With aging comes wisdom, but also eventual mobility issues! If you have an elderly loved one, you are probably looking for the things you can do or get them to make them happier and their day to day life easier. Going to the toilet can be one of the most difficult tasks for an elderly person, especially if they do not have someone to assist. The loss of strength in their legs, joints and muscles make it difficult for them to comfortably sit on a regular toilet seat. Fortunately, there are specially designed toilet seats and other aids for the elderly that make it a lot easier and comfortable for them to go to the toilet, even without any assistance. In this article, we are going to focus on raised toilet seats for the elderly.
Types of Toilet Seats
Before we move on to some of the best raised toilets seats in the market, it is good to have a general idea about the different toilet seats in the market which are specially designed for the elderly. They provide solutions to common difficulties that elderly persons face such as the lack of strength to properly sit on the toilet seat, losing balance, maintaining stability and not being able to bend the knees too far to sit. These are usually designed in a way that one can easily assemble or disassemble, making it more convenient for elderly persons to handle and maintain it without needing assistance if needed as well.
The following are some of the most common toilet seat designs for the elderly.
Toilet Safety Frame
This fits around the toilet resembling an armchair, which gives something to safely hold when sitting or standing on the toilet, prevent accidental slips and falls which is unfortunately very common among the elderly.
Raised Toilet Seats
This simple product has the ability to make your toilet a few inches higher, helping the elderly with arthritis or similar issues that cause them pain when they try to sit all the way down on the toilet. It fits the contours of the body to comfortably sit and use the toilet just the way you would use a regular toilet. It is easy to remove and travel with as well.
Best Raised Toilet Seats for The Elderly
Below are some of the best rated raised toilet seats for elderly in 2018;
1. Raised Toilet Seat by Vive
Vive offers a bestseller which not only provides a portable elevated rise in its design but also comes complete with padded handles and a toilet seat lift which is entirely safe to use.
An excellent addition for an elderly person, the Vive raised toilet seat is completely comfortable in design, with an ergonomic posture which makes it easy for the user to both sit-down and stand up when using.
Easily attached to most standard toilets, there is no complicated installation required here, and this is a natural product to keep clean.
With additional padded handles lending extra stability for the user, this model offers a 5” raise and ha
s locking plates which are designed to fit the toilet bowl securely.
Customers rate the Vive raised toilet seat as safe and comfortable to use along with having the added benefit of being easily transportable.
- Fits most standard toilets: This raised toilet seat can be used with most of the standard sized toilet seats in both the round and elongated shapes.
- Durable, heavy duty and sturdy construction: In addition to the padded arms, it features an extra strong molded plastic frame that provides extra stability and security for persons of up to 250lbs.
- Comfortable and easy to use. Designed with extra 5 inches of height, getting on and off the seat is easy.
- Easy to install: The installation of the seat does not require any tools and can be fitted securely within seconds.
- Easy to clean: Cleaning of this raised toilet seat is also quite easy. You simply have to wipe the surface with a wet cloth or a tissue.
- Portable: It’s lightweight and convenient to carry and store it with you when traveling for added support and convenience when going to the toilet.
- Guarantee: The product comes with a lifetime guarantee as well.
2. Vaunn Medical Elevated Raised Toilet Seat
Vaunn Medical sells a raised toilet seat and commode riser which comes complete with removable handles and a locking mechanism for when used on toilet seats.
Making use of ergonomic design, this raised toilet seat adds up to 5” of additional height. Long lasting and completely hygienic, this high-quality product has an anti-slip feature and a locking mechanism to ensure ongoing safety when in use.
Customers rate the Vaunn Medical raised toilet seat as a most practical addition to their bathroom, doing the job it claims to do, as well as being a lightweight product when transporting it around.
- Comfortable for user: The 5″ inches of height added to the toilet seat helps individuals sit or get up from toilet easily without much difficulties.
- Stable and safe. The Anti-slip feature and locking mechanism ensure a secure fit on toilet bowl for stability. The removable padded handles also add to the safety and stability.
- Durable: This raised toilet seat is crafted from high quality heavy-duty molded plastic for a strong frame as well as to guarantee durability.
- Hygienic: The plastic used in the construction in addition to being high quality is also has anti-bacterial properties.
- Lightweight and easy to carry. This raised toilet seat weighs less than 5lbs making it easy to store or transport.
- Fast and easy to install: Does not require any tools to assemble and is easy to clean.
- Fits most round toilets: Can be used on most standard round toilets which measure 16.5″.
- Does not work on elongated toilet seats.
Carex provides customers with a straightforward, elevated toilet seat which is designed for sheer practicality by its user.
The seat is hinged and therefore lifts easily for removal or cleaning and can be sued by person of up to 300 lbs.
Customers rate the Carex Elongated Hinged Toilet Seat Riser for its overall sturdiness and hinged feature that makes cleaning easy.
- Comfortable: And perfect solution for those with bending or sitting difficulties.
- Lightweight and portable: It weighs just 3.2 lbs
- Easy to clean: Made easier by the hinged design
- Solid construction
- Can only be used on standard elongated toilet seats.
- Does not include arms for added stability and support.
4. Essential Medical Supply Elevated Toilet Seat with Arms
Essential Medical Supply has designed an elevated toilet seat for elongated toilets with the added benefit of elongated arms.
Simple to clean and stable when in use, the addition of such a smart and unique arm design offers the elderly user a rather uniquely designed product which is a much easier 3.5″ elevated seat to get onto and get off, every time.
Easily installed under a standard toilet seat, the Essential Medical Supply model comes complete with all necessary hardware and instructions to get you up and running in no time and even offers the choice of removing the arms, as and when necessary.
Customers who purchase the Essential Medical Supply elevated toilet seat tend to do so for the extra arm support which they feel offers a more sturdier product overall than other types on the market. However, the additional installation requirements are claimed to be a little more time consuming here.
- Comfortable for users.
- Padded removable arms: For providing support while sitting down or getting up.
- Sturdy build: For guaranteed stability
- Portable: It weighs just 5lbs
- Other design options: There are 3 design options to chose from; hinged design elevated toilet seat, elevated toilet seat with arms and without arms. All 3 styles are available in both elongated shape and the standard round shape.
Vive also offers a raised toilet seat riser which is comprised of an elevated hinged seat lifter and is ideal for the elderly of users.
With an added increase of 3.5” to existing toilet seats, this riser can be fitted under the current toilet seat to make it a more straightforward process for the user to stand up and sit down without having to bend to do so.
With no need for any tools or prior knowledge, this model can be set up quick time and is designed to eliminate any slipping while in use, making it a secure and safe product overall.
This seat riser can be lifted to 90 degrees, therefore making cleaning of it smoother and healthier all round, with a regular wipe down possible with many a household cleaning product.
Customers rate the Vive hinged raised toilet seat riser as easy to install and simple to use, while also being the easier of toiler raisers to clean.
- Comfortable and easy to use.
- Easy to assemble: With no tools required.
- Hinged design: For easy cleaning.
- Durable, sturdy construction: It is strong enough to prevent splitting for extended use and can support up to 350 pounds.
- Guarantee: Product has a 60 day unconditional guarantee.
Benefits of using raised toilet seats and other aids
1. Reduces pain
Chronic pain for various reasons is one of the most common issues that elderly persons face, and unfortunately, it is not something that can be fully cured. What you can do here is to arrange their environments in a way that help them go by their life with reduced pain – which is the purpose of a specially designed toilet seat.
By using a raised seat for the toilet, you are reducing the amount that you have to bend your joints in order to sit. This is especially a great product for arthritis patients since it greatly reduces the pain caused by moving the affected joints.
2. Gives more privacy and dignity
Despite how weak they may get physically, an elderly person may not like being assisted in going to the toilet–which is understandable. Having a better designed toilet gives them the opportunity to have more privacy and dignity that they value.
Having self-confidence and mental happiness is extremely important to being healthy at an old age, and not having to seek assistance to go to the toilet can drastically improve both.
3. Reduces strain on the joints
When sitting on a toilet, you are putting strains on your hip, knees and many other joints which are prone to get weak due to aging. Even if they are not suffering from a joint related issue, reducing the strain on the joints by using a raised toilet seat can prevent any eventual issues that might come over time.
A raised toilet with rails to hold is the best design to go for in order to reduce the strain on hip joints, knees, and neck and prevent any eventual issues in the future.
4. Prevents slip and falls
The special toilet seats with frames and rails to hold on gives an extra level of safety on a generally slippery environment like the toilet. They can hold on to the rail securely and keep themselves stable and safe when sitting and standing.
This gives a sense of safety and confidence to the elderly person, and also for you as someone concerned about them having an accidental fall when going to the toilet when you are away.
5. More comfortable
Comfort is one of the biggest needs of an elderly person. When going to the toilet brings them extreme discomfort, they may even reduce the number of times they go to the toilet even when it is needed, which is harmful to their health. in addition to raised toilet seats, there are padded toilet seats that you can buy to give not only support but also comfort for your elderly loved ones.
How to Choose a Raised Toilet Seat for the Elderly
The following are some of the factors you should consider when you are buying a raised toilet for your loved one.
1. The Height of the Seat
A regular raised toilet seat has a height of 2-6 inches in general and can be chosen according to the level of support needed. The needed height should be calculated according to the height of the person and the pain levels when they bend from the knees and hips. You need to be careful not to choose a seat too low and also too high. Both can be uncomfortable and will not serve the purpose of the seat.
A perfect height seat requires a person to have their feet comfortable on the ground, and sit on the seat securely and easily without having to force the joints until pain occurs.
2. Permanent and Non-Permanent
There are both permanent and semi-permanent toilet seats in the market. If you are buying the toilet seat to help a temporary situation or your elderly relative has to move often and need to carry the seat with them, you can get a non-permanent toilet seat that does not require permanent securing to the toilet. These come with a temporary lock to keep it firmly attached to the toilet when using and remove easily when it needs to be taken off.
Permanent toilet seat raisers required a more difficult installation process, and they are permanently fitted to the toilet. If you are not planning to move the toilet seat often, it is always better to go for a permanent version of the raised toilet seat for better safety and stability.
3. With or without arms
As an added support feature raised toilets also come with arms of rails that you can hold on to when sitting on the seat and standing up. This gives a good grip and an added layer of safety, particularly avoiding slip and falls when trying to sit or stand on the toilet. You can also get a separate set of rails and arms if needed as well, since putting a lot of stain and weight to the arms attached to the raised toilet seat can sometimes cause damages or breaking to the product. A separate arm or a rail would be connected to a different surface, and your raised toilet seat would not have to bear the weight put on the arm or the rails.
4. The shape and the Size
When it comes to something as important to the health as a raised toilet seat, it is very important that you get the right measurements of the toilet in order to make it fit the toilet perfectly. If you make mistakes when it comes to the sizes of the toilet and install it without securing it well, you will be spending your money and also damaging the health of your elderly loved one even more. Make sure that the seat perfectly sits on your toilet, gives the correct boost and height, is locked securely to the toilet in a way that would not make any unfortunate accidents of falling or slipping out.
For an example, if you have an elongated toilet, you need to get the raised toilet seat that actually matches the shape of your toilet rather than going for a cheaper standard version raised the seat and making the situation even more uncomfortable for your elderly loved ones. Your aim should be to turn one of the most accident-prone parts of any house into a safer and more comfortable place, so your loved ones can go to the toilet with dignity and privacy without having to ask for outside help!
Raised toilet seats are a practical choice for not only the elderly but also those who require assistance when using a toilet, given their ability to increase the height of an average toilet seat, thereby reducing the amount of bending needed while ensuring maximum comfort during use not to mention added safety.