’t deteriorate due to repeated washing cycles.
On the inside, this blanket contains a soft microfiber lining that holds the hypoallergenic glass beads.
Although it’s only available in Blue, this blanket comes in two major sizes and weights for kids including; 5lbs (36”×48”) and 15lbs (48”×72”), among other sizes.
Features of the Roore Children’s Weighted Blanket
- 2-in-1 design: Similar to what we saw with the Harkla Weighted Blanket, the Roore Children’s Weighted Blanket too is designed with a 2-in-1 design that includes an inner soft microfiber blanket concealed inside a removable dotted minky duvet cover.
- Safe glass beads filling: Since this blanket is designed to be more comfortable and efficient than traditional bedding, Roore has used hypoallergenic, toxic-free and odorless glass beads .
- The glass beads are hypoallergenic and toxic-free, making this blanket safe for use by kids even those with with respiratory issues.
- Comes with a removable and easily washable cover to ensure the durability of your blanket.
- It’s affordably priced.
- This blanket may not always distribute weight evenly due to shifting of the glass beads as it’s not constructed using the baffle box design.
A high number of customers have appreciated the competitive price and the unmatched performance of this blanket, with many kids loving it and sleeping much better as a result. It’s super soft texture and sensory stimulating nature is said to go a long way in providing the much needed comfort and helping to calm them down.
7. Buzio Weighted Blanket for Kids
If you’re looking for a mix of quality, performance and affordability then the Buzio Weighted Blanket for Kids is a great option worth considering.
Regarded as a non-drug therapy for kids suffering from anxiety and other mental conditions, this blanket is designed to be 7—12% of your kid’s weight to naturally relax their body and make them feel like they’re been hugged .
Buzio Weighted Blanket is made of 100% breathable all natural cotton fabric that’s not only soft but also skin-friendly. Inside the cotton fabric there are silica beads which like every great and superior weighted blanket, are non-toxic, odorless and hypoallergenic.
When it comes to maintenance, the Buzio Weighted Blanket is easily machine washed with a low gentle setting to prevent any possible damages. The sewing technique is top-notch as it features small baffle boxes that allow even weight distribution throughout the blanket.
Finally about the weight, this blanket is engineered to suit kids from the ages of 6 years and is available in various weights and sizes such as; 5lbs (36”×48” for 30-70lbs kids), 7lbs (41”×56” for 50-90lbs kids), 10lbs (41”×60” for 80-120lbs kids), 12lbs (48”×72” for 100-120lbs kids) and 15lbs (48”×72” for 130-170lbs kids) among other sizes.
Features of the Buzio Weighted Blanket
- Breathable and organic fabric for all seasons: This blanket is made of 100% quality organic cotton that’s breathable and soft to the touch. The fillings on the other hand are hypoallergenic, odorless and non-toxic silica beads that are safe and unable to cause any health issues your kids may have or make worse.
- Baffle box design: Weighted blankets constructed using the baffle box design are the best in terms of even weight distribution at all times. The baffle boxes prevent the bead fillings from shifting to a particular side thus making one side heavier than another, which for all intents and purposes would defeat its objective.
- It’s lightweight and breathable for all year round use.
- This blanket is constructed using high grade sewing technique to ensure durability and prevent leakage while maintaining even weight distribution throughout.
- This weighted blanket doesn’t come with an outer cover for convenient washing of just the cover, instead of the whole blanket.
Buzio Weighted Blanket is a fantastic bedding that lives up to its promises. The engineering is magnificent and the price is affordable. Though there have been complains about leakage, most customers have positive things to say about this blanket, appreciating the fact that it doesn’t get too hot while sleeping in addition to its great performance overall .
Several customer with restless leg syndrome have also come forward to commend this weighted blanket for helping to change the quality of their sleep for the better.
8. Jollyvogue Weighted Blanket for Kids
If you’re looking for a blanket with great performance without necessarily digging too deep into your pocket, the Jollyvogue Weighted Blanket is another affordable options for kids suffering from high anxiety and other disorders.
The glass beads used are odorless and non-toxic and the double layer of cotton fabrics offer a spongy plush and extremely soft padding that give your kid the required comfort when sleeping.
Jollyvogue blanket is tailored using a baffle box sewing technique that distributes the beads inside small boxes to prevent shifting and uneven weight distribution.
This blanket is available in a variety of different colors and it comes in various sizes for both kids and adults and weights such as; 5lbs (36”×48”), 7lbs (41”×60”), 10lbs, 12lbs (48”×72”) 15lbs, and 17lbs respectively.
Features of the Jollyvogue Weighted Blanket
- Baffle box design: Hands down the best the of constructed for a blanket that ensures optimal weight distribution throughout.
- Reinforced stitching: Another key feature that this weighted blanket is at the top of the board when it comes to top quality stitching that prevents beads from leakage for enhanced durability.
- This blanket is available at least 5 cool colors to choose from.
- Even weight distribution is maintained at ll times due to the baffle box pockets that hold the beads in place and prevent shifting.
- Unless you want to have to regularly wash your blanket, you will need to get a removable Duvet Cover that is Sold Separately.
Overall, the Jollyvogue Weighted Blanket is a quality blanket that delivers on its promises. Customers have appreciated the good stitching, even distribution of filling and the overall superb quality. It has helped many people who had issues falling or staying asleep sleep better and stay asleep longer.
9. Weighted Blankets Plus LLC for Kids
Comfort and relaxation are just a few of the magnificent benefits that make the Weighted Blankets Plus one of the best blankets to buy.
This weighted blanket is tailored from a soft soothing cotton flannel fabric that has been sewn with patterns. These patterns are designed with the intention of giving this blanket an elegant and fun appearance. Since this weighted blanket is intended for kids, the fillings used are hypoallergenic, non-toxic and odorless thereby safe for kids.
Last but not least, this blanket is available in several major sizes for small kids including; Small (measuring 48”x30”), Medium (measuring 58”x41”) and Large (measuring 72”x42”). There are several sizes and color choices to chose from for small kids, teens and adults.
Features of the Weighted Blankets Plus
- Quality sewing technique: One of the most remarkable features that has made this blanket to standout is its quality sewing technique. This one has been double sewn to perfection using to prevent beads from leaking through.
- Favorite kids cartoon Characters featured: Prominent cartoons and cartoon characters have been incorporated into the pattern of the blankets including Star Wars, Frozen Characters, Minnie Mouse, Ninja Turtle Warriors and other fun cartoons.
- Every body is catered for here as blankets are available in a variety of sizes, weights, and patterns
- Made from 100% durable cotton and flannel for extra comfort and durability.
- Fun patterns with famous children cartoon characters on the blanket cover rather than the usual one plain color we see with most blankets.
- There may be some shifting of filing.
This blanket comes highly recommended for people with kids with autism, sensory issues and trouble sleeping among other disorders. It’s said to not only be top quality, but also delivers a very soothing weight to stimulate a great night’s sleep, just as promised!
10. GnO Weighted Blanket for Kids
GnO Weighted Blanket is tailored from a luxuriously soft organic cotton fabric that’s stitched with 400TC for enhanced breathability and comfort.
This is them followed with a layer of premium micro glass beads to provide enough comforting pressure when sleeping. The stitching is top-notch and the baffle box construction is enough to secure the glass beads to allow for even distribution of the fillings throughout the blanket.
Additionally, GnO Weighted Blanket includes a dedicated bamboo duvet cover that’s made from high-grade bamboo known to be silky soft, breathable and environmentally safe. It also comes with a plush carry bag that’s attractive and easily washable.
Available in King and Queen Sizes, this blanket comes in a number of sizes and weights that include; 5lbs (36”×48”), 7lbs (41”×60”), 10lbs, 15lbs (60”×80”), 20lbs, 25lbs (80”×87”) and 30lbs (80”×87”) respectively.
Features of the GnO Weighted Blanket
- Unique 5-layer construction: to keep you calm and well supported, this blanket is designed with a superior 5-layer construction that includes a breathable 100% cotton top layer, two layers of breathable fabric and a layer of premium micro glass beads.
- 100% bamboo duvet cover: GnO Solutions has used the highest-grade bamboo material to tailor a cover that’s breathable, insulating, soft, and environmentally safe. This cover is machine washable and soft for assured comfort.
- This blanket is tailored from 100% organic cotton that’s soft and very plush.
- The bamboo fabric used in the cover is soft, hypoallergenic and environmentally safe.
- This blanket is very breathable making it usable in any season.
- Even distribution of weight throughout due to the baffle boxes.
- The weight is not evenly distributed throughout the blanket.
From the look of things, the GnO Weighted Blanket is a quality bedding that delivers the necessary comfort when sleeping. According to a vast majority of online customers, this blanket has truly delivered on superior material composition and comfort. Some customers even claimed to be surprised at how cool it felt and did not seem to get overly hot. The carry bag was also seen to be very thoughtful as it came handy for storage purposes when the blanket was no longer needed.
Overall, this is claimed to provide value for money as its a total package product, complete with a weighted blanket, blanket cover and carry bag.
What to look For in Weighted Blankets for Kids—Buyer’s Guide
Buying a weighted blanket is not just a walk in the pack. There are those key pointers you need to look at to ensure that what you buy is the best possible to fulfill your kid’s sleeping demands. Whether it’s the fabric, the size, the quality or the weight, here are some factors that will help you make an informed decision to avoid wasting money on the wrong weighted blanket .
Perhaps the most important aspect of a weighted blanket is the weight. According to most professionals, it’s recommended that you choose a blanket that’s around 10% of your overall body weight. With such calculations, you’ll be able to select a weighted blanket that will offer even weight distribution enough to massage your body during sleeping hours. These blankets weigh from 5 to 30 pounds though there are “one size-fits-all” alternatives which you can fold in certain ways to add or reduce weight.
One of the common errors most shoppers make when choosing a weighted blanket is determining which size is right for them. You see, you don’t need to buy an entire Queen size or King size weighted blanket for it to fit in your kid’s bed perfectly. Instead, what you need to do is look for a blanket that covers your kid from the chin to the feet and that’s all. Unlike comforters and blankets, weighted blankets don’t need to hang off too far or else they’ll slide off the bed when sleeping.
3. Style and fabric
Weighted blankets come in a variety of different colors, patterns and fabrics to suit a variety of different tastes and aesthetics. In addition to style, these blankets come in a wide array of different fabrics which you choose depending on your sensory preference. Cotton is the most common among th best quality types.
When it comes to style and design there are many designs to look out for including those with dots on the surface for improved sensory stimulation and so much more more, depending on the brand.
Worth noting however, is that weighted blankets with baffle box design are usually the best for even distribution of weight. These baffle boxes are essentially filler beads sewn into pockets. These pockets prevent the beads from shifting thereby ensuring weight is evenly distributed at all times.
3. Price range
Another crucial key pointer you need to consider before choosing a weighted blanket is your budget. You see, weighted blankets can be surprisingly pricey. Since the blanket is intended for your kids, you need to consider your kid’s age and for how long he or she will be using the blanket. If it’s for a short term, it’s worth buying a budget blanket, and there are plenty of those and if it’s for a long term, a relatively pricey blanket will be worth the purchase.
4. Filler type
One silent feature most people tend to forget when shopping for a weighted blanket is the filler type. Fillers come in a wide range of materials ranging from glass, plastic to foam beads. Since the main purpose of a weighted blanket is to distribute weight evenly to fulfill that hugging effect, choosing a blanket with high-quality fillings such as glass will ensure that weight is distributed evenly throughout the blanket.
5. Availability of a removable Cover
Another convenient but not necessary factor you may want to take into account is whether your weighted blanket comes with a cover. Kids will be kids and washing the blanket routinely may be necessary. But a weighted blanket can be heavy and difficult to clean and dry, not to mention there are longevity and performance concerns from regular rigorous washing. So for the convenience of fast and easy cleaning as well as to enhance the integrity and durability of your weighted blanket a removable cover may be handy to have.
As a parent, we endeavor to provide the best possible environment for our kids to enjoy a good night’s sleep. Sleep has a host of numerous benefits to both kids and adults ranging from enhancing proper growth and development to improved mood and health.
But, with some kids suffering from symptoms associated with sleep disorders such as autism, anxiety, ADD, and ADHD, there is a need to employ more than the traditional methods to ensure the well being of such kids with beddings such as weighted blankets to ensure a better quality of sleep.