Over the years, power generators have evolved tremendously. Thanks to our advanced technology today, from being bulky and loud, leading manufacturers are able to strategically design and carefully create versatile, compact and silent portable inverter generators for reliable power whenever and wherever needed.
Inverter generators are smaller, lightweight, and much quieter generators. The inverter generators draw power from a DC source like solar panels or car battery, and convert it into AC power using electronic circuits.
With advanced technology applied in designing inverter generators, they are considered to be one of the most innovative products. Inverter generators are your “to-go” electricity. If you’re looking for the best inverter generator that delivers electricity on the move, below we have reviews some of the best portable inverter generator units available to purchase online.
What are the Best Portable Inverter Generators and Inverter Generator Brands?
1. Honda Portable Inverter Generators
In the business since 1953, Honda is definitely at the top of the leader board when it comes to inverter generators and offers a vast selection of premium quality and powerful power products all over the world. Their inverter generator units are known to be fuel efficient, of low-emission, utilizing a 4-stroke engines for optimal performance.
Our best Honda Inverter generators reviewed on this article include;
- Honda EU3000iS
- Honda EU2200i
- Honda EU7000iS
2. Yamaha Portable Inverter Generators
A close competitor of the Honda generators, Yamaha inverter generators are some of the most superior in terms of quality and performance. Their generators have the longest emission engine durability ratings issued by the Environmental Protection Agency (ERA) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
From Yamaha we present you with;
- Yamaha EF2000iSv2
3. Champion Portable Inverter Generators
From the makers at Champion is where you will find some of the most innovative technologies used in order to improve performance of portable inverters and increase user convenience. Such technologies include Dual Fuel technology that makes it possible to operate a portable generator using either gasoline or propane, and switch between the two fuel sources safely and effortlessly. The wireless remote start technology allows you to conveniently start and stop the Champion portable inverter generator from up to 80 feet away.
From Champion we bring you;
- Champion 3100-Watt RV Ready
- Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel Inverter
4. Westinghouse Portable Inverter Generators
Westinghouse is another manufacturer that been in the industry for decades known to provide reliable, high-quality and durable inverter generators.
From them we have;
- Westinghouse WH2200iXLT
5. Rainier Portable Inverter Generators
Rainier Outdoor Power offers a wide range of specialized high quality outdoor power equipment including inverter generators. Their inverter generators are expertly crafted with attention to detail to provide a dependable source of portable power.
From Rainier we have;
- Rainier R2200i
Other Great Portable Inverter Generators Include
- WEN 56202i
- Pulsar G2319N
- Generac GP2200i
Comprehensive Review of the Best Portable Inverter Generators
1. Honda EU3000iS Gasoline Powered Portable Inverter Generator
The Honda 3000 Watt 120V inverter generator can be used in several applications such as RV air conditioning to units with up to 13500 BTUs, refrigerator or freezer applications that are energy star rated, microwave ovens, incandescent lights, portable fan, furnace fan, tv / dvd, hair dryers, coffee makers, computers, garage door openers and blenders.
It starts at 3,000 Watts and runs on 2,800 Watts. With its fuel tank capacity of 3.4 gallons comes a run time of 7.1 hours at a rated load or 20-hour long at ¼ of the rated load. The Honda 3000 Watt inverter generator weighs 131 pounds, which can still be hand carried by one person.
Features and Specifications of the Honda EU3000iS
- 49 to 58 dB (A) noise level – Honda engines use special materials to dampen the sound they produce. With 50 to 57 DB, it operates producing less sound than a normal conversation between two people.
- Eco-throttle – Honda’s Eco Throttle system allows the engine to automatically adjust its speed to generate only the power necessary. This inverter generator can run up to 20 hours on a 3.4 gallon of fuel making it very fuel efficient.
- Advanced inverter technology – the technology applied in designing the inverter generator makes it stable, reliable and able to produce clean power.
- Parallel capability – using a parallel cable, two Honda EU3000iS inverter generator units can be connected with each other to produce twice the amount of power.
- Oil Alert and circuit protected – protected by Oil Alert, the unit automatically shuts it off when oil is at low levels. The inverter generator is also protected from being overloaded.
- Super quiet operation
- Fuel efficient and, depending on the load it can runs for 7.2 to 20 hours on a single tank.
- Electric start capability.
- Several applications of use – from RVs to kitchen equipment and home appliances like the TV, portable and furnace fans.
- Able to connect to another identical unit to double the power output.
- At 131 pounds when dry, the inverter generator is relatively heavy. 30 pounds heavier than the ideal weight of 100 pounds.
- The inverter generator is not capable of producing enough power to run all appliances and equipment at the same time.
Most customers of the Honda 3000 Watt inverter generator express their contentment over the unit because of its eco-mode. The eco-mode basically allowed the customers to power larger fans, several laptops, TV and lights simultaneously. For others it lasted longer than 10 hours and some more than 16 hours.
In addition to performance and durability, the super quiet feature of the inverter generator is another factor that allows the manufacturer to keep customers. The Honda 3000 Watt inverter generator is true to its advertisements.
2. WEN 56202i Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
Great for campgrounds, construction sites, tailgating and power outages, the WEN 2000 Watt 120V inverter generator produces only clean power to safely operate and prevent damage to sensitive electronics such as smartphones, tablets, televisions and computers.
The generator is backed by a 2-year warranty for extensive after-market services.
Features and Specifications of the WEN 56202i
- 4-stroke OHV engine – the EPA III and CARB compliant 79.7 engine of the WEN 56202i, have the capacity to produce 2000 surge Watts and 1600 rated Watts.
- Relatively quiet – the WEN 2000 Watt inverter generator performs quietly at 51 decibels at a quarter load.
- Limits total harmonic distortion – the inverter generator is designed to mirror a pure sine wave to make it capable of limiting the total harmonic distortion down to under 0.3 percent at empty load and under 1.2 percent at full load.
- An efficient gallon tank – the one-gallon tank is capable of over 6 hours of half a load run time.
- Eco-mode throttle system – for the motor on this inverter generator to automatically adjust, an eco-mode throttle system is applied in its design. The system prevents unnecessary power generation to extend the run time as well as the life of the engine.
- Parallel connection kit enabled – the kit that is sold separately – allows two WEN 2000 inverter generators to be interconnected to double the power generated.
- Overload protection safeguards with indication lights – in case of low fuel and low oil, the motor’s indication lights will flash and it will automatically shut down.
- Cheaper compared to most units on this list.
- The inverter generator limits a total harmonic distortion that is safe for running laptops, cellphones, monitors, tablets and susceptible electronics.
- Also limits total harmonic distortion to higher power factors, leads to lower peak currents and higher efficiency.
- Automatically adjust fuel consumption so as not to waste power.
- Performs quietly at 51 decibels.
- At 38.6 pounds, the inverter generator can be easily hand carried and transported.
- WEN 56202i does not have a radio frequency interference, RFI filtering, and the inverter generator cannot power up a radio communications device.
A customer of WEN 56202i expressed their satisfaction over the eco-mode throttle system of the inverter generator, “ECO mode is extremely quiet, but even at full speed, it isn’t very loud”. Another customer who experienced a power outage during one storm shared that they ran the inverter generator for 24 hours, powering a 2 refrigerator and freezer. The WEN 56202i is patronized by inverter generator buyers due to the credibility of the model based on customer experience reviews and manufacturer’s advertisements.
3. Yamaha EF2000iSv2 2000 Watts Gas Powered Portable Inverter
An upgrade to the previous Yamaha EF2000iS model, the EPA and CARB certified Yamaha EF2000iSv2 2000 Watts Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator comes packed with features such as a New controller with advanced programming that allows the inverter generator to be applied in a much wider range of residential uses and also have an improved output level operating between 1600w-2000w.
It has a fuel tank capacity of 1.1 Gallons and includes two 120V AC outlets and one DC Outlet – 8A 12V outlet for charging batteries. The cables are included.
Features and Specifications of the
- OHV Engine cast iron cylinder liner – is durable, efficient, reliable and, powerful for optimal performance.
- Load sensing rpm control smart throttle ‐ varies engine speed based on load, to enhance fuel efficiency by improving fuel consumption and reducing noise and engine damage.
- Twin Tech Parallel Generator Operation – using Twin Tech cable that your purchase separately, you connect two of these identical generators to deliver up to 30 amps.
- Gasoline petcock ‐ a feature that lets you shut off the gas to run the carb dry for storage. This helps to prevent stale gas problems.
- Inverter system with Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) control – With a voltage stability of within ± 1%, and frequency stability is ± 0.1 HZ, it produces a pure sine wave making this unit safe to use on products with built-in microcomputers or microcomputer-controlled electric tools.
- Eco mode – for fuel consumption efficiency.
- Low Oil alert – unit will alert when the oil level is too low thereby preventing engine damage caused by low oil.
- Electrical overload breaker – useful for preventing damage in case an overload occurs.
- Auto-decompression system with Auto warm-up– reduces compression for easier and fast starting.
- 51.5 dBA to 61 dBA noise level – it comes fitted with Yamaha’s most technologically sophisticated muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor to ensure it runs quietly.
- Can be paralleled for double the power
- The fuel gauge of the unit allows the oil levels to be seen at a glance without having to turn off the unit and removing the fuel cap.
- Lightweight and compact at just 44 pounds, making it easy to transport.
- The side panels are easily detachable for easy maintenance.
- With a noise level of 61dBA on full load, this unit has the highest noise level on this list. however despite this facts , it seems the Yamaha muffler does work as advertised because this unit is said to run silently.
“Amazing generator”, “Awesome generator”, “works as advertised”, “the best inverter ever”, “quality generator” are just some of the qualities used to describe this model.
It comes highly recommended by a majority of users and what most customers loved about this unit is the convenient easy-glance fuel gauge that you don’t find with most inverter generators, the car AC cables, its fuel efficiency and best of all, that it works as advertised when it comes to clean power output. It also scored points on quiet operation and the fuel economizing Eco-mode. Overall, this inverter is said to offer complete value for money.
4. Champion 3100-Watt Portable Inverter Generator with Wireless Remote Start
With 1.6 gallons of gasoline in the tank, the Champion 3100-Watt 120V RV Ready Inverter Generator can run for 8 hours at 25% load. The inverter generator, which has 3100-Watt starts and 2800-Watt runs, can power up sensitive electronics, thanks to its less than 3% total harmonic distortion (THD).
The Champion 3100-Watt RV Ready can be controlled using a key fob at a distance of up to 80 feet.
To ensure an aftermarket customer experience, the inverter generator is backed with a 3-year warranty.
Features and Specifications of the Champion 3100-Watt RV Ready
- Wireless remote control – to power the inverter generator from up to 80 feet away, a remote key fob is included in the unit.
- 3-position ignition switch – for convenience, start the Champion 3100-Watt RV Ready with its 3-position ignition switch. A quick touch panel allows easy access to controls.
- Ultra quiet operation – with 58 decibels, the Champion 3100-Watt RV Ready is a perfect fit for RVs and camping.
- Single-cylinder OHV engine – a 171cc one cylinder engine of the inverter generator – can produce 3100 starting Watts and 2800 running Watts.
- Low oil shut-off sensors – for engine safety hazards, the inverter generator has a 0.6 quart oil capacity. When the oil levels are detected to be low, the engine will automatically reduce power produced and finally shut down at a critical level of low oil.
- Smart economy mode – the engine on the inverter generator reduces the electric load efficiently, providing a quieter operation, extending engine life and better fuel consumption.
- Wireless remote control operated as it can be switched on and off using the key fob included in the unit.
- Engine safety hazards – the inverter generator automatically shuts off in case of low oil levels.
- Quiet operation at 58 decibels.
- EPA certified and CARB compliant inverters.
- Has handles and wheels making moving around easier.
- Parallel capability to double the power using two units is not possible here.
- Other customers found the 58 decibels on the unit a little noisy. Especially during the night.
The remote start was one of the main selling points of the Champion 3100-Watt RV Ready, according to the majority of its customers.
Some loved the wheels and fold out handles of the inverter generator that efficiently help in transporting the unit easily. For others, it is quite a drag to pull the inverter generator at a shallow angle on its wheels because they are deep.
When it comes to sound levels, the there are customers who said the unit is quite loud, especially when compared to other models in the market with the same features.
5. Westinghouse WH2200iXLT Quiet Portable Inverter Generator
Great for recreational activities like tent camping and RVs, the Westinghouse WH2200iXLT Portable Inverter Generator peaks at 2200 Watts and runs at 1800 Watts. The inverter generator can run at a full tank of 1.3 gallons for 13 hours. At the same time providing power to two 120V AC outlets.
With less than 3% total harmonic distortion (THD) or distraction, the inverter generator is safe to use for sensitive electronics such as TVs, phones and computers
It can simultaneously power the refrigerator, computer, lights, fan and more.
Features and Specifications of the Westinghouse WH2200iXLT
- Super lightweight – the Westinghouse WH2200iXLT only weighs 43 pounds. That’s almost less than half the industry standard.
- OHV 4-stroke engine – driven by a 79cc OHV 4-stroke engine, the Westinghouse WH2200iXLT can deliver 2200 Watts of surge power.
- Efficiency Mode Switch – to extend the run time.
- Parallel connection capability – using a WHPC cord, the inverter generator can be connected to an identical model to enable doubling the power generated.
- Clean power outlets – with less than 3% distortion, the inverter generator produces clean power that is safe for sensitive electronics like TVs, DVD players and computers.
- Overload Protection and spark arrestor – Comes equipped with a circuit breaker to protect the generator and prevent overloading.
- Automatic Low Oil Shutdown feature.
- Silent operation – at 25% load, the advertised noise level is at 52 decibels. At 50% load, the inverter generator already produces 59 decibels. The inverter generator has double mufflers and a double insulated acoustic hood to ensure a quiet operation.
- EPA, CSA, and CARB compliant.
- Super lightweight at only 43 pounds.
- Draws power from 1.3 gallon tank and can run for 13 hours despite the small frame of this inverter generator.
- Parallel capable unit.
- Parallel connection cable is not included in the unit. You will have to purchase the Westinghouse Inverter Generator Parallel Cord separately.
- It does not have a fuel pump for external fuel tanks.
With lots of positive customer reviews, the Westinghouse WH2200iXLT inverter generator is highly rated. The advertised run time of 13 hours at 25% load extends to 15 or 17 hours for other users. The inverter generator generates clean power that is why none of their sensitive electronics get broken after being powered up.
The Westinghouse WH2200iXLT was said to be living up to its specifications, from the quiet operation to the quality of power produced and run time.
6. Pulsar G2319N Portable Gas-Powered Quiet Inverter Generator
The Pulsar G2319N inverter generator can produce 2300 Watts at its peak and run on 1800 Watts. It is capable of up to 8 hours of run time at half load 100% in a 1.18 gallon of tank. Featured outlets include two AC 120V 13A outlet, one 12V DC 8A outlet and one 5V DC USB outlet.
Weighing only 47 pounds, the Pulsar G2319N is compact and lightweight and therefore perfect for traveling on the go including camping, tailgating, and other outdoor recreational activities. It features a directly connected USB port to provide a safe and clean electrical current for powering sensitive electronics like cellular devices and laptops.
Features and Specifications of the Pulsar G2319N
- Low oil shut-off, automatic voltage regulator, and recoil start – for equipment and user safety, the Pulsar G2319N automatically stops operation when there is a low level of oil detected. The voltage regulator is what makes the inverted good for the fuel economy, and the recoil is starting to eliminate engine burnout and other equipment malfunction.
- Has parallel capability – double the power using two identical pulsar inverter generators (G2319N).
- Stable Sine Wave Technology – to provide pure and safe electrical power to supply electricity, the Pulsar G2319N inverter generator uses an advanced technology for its engine.
- Quiet operation – the inverter generator operates at 59 decibels.
- Single cylinder, 4-stroke, OHV air cooled engine – with 80cc and 3HP, the single cylinder engine of the Pulsar G2319N is air cooled with 4-stroke OHV.
- Compact and lightweight design as it only weighs 47 pounds, which makes it easily hand carried.
- Two Pulsar G2319N inverter generators can be connected with each other to produce twice the amount of power. Kit is sold separately.
- Though claimed to operate quietly, at 59 decibels that may not be the case.
“Probably the best looking generator”, a customer expressed their satisfaction over the aesthetic look, compact and lightweight design of the Pulsar G2319N.
Customers were surprised at how a 47-pound inverter generator can produce sufficient power to supply electricity during power outages. The slightly noisy engine was not a deal breaker, after all, the inverter generator gives so many benefits and guarantees satisfaction.
7. Rainier R2200i Portable Inverter Generator
Save fuel up to 13 hours of run time at full load on a 1.3 gallon tank with the Rainier R2200i gas powered digital inverter generator. To have a variety of applications for use, the inverter generator has two 120V 20A 5-20R household outlets and one 12V 8A DC accessory socket.
It is the perfect companion that provides fuel efficient power for camping, tailgating and other outodoor activities that require power.
With a peak of 2200 Watts, the inverter generator runs on 1800 Watts producing power to refrigerators/freezers, sump pump, incandescent lights, window air conditioners/space heaters and garage door opener at home. For trailers and RVs, power up the microwave/microwave ovens, coffee maker, RV air conditioner (11,000 btu), TV/laptop/mobile device hair dryer at the same time.
Features and Specifications of the Rainier R2200i
- Compact and lightweight – the inverter generator weighs only 44 pounds. Much lighter than the industry standard of inverter generators that are 100 pounds.
- Indicator alerts – the Rainier R2200i has LED lights to alert the user when the output is ready, if there are low oil levels, as well as overload protection.
- Quiet operation – the inverter generator operates only at 53 decibels. It keeps the peace in sound-sensitive areas during camping or at home.
- Clean power – with less than 3% of THD or distraction – the Rainier R2200i allows the user to charge sensitive electronics such as laptops, computers, and mobile phones.
- Eco-mode – engaging the eco-mode button of the inverter generator will automatically lower the engine speed to maximize its fuel efficiency feature. This also protects the inverter generator from getting damaged easily.
- Parallel capability – the Rainier R2200i allows you to pair with another identical inverter generator to double the power produced.
- The inverter generator is EPA and CARB compliant.
- Ultra Compact lightweight with handle for easy carrying
- There is no dipstick in the oil chamber. To know when the oil will run out heavily depends on the oil light indicator.
The Rainier R2200i gas powered digital inverter generator is said to be very quiet. One customer expressed their satisfaction at how silent the inverter generator was and could barely be heard running 15 feet away.
This inverter generator is also highly rated for its compact size and lightweight design. It can easily be stowed away when not in use and transported for camping. Overall, the Rainier R2200i gas powered digital inverter generator operates quietly and effectively works as advertised.
8. Generac GP2200i Portable Inverter Generator
The Generac GP2200i 120V inverter generator provides stable power with a peak of 2200 Watts and runs at 1700 Watts. The technology used on the engine is a Generac patented TruePower technology to efficiently produce clean power for sensitive electronics and tools.
CARB Compliant, the inverter generator also has a USB port for directly charging mobile devices. LED indicators fashion the control panel for the user to be alerted in case of low-oil or overload. The inverter generator also has an indicator light including ready-to-use notifications.
Features and Specifications of the Generac GP2200i
- TruePower Technology – the inverter generator applies Generac TruePower technology to provide clean and stable power ideal for sensitive electronics and tools such as laptops, mobile phones and computers.
- Compact and lightweight – with dimensions of 19.7 in x 11.4 in x 17.9 in, the inverter generator is rated for its compact design. Weighing only 46.6 pounds, it can be quickly stowed away and hand carried for easy transportation.
- Economy mode – for fuel efficiency, the economy mode of the inverter generator automatically adjusts the engine speed to save fuel and at the same time reduce the noise level produced.
- LED indicators – to alert users of low oil levels, overload, or ready to use, the inverter generator has LED indicators that flash over to alert you.
- Parallel capability – a parallel kit enables the connection of two identical inverter generators to produce double the power.
- Low oil level shutdown – in case of an extremely low oil level, the engine automatically shuts down to avoid any major damage.
- Two identical inverter generators can be connected together.
- Has USB port for charging mobile devices.
- As with most units, the parallel kit is not included in the unit. Needs to be purchased separately.
The Generac GP2200i is highly favored by its customers because of its easy start. The off to choke or run dial makes it quick to power up the engine. The inverter generator is also rated for its quiet operation. At half load and economy mode, the engine could barely be heard running. With the size of bulky suitcase, the Generac GP2200i can still be hand carried without any hassle.
9. Honda EB2200i 120-Volt Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generators
Backed with a 3-year residential and commercial warranty, the Honda EB2200i Inverter Generator has all the features that makes an inverter generator highly rated. From the advanced engine, oil level alert, economy mode, to quiet operation and compact size.
This Honda inverter generator can be used in job site as it is protected by GFCI and approved with OSHA and CARB.
Some of its common applications include – air compressor at up to ½ HP, cell phone charger, heavy duty circular saw, computer, concrete vibrator, drills, electric chain saw at 2 HP, split phase industrial motors at up to ⅓ HP, industrial motors with capacitor start induction run at up to 1/2 HP, industrial motors with capacitor start and run at up to 3/4 HP, portable fan and reciprocating saw at 12A.
Features and Specifications of the Honda EB2200i
- Honda GXR120 Engine – for commercial grade reliability, the Honda EB2200i delivers exceptionally quiet, smooth and fuel-efficient performance with the Honda GXR120 engine. The inverter generator is initially designed for heavy duty construction but reconstructed and adapted for residential use.
- Super quiet operation – the inverter generator operates at 48 to 57 decibels. On economy mode, the inverter generator produces only 48 decibels.
- Lightweight and compact – weighing just 47 pounds, the inverter generator is incredibly portable. The Honda inverter technology made the inverter generator lightweight and compact while still producing high grade and clean power.
- Parallel capability -two identical models can be paralleled.
- Eco Throttle System – the inverter generator can run up to 8.1 hours on half a gallon of fuel. It also runs 3.2 hours on a single tank at full load.
- Fuel shutoff – the fuel off position of the inverter generator allows the engine to continuously run until the fuel in the carburetor is totally consumed then it will automatically shut off.
- Oil Alert technology – the engine automatically shuts off when low oil level is detected.
- GFCI protected – ideal for jobsite or construction operation (OSHA , LA-ETL, and CARB compliant)
- USDA- qualified spark arrestor and muffler.
- Honda GXR120 Engine for commercial grade reliability.
- For additional power two identical units can be connected together.
- Equipped with a convenient electric start
Majority of the customers of the Honda EB2200i said they got what they paid for, and that is a premium and high grade inverter generator. The inverter generator is said to be well-built with quality materials.
Some of the customers previously owned other Honda inverter generator units and so according to them, this model definitely lives up to the Honda experience and reputation, it gives efficient and clean power whenever it’s needed.
10. Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel Inverter with Electric Start
With its fully assembled and foldaway handle as well as easy rolling wheels, Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel Inverter is easily stowed away and transported. The inverter generator is EPA certified and CARB compliant and has a standard 50-amp RV outlet with power to start and run two 15,000 BTU RV air conditioners at the same time.
Backed by a 3-year limited warranty and free lifetime technical support.
Features and Specifications of the Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel Inverter
- Dual fuel feature – the inverter generator allows its 192cc engine to run on either propane or gasoline. Propane hose included with your purchase.
- Cold start technology – to ensure quick start during a colder weather, the inverter generator is powered with cold start technology.
- 3-position toggle switch – for convenient electric start, the quick touch panel allows access to the controls in one spot.
- Ultra-quiet operation – at 59 decibels, the inverter generator is said to be perfect for RVs, tailgating and other outdoor activities.
- Clean electricity – with less than 3% THD, it has 120V 30A locking outlet with RV adapter and two 120V 20A household outlets perfect for supplying power to sensitive electronics and tools especially recreational vehicles.
- Economy mode – the inverter technology applied on the generator reduces electric load for a quieter operation. The feature also extends engine life and creates a better fuel utilization.
- Parallel capability – a quick clip-on connection allows the inverter generator to increase output through connection with an identical model.
- Low oil shut-off sensor
- Unique capability that allows it to operate on either either gasoline or propane
- Handles can easily and effortlessly be folded for easy storage and carrying while the never-flat tires allow for easy transportation.
- Can be paralleled
- Convenient electric switch with 3-position ignition switch
- Quick touch control panel
- Like a majority of the models, parallel kit is not included with the unit.
The Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel Inverter runs like a champ according to one customer once ran through the economy mode. The noise level sounds like a purr for a majority of the customers. The dual fuel feature was the winning factor of the inverter generator. Often compared with Honda models, the Champion said to hold its own according to some customers.
11. Honda EU7000iS Portable Inverter Generator with Electric Start
Peaks at 7000 Watts and runs on 5500 Watts, the Honda EU7000iS Inverter Generator has several features that exceed the residential application for use requirements.
Some of its best features include the fuel injection for high quality power and low maintenance, folding handles and wheels for easy transportation, voltage selector switch, and oil protection.
Its common applications include Energy Star rated refrigerator or freezer, microwave oven, furnace fan, gas or fuel oil, sump pump, RV air conditioner, TV, hair dryers, coffee makers, computers, garage door opener, blender, incandescent lights and portable fan.
Features and Specifications of the Honda EU7000iS
- Has electronic fuel injection – the Smart fuel injection technology applied on the inverter generator increases the fuel efficiency of the Honda EU7000iS and at the same time eliminates engine choke. Carburetor issues are also reduced at certain occasions.
- Honda GX390 engine – for long unit life and superior performance, the inverter generator includes Honda’s GX390 engine.
- Super quiet operation – the inverter generator operates at 52 to 58 decibels which makes it ideal to supply power for RVs, outdoor events like camping and tailgating.
- Advanced inverter technology – for clean and stable power as well as lighter package, the inverter generator uses advanced inverter technology that makes it one of the best in the industry.
- Eco Throttle system – for fuel efficiency, the inverter generator can run up to 6 hours on a half load at economy mode. It can also run up to 18 hours on a single tank at a full load.
- Folding handles and wheel kit – the handles can be raised for hand carrying and transportation as well as lowered down for stowing away. The inverter generator has sturdy wheels for easy maneuvering and transportation from one point to another.
- i-Monitor technology – the hours, RPM, battery volts, wattage can be tracked with the model’s monitoring technology. A fuel gauge present on the body of the inverter generator also helps in detecting the oil level.
- Multiple GFCI outlet – the inverter generator features two GFCI 20A and 120V duplex outlets that meets the standards of ETL and NEC.
- Voltage selector switch – to enable power units with larger wattage requirements as well as limit the capacity of individual outlet, the inverter generator lets you choose between 120V and 240V. This also allows the total generator output to be available for both or just 120V.
- Protected by Oil Alert – when there is low oil detection, the engine automatically shuts down to protect the engine.
- Parallel capability – two identical modes can be paired together for doubled power supply of 14000 Watts.
- USDA-qualified spark arrestor/muffler
- Has hours, RPM, battery volts and wattage tracker.
- Has fuel gauge for user’s oil level check.
- Fitted with wheels for easy rolling tranportaion
- Parallel kit not included in the unit. Needed to be purchased separately.
Highly favored features of the Honda EU7000iS include its fuel injection, capacity and mobility with some of the customers saying that once you get this, your search for an inverter generator is over as there is nothing more to look out for in an inverter generator because it already has everything including producing power efficiently.
Another winning factor of the inverter generator is its quiet operation. At a short distance, a person cannot tell if it is working or not.
Benefits and Drawbacks of an Inverter Generator
Now that reason you’re out looking for an inverter generator as an alternative source of power rather than just an ordinary generator is because these units bring with them a wealth of benefits. such benefits include;
- High fuel efficiency
- High quality electrical output and parallel capability
- Less maintenance
1. High fuel efficiency
In order to produce the amount of power necessary for the application in use, inverter generators are designed to have the capability to automatically adjust engine speed. Inverter generators are able to maintain power and frequency at the same time run at slower RPM relative to the 3600 RPM of conventional generators. With this, inverter generators reduce fuel consumption by up to 40%.
In simpler terms, an inverter generator has higher fuel efficiency because it can automatically adjust its engine speed to produce only the needed amount of power.
2. High quality electrical output and parallel capability
Inverter generators are intentionally created to produce power similar to the power typically utilized in residential houses. Its efficient alternators are directly connected to the load to produce AC electricity. This generously allows inverter generators to produce the highest quality of electrical output.
The power can be doubled by pairing an inverter generator with an identical model. Doubling power through the pairing process is called parallel capability.
3. Less maintenance
While conventional generators require more maintenance, inverter generators only need a few. Inverter generators require engine oil changes, air filter cleaning and spark plug adjustments.
Changing oil is considered a major factor in maintaining an equipment’s optimum performance and reliability. Manufacturers recommend checking the oil levels every six months or every hundred hours of use. For new inverter generators, it is deemed necessary to do the first oil change after 30 hours of use. Oil dipsticks show readings of oil levels.
Air filters should be cleaned after 50 hours of use or after every three months. For the most part, the air filter should be checked prior to usage. The reason behind this is for the inverter generator’s engine protection.
Adjusting the spark plug should be done every 100 hours of use. Spark plugs are required to be fully replaced once a year. The spark plugs and filters work together to ensure the fuel and air mixture is at proper levels. Proper air-fuel mixture helps the engine to perform efficiently and also extends the unit’s lifespan.
What are the disadvantages of an inverter generator?
- Limited maximum power output
- Initial costs can be too expensive
With several benefits come drawbacks. Inverter generators in the market are fuel-efficient because of their limited maximum power output and fuel capacity as well as shorter run time. They are also expensive to purchase.
1. Limited maximum power output
Because of limited fuel capacity, inverter generators naturally have shorter run time. Shorter run time means limited maximum power output. When it comes to producing tons of power, the inverter generator is not up for work. A large inverter generator with seven KW could cost more than $4,000. An inverter generator cannot power up a whole soccer field or a 3-floor building. That is why most inverter generators are only fit for residential purposes and small outdoor powerings.
2. Initial costs can be too expensive
Inverter generators typically cost at least twice or up to eight times as much as conventional generators. The advanced technology applied on an inverter generator’s 3-phase system and microprocessor drastically increase their prices. The higher the power, the more it would cost.
Factors To Consider In Choosing A Portable Inverter Generator
What factors must you consider when choosing a portable inverter generator?
- Size and Weight
- Fuel Tank Size
- Noise Level
- Run Time
- Power Quality
1. Size and Weight
The ideal size and weight of a portable inverter generator is 100 pounds or less. A model over 200 pounds is already a heavy duty inverter generator. The fact that it is called portable, implies that it should not be so heavy that it cannot be carried by one person. Units with built-in handles and wheels are added features that help with ease of transportation and maneuvering.
2. Fuel Tank Size
The recommended tank capacity is 5 gallons and baove. A 5-gallon fuel tank size allows up to 7 hours of power with a full load. If the load decreases, the power supply will be longer. It is important to take note that inverter generators are created to deliver limited power supply only. If the planned use for it requires long hours and extended periods, then purchase a different type of generator. Perhaps a conventional one.
3. Noise Level
Inverter generators available on the market typically have as high as 70 decibels. It is ideal to purchase a unit that has lower decibels for your own comfort as well as your neighbors. A reduced level of disturbance is a major plus for inverter generators, so be keen to consider this factor.
4. Run Time
The deal is, the longer the generator can run, the less often you will have to refuel. An inverter generator with a run time of at least nine to ten hours at half-load will make refueling twice less.
5. Power Quality
An inverter generator with a high quality power output must have an AC signal up to 60 Hertz frequency. Home appliances are at risk of minor to major damage if the quality of power produced by the inverter generator is poor.
Because of the innovative technology applied, the acquisition costs of inverter generators are correspondingly higher, but if you use your generator frequently, you will recoup some of the costs in fuel savings. When choosing an inverter generator, identify your purpose and usage for it. Pay attention to the wattage of your home appliances as they will be your basis in selecting the kilowattage of the inverter generator.
Great not to mention versatile choices for home use as emergency backups in case of a power failure, for recreational activities like camping and tailgating on the go, or for simply powering devices and other home equipment around the house, an inverter generator is a handy piece of equipment to have around.
Do you have any experience with any of the above mentioned inverter generators or know of one that we forgot to include in this review? Did we miss out on some important FAQs that could have been useful? Do you have any clarifications? In that case, shoot us a comment in the comment section down below. We would love to hear from you!