Time’s a-changing and moving forward fast and so should you.
With the increase of more and more work-at-home individuals and schools implementing home-schooling, the need for an efficient thermostat has never been this great. Some of us stay at home half the time and do everything from there, from our office works to family time, so a well-maintained home temperature is imperative. That is why it’s not enough now to just have a thermostat.
What you need is a smart thermostat, one that can even connect with voice assistants like Alexa.
But if you are new to smart thermostats, you might be thinking of it as just an unnecessary luxury, trusting that a basic thermostat would do.
While your good old thermostat can serve you the basics, you might want to consider the fact that cooling and heating your home is actually responsible for at least half of your energy costs, so getting a home device that will be responsible for efficiently managing them is crucial.
An inaccurate thermostat can cause more unnecessary wasted energy and can do more bad than good.
If like most people now, you are always on the rush with an ever changing and unexpected work life, or lifestyle in general, you would definitely need a thermostat that can take care not only of its own but can take care of you, as well.
So What Makes a Great Smart Thermostat?
A well-made thermostat can act like a butler of the house for you or even a secretary. Yes, you’ve read that right.
A great smart thermostat is not only smart but energy efficient, as well. Not only can they fulfil the basics like controlling the cooling and heating systems of your house, but they can save more energy than you would ever imagine you are capable of, like the ones we have compiled on our list below.
Most smart thermostats will automatically create a schedule for you based on your daily routine, give you energy consumption data and history, and save energy when you are away from home. Some even have more extra features.
If you are ready to be relieved a little of the heavy burden that is creating a comfortable, efficient life and let a smart thermostat manage for you, read on to find out the things you have to know in choosing one.
Let us start with the most trusted brands you have to know about;
Best Smart Thermostats Brands
Anyone who is well versed about thermostats would very well know the name Honeywell. It’s a classic and it’s iconic, being the first company to develop a programmable thermostat.
Honeywell is basically the grand-daddy of the thermostats that we now enjoy. Who would not know the vintage Honeywell round thermostat? But the company has since gone a long way and is continuously innovating for more than one hundred years now.
Starting with the first programmable thermostat in 1906 and the analog thermostats in the 1980s, Honeywell is now well-known for their smart thermostats, as well.
Featuring self-learning capabilities, Wi-Fi connectivity and even compatibility with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Samsung SmartThings among others, this pacesetter of a company is successfully staying true to its undertaking which is serving the global community while delivering groundbreaking innovation.
Honeywell is also known for their all too familiar design that does not deviate much from its original programmable thermostat’s look, but it is now only sleeker and glossier, giving you the stylish high-end look without losing the familiar feel of comfort that users have known for years.
If you want to start out with a well-known and very much trusted brand but do not want to risk spending too much, Honeywell offers many models that come in unbelievably low prices while delivering smart, high-end feel and results that you can get with other well-known brands.
Next on our list is the architect of the first functional smart thermostats that are making our lives a breeze today, Ecobee.
Let us give it to Ecobee for being the first to develop the once unrecognized and underrated thermostat into the smart ones we have today and sparking a now very much alive competition in the smart thermostat industry as it did.
Initially starting out the company because of his desire to leave as less carbon footprint on the planet as possible and reduce his home’s energy usage, CEO Stuart Lombard went on to create the first smart thermostat that is tailor-made according to his ideals of full efficiency and planet-friendliness.
Upon purchasing a programmable thermostat and dissecting it, he found out that the current thermostat was not reliable enough.
So with that goal in mind, the company Ecobee was created.
Remarkably energy-efficient and planet-friendly, not to mention, way easier to use and program than the existing thermostat then, Ecobee truly understood the struggle of the ordinary homeowner and thermostat user.
Ecobee’s most distinguished feature that is unique to the brand is their multi-purpose sensors that you can place in different parts of your house so your thermostat is not heating up only one room that you do not use anyway but the actual room where you are currently in.
Now that is a clever way to save energy, is it not!
With its compatibility with voice assistant Alexa, easy installation, an app that lets you control your thermostats from anywhere and their unique room sensors, all coming in very affordable prices and even lite versions, Ecobee sure is living true to their name while giving homeowners a comfortable everyday life while being sustainable.
Once upon a time, a frustrated, ahead-of-his-time man had decided that the current modern thermostat was not making it for him and it had not been innovated for decades. And that is where the learning thermostat entered the scene.
Realizing that about 50% of Americans’ energy bills and as much as 10% of all U.S. energy actually come from thermostats, a passionate motivation was developed in its founder, former senior vice president of Apple’s iPod unit, Tony Fadell to innovate the traditional thermostat with the goal of making it more user-friendly, planet-friendly and do more than just regulate the temperature, all while looking “sexy”.
Now on its third generation, Google Nest is established as one of the most popular makers and pioneers of the smart thermostat and is synonymous with sleek, easy and efficient heating.
Their units boast of easy installation, which can take you less than an hour to complete, flexible aesthetics offering you numerous designs so your thermostat can match with your home interior’s design as well, and of course, self-learning capabilities.
Their smart thermostats can make the schedule for you through implementation of algorithms and sensors to know when you are and are not home and adjust the temperature based on your behaviors and preferences so you save more energy at the same time.
Moreover, Google’s smart thermostats can connect with Wi-Fi, as well and also works with voice assistants such as Alexa, so you won’t have to find your phone or go to your thermostat to adjust and command, staying true to Google Nest’s promise of a connected and helpful home.
Built on decades of experience, the Emerson thermostat is for the no-fuss simply practical homeowner that prefers a straightforward but highly innovative smart home.
Emerson has been making thermostats since the early 1900s and has known very well the most common dilemmas of the majority of homeowners and is continuously developing more exciting smart thermostat lines that can effectively provide solutions to every lifestyle there is.
With its wide, responsive color screen and sophisticated minimalistic design, an Emerson thermostat is easy to navigate and understand while its features are, in a good way, not as simple.
Of course, there is the weekly schedule that is imperative to any smart thermostat.
Emerson thermostats let you schedule your whole week with its app or you can also customize each day.
It also has an early start feature that prepares the temperature of your home before the scheduled time so you will not be walking in to a chilly room after you get out of bed in the morning.
Moreover, this humble, wallflower of a thermostat also boasts Wi-Fi connectivity and integrations with other home automation platforms such as voice assistant Alexa that lets you control your thermostat with your voice, among other interesting features.
Now that you know the basics, below are some thermostat that can go perfectly with your family and lifestyle.
Review of the Best Smart Thermostats Compatible with Alexa
1. Google T3019US, Nest Learning 3rd Gen, Smart Thermostat with Alexa
This smart thermostat from Google Nest’s 3rd Generation will feel like an old family member that knows you very well with its self-learning and adjusting capabilities.
From the very first day in its new home, it works hard to adapt to your lifestyle, learning your habits and preferences with its smart sensors so in the upcoming weeks, it will almost feel like you do not have a thermostat to program at home but a home companion that does all the work for you and makes sure that you are living the most comfortable life while making your way through your busy weekly schedules.
Furthermore, saving energy and being planet positive is now an uncomplicated affair because this Nest masterpiece is made just to do that.
With its energy and history report features, you will be able to track your energy consumption while getting tips on how to save more.
It also boasts of a Far-Sight feature that impressively senses if you enter a room and quickly lights up to show you the updates through the thermostat’s display.
Not to mention it comes in an ultra-modern and sleek design with its round face protected by a shell that comes in different cool finishes and textures so you are not only improving the quality of your home but the aesthetic, as well.
- Dimensions: 3.3 x 3.3 x 1.21 inches and a 2.1″ a display with a 480 x 480 resolution
- Colors: Polished steel, Black, Brass, Copper, Mirror Black,
- It’s convenient Wi-Fi capability lets you connect to your existing home network, giving you a perfectly connected smart home.
- The Far-Sight feature which lights up as soon as you enter a room to display the time, temperature and other updates even from afar.
- Temperature control from other devices so you can monitor and control the comfort of your sanctuary wherever you may be.
- It is compatible with 95% of your heating and cooling systems.
- With Auto-Away Technology that turns itself down when it senses that you are away conserving more energy effortlessly.
- Compatible with voice assistants Google Assistant and Alexa so you will not have to find your phone or the thermostat to be able to command it.
Although this cutting-edge beauty may have intimidated a few customers at first, many have realized that it was actually easy to install on their own with the amazingly easy and detailed instructions provided.
The most popular feature among the satisfied customers is the Far-Sight mode, which catches your presence even when you are about ten feet away with the lights off. This Google Nest thermostat will also remind you when it is about time to change the air filters on your furnace, basing it on its count of how many times you turned the furnace on and off, which the users appreciated.
After just a month of use, a significant drop in energy consumption was reflected in most customers’ bills which sealed the deal, proving that it is indeed the one smart thermostat that pays for itself.
2. Ecobee3 Lite 2nd Gen Smart Thermostat
If you are entirely new to the world of smart thermostats, this Ecobee3 Lite is for you. With its glossy black interface that looks extra posh on any wall and its integrated touchscreen panels, who would believe that this sleek home gadget comes in a very affordable price?
Featuring Ecobee’s very own room sensors that you can place in numerous rooms that matter within your home, you can now control and balance the temperature for the different parts of your home instead of having your thermostat work in a room that is even rarely used like in a hallway, helping you save up to 23% annually on your heating or cooling costs.
This is just one of its many features that will let you save more energy than you would ever think you are capable of.
More impressive, is its capability to work with your favorite smart home setups including Apple Homekit, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and many more.
For first time users, it is also very convenient that this thermostat’s facade is very much the same with the design of its Android or iPhone app, so you will not have any trouble adjusting and getting used so as to be able to control it remotely.
- Dimensions: 4.05 x 1 x 4.05 inches with a responsive color touchscreen
- With a glossy black finish for an elegant look that goes well with any interior design.
- It works with Ecobee’s very own room sensors which can detect if you are home or not so it can signal to your Ecobee thermostat whether to switch to the right mode for comfort or switch to “Away mode” if you are not home, thus saving more unused energy (2-pack sold separately).
- You can now control your thermostat even if you are not home. This Ecobee3 lite works with iOS(phone,iPad, Apple watch) or any Android device. The Ecobee mobile app can be downloaded from the App store or Google Play. It is also compatible with Gas, oil, electric, dual fuel, Conventional (2H/2C), Heat Pump (4H/2C)
- It comes with a Power Extender Kit that connects your thermostat to your furnace to get the energy for it to work so you will not be needing any batteries anymore.
- It also works with your favorite smart home setups including Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Microsoft Cortana, Samsung SmartThings and Wink among others.
Several of the first-time customers are smart thermostat users and they were very pleased and amazed by how easy the installation went. Aside from the precise installation guide that comes with this unit, the Ecobee app also has an installation help with easy step by step guide, videos and instructions that greatly relieved the new users of the messy struggle and anxiety that usually comes with installing a smart home device and fiddling with wirings. Some customers also noted how since the initial installation of their own Ecobee3 Lite, they have not touched any thermostats at all for all controls were done with voice commands like Alexa and Geofence, as well.
Users also loved the “follow” function of the room sensors that lets them use and enjoy every part of the house without losing the comfortable temperature, truly maximizing the efficiency of their new thermostats. But the one thing that they loved the most was how they were able to get rebates from their landowners for getting such eco-friendly and energy-saving home device and a noticeable drop in their bills was reflected after a short period of time.
3. Emerson Sensi ST75 Touch Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat with Touchscreen Color Display
If you are looking for a thermostat that is smart and functional but with less flamboyance and other things that you do not need, then the Emerson Sensi Touch thermostat is your best bet.
With its rectangular body and wide responsive touchscreen, Emerson Sensi Touch is a breath of fresh air.
It is straightforward and easy to install, with illumination at the unit’s backside to help you see the wires during installation.
Its mobile app will also walk you through the process with easy-to-understand videos and manuals.
This smart beauty is compatible with most HVAC equipment found in most homes with the aid of a common wire or a C-wire and also works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, and Samsung SmartThings smart home platforms to set your ideal smart home.
The schedule set-up is straightforward, letting you schedule your temperatures for the whole week or customize it for each day, optimized by its Geofencing feature that automatically puts the thermostat into energy-saving mode when you are away from home.
- Dimensions: 3 x 9.7 x 8.4 inches
- With a sleek rectangular body and a wide screen that lights up blue if in cooling mode and red if in heating mode.
- Adjust the temperature all you want with its flexible scheduling, remote access using its mobile app and Geofencing to save 23% on HVAC energy usage.
- Easy installation-its mobile app will guide you with its in depth manuals and videos for a foolproof installation that can be done under one hour.
- Also works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, and Samsung SmartThings smart home platforms.
- You can monitor your energy usage , current or historical through its mobile app so you can get an idea on how save more wasted energy.
- You can get rebates with the help of Emerson Sensi’s rebate finder at sensi.emerson.com/rebates.
- With a Smart Alert that signals you of extreme temperature and humidity.
The happy customers can’t believe that this Emerson Sensei Touch comes at such an affordable price especially after learning the things that this conversation starter can do. Most users took only about 10 minutes to set it all up and get the unit up and running with the help of its mobile app’s comprehensive installation guide. It also amazingly features a night-mode or dimming feature for its wide screen, which is quite uncommon with most smart thermostats. The changing color of the screen’s background depending on what mode it is in also provided a nice aesthetic to the customer’s wall.
The Alexa feature also delighted several customers. It can even change from Heat to Cool, which, the customers noted, other thermostats with an Alexa feature can’t do. According to the rave reviews, this is the one smart thermostat that gives you all the basic necessities that you are looking for at a very satisfying price.
4. Honeywell Home RTH9585WF1004 Alexa Ready Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat
After decades of innovation and making history, Honeywell has already established a trusted name within the thermostat industry. We will always remember those amazing vintage Honeywell thermostats that definitely set the standards but today, this classic brand is very much fixed to set another breakthrough with their Smart RTH9585WF1004 Color Thermostat.
The perfect balance of quiet sophistication and impressive technology, this Honeywell smart thermostat will never let you sacrifice style for comfort with features such as a sleek and smooth hardware with a vivid color display that you can customize into any color to suit the room aesthetic that you are going for.
In addition to its basic thermostat functions, it also features a flexible programming option that lets you tailor the thermostat’s schedule around your lifestyle and is also compatible with voice platforms such as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
Moreover, it has intelligent alerts to signal you when your air filters need changing or if your internet connection starts to dwindle among many other things.
- Dimensions: 3.5 x 4.5 x 0.88 inches with a sleek gray body
- It is Energy Star certified so it adjusts to your pre-programmed schedule, thus you will not be worrying about the status of your furnace while you are away on a trip or vacation anymore as it saves the energy that is not being used while you are away which also qualifies your Wi-Fi thermostat for utility rebates in your area.
- Its bright and vivid wide screen can be personalized to any color of your choosing so it fits the theme of your room and can also be dimmed down for night time.
- Reminds you with intelligent alerts when your air filters need changing, the Hi/Lo temperature notification, loss and restoration of your internet connection and humidifier pad change.
- With Smart Response Technology that determines if your room needs cooling or heating and how much, setting it ahead of time so you will be stepping into a comfortably heated room right at the scheduled time.
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa, SmartThings, Google Home, IFTTT
What the customers loved with this Honeywell unit is its hardware’s look that is conveniently similar to the brand’s traditional thermostat, only more modern and stylish, making it a friendly smart thermostat for all ages in any house, eliminating a possible learning curve. Its casing and design is also as flexible, with its silverish gray hue, it can fit perfectly with any color scheme there is. Its LCD screen offers a vivid and bright interface with which you can also customize the background color to any shade you fancy and you can dim it down as well.
Users also raved how much they loved the fact that they can make their schedule day by day, a feature which was unknown to them with their old thermostats. Furthermore, you can also check and adjust the temperature of your home even when you are out at work or any place, all through your phone.
5. Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat for Smart Home
If you are a busy individual with no time for any flair and just wants a smart home thermostat to aid you in making your times at home much easier and comfortable, then this Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Smart thermostat fits the bill perfectly.
With its smart, no-nonsense design that still manages to look great and posh in any interior, its features are made just for the ultimate comfort fit for any lifestyle.
It is also compatible with most HVAC systems, even If you don’t have a C-wire in most cases, making your life a breeze even with the installation.
This Energy Star certified unit can be programmed for certain occasions or for a regular schedule to go with your everyday routine, eliminating any worrying about manually changing your thermostat every single time.
Moreover, it works with voice commands such as Alexa so you save more time instead of physically walking to the thermostat or finding your phone.
- Dimensions: 3.75 x 5.88 x 1 inches
- Energy Star certified that helps you with saving more and cutting off some of your energy costs with its 7-day flexible scheduling, Geofencing, and remote, in-app access.
- Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit (c-wire required), and Samsung SmartThings smart home platforms.
- You can also monitor current and historical heating, cooling and fan runtimes through its mobile app.
Even starters who don’t know much about wirings were able to set this up in less than an hour with the help of a comprehensive guide on its mobile app. Upon getting this certain Emerson model, users were able to get rebates after some months of use, such that it felt like they didn’t spend too much on this smart thermostat. Customers were able to heave a sigh of relief, feeling like they’re freer to do the things they love now with less worry about their home’s heating and cooling system with control at their fingertips.
6. Google E Nest Automated Climate Alexa Ready Thermostat
The Google E Nest Automated Climate thermostat is already a prize to have with its outstanding aesthetics starting with its round body that alludes to modern elegance, down to its high-quality plastic material with a frosted display that makes it look like the graphics are etched beneath the screen, letting it gracefully blend in the background without being plain.
Carrying Google Nest’s trademark of a functional, highly intelligent thermostat, it learns your habits and temperature preferences in no time and then programs itself.
It also features an energy history option where you can track your energy consumption so you can plan and decide on how to save your energy more. Upon choosing a temperature that saves energy, the iconic Nest Leaf appears as a token of approval.
- Dimensions: 6.46 x 4.88 x 2.32 inches with a round interface and a frosted glass finish
- It has a Home/Away option that smartly adjusts itself into the fitting temperature or Eco Temperature after you leave so you are not heating an empty home.
- A remote control that lets family members change the temperature or settings on your Google Nest thermostat from anywhere using a phone, tablet, laptop and the like.
- You can monitor your energy usage through your phone so you can make an effective plan on how to efficiently save more energy, and when you do, the Nest Leaf appears on the screen.
- It is also available with Alexa, Google Assistant, and other smart speakers so you can adjust the temperature with the command of your voice.
- It also works with the Nest Temperature Control Sensors that is sold separately, for the maximum comfort and balanced temperature throughout your whole house.
- It also comes with a wall plate for installation.
Customers were worried at first that this particular Google Nest unit will not be sturdy in the long run because of its plastic build. But upon getting the package, they were pleasantly surprised by the solid ceramic-like finish of the thermostat’s body, which even contributed to its classy look and add that to its luxurious-looking frosted glass finish and you have got yourself a looker.
They were also amazed over the fact that their Google thermostats do actually learn their habits and everyday routines and after some time, do not require the user to program it because the thermostat will program itself based on the data it gathered. The face plate also proved to be very useful when doing a replacement for an old, much bigger thermostat. This unit’s capability to save more energy was also proven by the company rebates the users were getting, which makes the cost of this unit totally worth it.
7. Honeywell Home Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat
Do you want the cutting-edge technology of a smart thermostat but are not ready to spend too much for a trial period yet? If you think you have to spend a ton to experience the ultimate comfort that a smart thermostat commands, then think again because Honeywell has the perfect Wi-Fi enabled thermostat for you that can deliver what other smart ones can, cased in your favorite classic programmable thermostat look.
This Honeywell Home Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat delivers all the basics to set your home into the comfortable haven that it should be along with a classic, easy to use interface that is also friendly to any kind of users.
Like most smart thermostats, it also gives you the ability to control it remotely anywhere you may be.
It also has a 7-day programming which gives you 4 periods per day to meet almost any scheduling scenario for ultimate flexibility.
It also works with Alexa, Google Assistants among many other platforms.
- Dimensions: 5.75 x 1.5 x 3.5 inches with a white rectangle body and LCD screen
- It is compatible with any system type except electric boards. It also requires C-wire to run
- With a 7-day programming and 4 program periods per day to meet almost any scheduling situation.
- This Wi-Fi enabled thermostat allows for remote access via smart-phone or computer through its free smartphone app for iPhone, iPad and Android operating systems.
- Also comes with Thermostat, Wall plate (attached to thermostat), Screws and anchors, Quick Start Guide, Thermostat ID Card, Wire labels, User Guide, Quick Reference Card, G Wire Jumper Cable.
- Works with Alexa, Google Assistant, Samsung SmartThings, IFTTT, Bonomi, Wink, and Stringy (devices sold separately).
Customers who prefer the classical thermostat look but still want to venture into the smart thermostat threshold loved this unit. From the first day of installation, they can’t remember a time when they had to stand in front of the thermostat again because everything was done using their phones and other wireless devices, which proved very convenient and time-saving. They also loved the voice command option which made their everyday life much easier. The installation was a breeze and so was the price.
8. Mysa Smart Alexa Ready Thermostat for Electric Baseboard Heaters
Good thing Mysa here has a smart thermostat for electric baseboard heaters that don’t require much programming and a third party hub which proves that this particular unit is here to stay and make your home life easy as pie.
With its intelligent features, it also lets you save about 26% off of your energy costs, proving that it truly can pay for itself.
It also works well with smart integrations like Alexa, Google Assistant, and Apple HomeKit.
- Made for High/Line voltage systems -Mysa works with electric baseboards and electric fan-forced heaters.
- Compatible with like Alexa, Google Assistant, and Apple HomeKit for the seamlessly connected home.
- Modern minimalist design that will certainly command attention from onlookers.
Customers are mostly thankful for the existence of this Mysa smart thermostat. Because most brands only work with low voltage systems and the few other thermostat systems that are made for line voltage aren’t really compatible with Alexa or Google Assistants leave Mysa, the only one that is compatible with voice assistants, to save the day. No more getting up in the middle of the night and walking up to a steaming or freezing room with its convenient features that are made to be the best housemate you will ever have.
Sum Up on Best Smart Thermostats Compatible with Alexa
Running an efficient home can prove to be difficult. That is why more and more people are turning to smart thermostats now to let them manage their homes on their behalf. But most of the time, the smart thermostat is not utilized to its full capacity, wasting energy in the process instead of saving it.
That is why it is crucial to choose the smart thermostat that will definitely work for you and will be a relief instead of a bother. Having an easy to use and easier to understand thermostat with numerous innovative features is your best bet towards an intelligent, energy saving home.