A machine that cools the air during the hot days, that can be moved from one space to another, that can also be kept in storage during the colder days when it is not necessary? Well, that sounds a lot like a portable air conditioner. It is a simpler way to cut through the summer heat in your indoor living space or anywhere in the home, from the garage, to the bedroom, to the living room.
Now, when it comes to portable air conditioners, there is no shortage of brands. So given the vast number of options available picking the best type of portable air conditioner, specifically one for your garage, to meet all your cooling needs may not be a walk in the park.
Cooling a garage or workshop with very large ceiling, or a large open space, or one that lacks proper insulation may pose a challenge when it comes to effective cooling.
So, if you’re in the market for the best and effective cooling of your garage or workshop, look for an energy efficient portable air conditioner that can easily be moved around, has a powerful cooling performance, has multiple operating modes like dehumidification mode, fan, heat mode and equipped with special features for added efficiency and effectiveness. Such features may include; self-evaporating technology, digital controls, automatic restart in case of power failure, washable air filters, caster wheels for easy mobility, programmable timer and thermostat.
Review of the Best Portable Air Conditioners For Garages
Below is a round up of some of the the best portable air conditioners that can efficiently cool a garage or space the size of 500 sq ft and below.
Some of the products are available to purchase either through Amazon or Sylvane.
1. HOmelabs 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
The HOmelabs 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner is perfect for 550 to 700 sq ft garages. It is easy to operate and is portable thanks to its wheels that rolls at any kind of flooring or surface smoothly.
What makes the HOmelabs Portable Air Conditioner even more great is its dehumidifier feature. This unit dehumidifies air and expels it through the exhaust hole while still cooling the air.
Features of the H0melabs Portable Air Conditioner
- Built-in 100 pint dehumidifier - the portable air conditioner unit has a dehumidifier feature with a 100-pint of water per day capacity that can remove moisture from up to 5,500 sq ft room.
- Easy wash air filter - it is recommended by the manufacturer to clean the air filter at least once every two weeks to ensure airflow blockage. Maintenance of the cleanliness of the air filter helps prevent issues with the quality of the cool air that the portable air conditioner unit releases.
- Full feature remote control and digital display - using either the control panel or remote, you can easily program your desired temperature, adjust fan speeds and change between cooling modes. Settings on the remote control is the same as the ones on the digital control panel. Has 3 fan speeds for all your cooling needs.
- Sleep or Eco-friendly mode - when you press this button the portable air conditioner automatically increases (cool) and decreases (heat) the selected temperature by 2 degrees F or 1 degree C in a span of 30 minutes. Same cycle for the next 30 minutes. The duration of this process takes 7 hours before it returns to original temperature. This feature is programmed to operate the air conditioning unit while consuming less energy.
- 62 degree lowest temperature setting.
- Can also be used to offer supplemental dehumidification.
- Has wheels/casters to easily move around the garage and house in general
- Easy to install – assembling takes less than 10 minutes to start the portable air conditioner.
- No need to connect duct to the window to get better dehumidification results – drain tube is included.
- Can be used on double-hung windows up to 48 inches wide. All the necessary attachments for this are included with your purchase, such as the foam window seals and exhaust hose.
- Filter indicator light illuminates to notify you when to clean the air filter to maintain optimal efficiency.
- Operates quietly with a -52 dB
- No built-in water reservoir tank – drain hose needed for drainage facility.
- Does not automatically shut off even if the desired temperature has been achieved.
Majority of the customers loved the hOmelabs BTU Portable Air Conditioner for its added dehumidification feature. It cools the room and removes moisture at the same time. Despite being the highly-rated for its dehumidifying feature, customers still demand it to be a lot more convenient to install, use, and drain since the unit currently requires a drain hose because it does not have a built-in water reservoir. Another customer concern is that the device does not have an automatic shutoff feature once set temperature is reached.
Overall, the HOmelabs 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner works as it is advertised. It is energy-efficient with its sleep feature, it operates quietly, it definitely does the main job of a portable air conditioner unit which is to cool a room and at the same time be easy to transport from one room to another.
2. Toyotomi 14,000 BTU Portable AC with Heat and Dehumidifier
The dual-hose Toyotomi 14,000 BTU Portable AC with Heat can cool and heat a 500 sq ft room and is advertised to be used in garages with a cooling capacity of 8,000 BTUs and heating capacity of 11,000 BTUs.
The manufacturer suggest that the room temperature must be 64 degrees F and up, if operated below the suggested range ice may form in the coils. If the temperature goes beyond the maximum operating temperature which is 100 degree F, the compressor will automatically shut off. The portable air conditioner unit consumes 1200 W of electricity which is worthy because of the excellent cooling performance of the unit.
Features of the Toyotomi 14,000 BTU Portable AC with Heat
- Self-evaporating condensate system - the portable air conditioner unit implements a superior condensate removal. The manual emptying of a water tank is eliminated because the system evaporates most of moisture collected. In the case that the water tank is full, the LED indicator will inform you and the unit will stop operating. It collects up to 3.68 pint of moisture.
- Dual hose operation – provides for greater air intake and constant air pressure which enables its 14,000 BTUs (ASHRAE)/8,000 BTUs (DOE Standard) of power to cool at a much faster rate than comparable air conditioners units with single hose systems.
- 24-hour timer – which allows you to program the portable AC to power on or off between 1 and 24 hours in advance.
- LCD digital display and Remote Control – the digital display and convenient digital remote control both allow you to conveniently control and adjust settings and select between modes.
- Automatic fan speed mode - the fan’s only operation mode features an automatic selection of fan speed based on the ambient room temperature.
- Effective range of operating temperature - the minimum operating temperature is 64 degrees F up to a maximum of 100 degree F which is a perfect match for most room temperatures.
- Four operating modes - the operation modes include cool, fan, heat or thermo control and dehumidification. With the thermo control, the portable air conditioner unit automatically shuts on and off to maintain the selected temperature.
- Energy-efficient cooling system - unlike conventional air conditioners that use large quantities of energy and power to cool an entire room, this portable air conditioner unit focuses on a particular zone (that is about 500 sq ft) to cool and dry.
- Automatic shutoff mechanism - the portable air conditioner unit will automatically shut off in the event of drain tank being full and if the room temperature exceeds the maximum operating temperature of 100 degrees F.
- In addition to air conditioning, it also heats and dehumidifiers.
- Fitted with 4 casters to easily move the air conditioner from room to room.
- Evaporates most of the condensate collected which means that you may not need to manually empty the water tank manually.
- LED indicator will let you know when the water tank is full, and the air conditioner will also stop operating.
- Dual hose operation for faster cooling.
- Window installation kit included for those who want it to work as a window air conditioner.
- Does not auto-restart in case of a power outage
- Draining hose is too short
Customers love to use the Toyotomi 14,000 BTU Portable AC with Heat during the hot days for cooling and cold days for heating at their garages that they turned into studios or for whatever activity they hold there.
Effective cooling performance that can cut through the summer heat and many operating modes is what makes the Toyotomi 14,000 BTU Portable AC such as darling for many. This is despite the short length of the dual hoses provided and the lack of automatic restart in case of a power outage.
Its performance is outstanding is and basically does what a portable air conditioner unit should do.
3. DeLonghi Pinguino 14,000 BTU Portable AC
With a 14,000 BTUs ASHRAE cooling power, the single-hose DeLonghi Pinguino Portable AC is quick to set up and easily transported with its durable caster wheels.
It can cool up any space up to 500 to 600 sq ft. It is engineered and designed for garage applications, living spaces, dens, bedrooms, and other similar areas.
The DeLonghi Pinguino 14,000 BTU Portable AC can cool, dehumidify and circulate air as per user’s mode preference. When on its highest or maximum fan speed, the airflow can be as powerful as 350 CFM.
This portable air conditioner unit does not require a drain tray or condensate bucket because it ventilates moisture directly outside the house.
Features of the DeLonghi Pinguino 14,000 BTU Portable AC
- Touch Controls with remote included: The touch button control panel makes manually adjusting the unit’s settings simple while the remote control gives you the convenience of operating the unit from across the room.
- 3 operating modes - select from a wide range of temperature from as low as 61 degrees F up to 95 degrees F. There are 3 fan speeds – low, medium and high. Choosing auto-fan mode, the portable air conditioner unit automatically adjusts its fan speed to achieve the set temperature. Operation modes include the Air conditioning mode, dehumidifying mode, and fan only mode.
- Ability to dehumidify - this portable air conditioner unit is also capable of dehumidifying. It can remove up to 80 pints of moisture per day. No condensate bucket or drain tray is necessary because the portable air conditioner unit ventilates the collected moist water outside.
- Eco-friendly refrigerant - this air conditioner makes use of ozone-free refrigerant gas (R-104A).
- Bio Silver Air Filter - the unit’s filter captures harmful particles. Filter is easily accessible for routine cleaning.
- Powerful airflow - when the unit is on high fan speed, its maximum airflow can reach up to 350 CFM.
- Has caster wheels for easy transport
- Easy to control and operate with the included remote control.
- Recycles condensation within the unit to prevent leaks.
- 51 to 53 dB noise level
- Uses ozone-safe refrigerant
- Does not auto-restart in case of power outage.
According to customers, this unit is able to effectively cool perfectly small to medium garages and other living space as advertised. Users love the DeLonghi Pinguino 14,000 BTU Portable AC for its Wi-fi integration and quick set-up as advertised. There are no major issues with the DeLonghi Pinguino App as it works with exactly the same functions as the digital remote control and functions on the unit itself.
Although the like any other air conditioner out there in the market, DeLonghi Pinguino 14,000 BTU Portable AC also has a number of negative reviews. However, it still makes a top choice for cooling medium to small garages and other indoor living spaces.
4. Whynter 12,000 BTU Portable AC
The eco-friendly Whynter 12,000 BTU Portable AC is a portable air conditioner unit that complies with the RoHS. It uses only materials that do not belong to the six toxic substances that are restricted in the Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) directive. What makes it even more environmentally conscious is the fact that the unit makes use of R-104A refrigerant and it carries a high Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) of 10.9.
The dual-hose portable air conditioner helps decrease carbon footprint because of its eco-friendly components and internal equipment. It cools, dehumidifies and heats areas sized up to 400 sq ft.
Features of the Whynter 12,000 BTU Portable AC
- Patented auto-draining condensate technology - the portable air conditioner unit features an indicator for full tank, which automatically stops the unit so you can manually drain or empty the tank.
- Eco-friendly refrigerant gas - the portable air conditioner unit makes use of CFC-free or chlorofluorocarbon-free) refrigerant also known as R-104A refrigerant that makes the unit emit harmless chemicals in the case of leaking. The R-104A also makes the portable air conditioner unit to be efficiently cool a space.
- Leakage-current detection and interruption - for protection against fire hazards, the portable air conditioner unit is equipped with LCDI plugs.
- Features multiple operating modes – modes include air conditioner mode, dehumidifier mode, fan mode and heat mode.
- Dehumidifier mode and heat mode - the portable air conditioner unit can collect up to 96 pints of moisture from the space when on dehumidifier mode and can gently warm the space during the colder season while using 11,000 BTUs.
- Fitted with a 24-Hour Programmable Timer
- Has manual oscillation control – easily adjust airflow using manual louvers
- Washable pre-filters which removes particles and allergens from the air and carbon filter that absorbs odor.comes fully loaded with a Window Kit.
- Easy-roll casters and carrying handle for moving the unit from space to space.
- Fitted with a odor absorbing carbon filter.
- Restarts automatically in case of power failure.
- Full Bucket Indicator notifies you when it’s time to empty the condensate bucket.
- Environmental-friendly – RoHS compliant, high energy efficiency, R104-A refrigerant
- Emits 56 dB at its highest fan speed, this may be too loud for some people.
- Maximum thermostat setting is only up to 89 degrees F.
Customers who bought, tried and tested the Whynter 12,000 BTU Portable AC express satisfaction towards the efficiency of the unit. Despite the advertised 56 db noise at maximum fan speed, the portable air conditioner unit is much quieter compared to other single-hose and dual-hose type units. Its quick and easy installation makes the Whynter 12,000 BTU Portable AC convenient to use and maneuver for everyone.
Overall, the customers say that the Whynter 12,000 BTU Portable AC cools a room up to 400 sq ft, easy window installation, very quiet, has wide temperature controls and evenly distributes cold air. Although quite bulky in shape, the Whynter 12,000 BTU Portable AC is easy to maneuver and transport from one space to another.
5. Shinco SPF2-12C 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
Effective, energy saving and dehumidification, removing up to 91 pints of moisture per day are the features that the Shinco SPF2-12C 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner boasts of. With its 12,000 BTUs cooling power, it cools 400 up to 500 sq ft space and at the same time can dehumidify the air.
It is easy to roll around the house from one room to another with its built-in 4 caster wheels and is a breeze to install and operate. The Shinco SPF2-12C 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner is compatible and works in double-hung or sliding windows.
Features of the Shinco SPF2-12C 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
- Multiple operating modes - including the silent mode, dehumidifying mode and cooling mode. When the room is cool enough, there is an option that is the silent mode that switches the operation to first speed level that makes the portable air conditioner operate more quietly.
3 fan speeds – Like most units, it has a low, medium and high fan speed choice, with a variable electronic temperature control from between 60°F to 86°F.
Self-evaporative system on Dehumidifying mode - the portable air conditioner unit also acts as a dehumidifier and can collect as much as 91 pints of moisture per day.
- LED digital display - the control panel is designed to be easy-to-use and features straightforward and simple operations.
- Self-evaporative unit – the air conditioner uses self evaporative cooling technology that cools the condenser coils with water collected from the air thereby increasing cooling efficiency and minimize the water that collects in the condensate tank.
- 4-caster wheels for easy transport from one room to another
- This is self evaporative which means that you won’t have to empty the condensate as often.
- Window installation compatible as it works perfectly in double-hung or sliding windows
- Quiet 52dB output on Low speed mode for minimal disturbance.
- Remote control operated to enable you to operate the unit from anywhere in the room.
- Auto-restarts when power is restored.
- Fitted with a 24 Hour Timer that enables you to set a time delay from 1 – 24 hours for automatic on and off of the air conditioner.
- High 90 pint dehumidifying capacity per day.
- High 12,000 BTUs cooling power
- R410A refrigerant making the unit very environmentally friendly.
- Setting temperature – 61 degrees F to 86 degrees F
Most of the customers who bought, tested and became loyal to the Shinco SPF2-12C 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner say that the portable air conditioner unit has the four important factors – awesome performance, multiple operation features, physical features, and price. It is said to out-perform most of its competitors because of its ability to cool a larger space as advertised.
Features included apply exactly to their needs. Its compact size, wheels and handles makes it easy to move around the house. Regarding the price, majority of the customers say that the price may not be the reason for their initial decision to purchase but it was a factor to not let the awesome deal the Shinco SPF2-12C 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner offers.
To sum it all up, all factors combined is a great steal. For its price, the Shinco SPF2-12C 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner basically pays for itself after years and years of use.
6. Honeywell HL14CESWB Portable Air Conditioner
Stylish and powerful, Honeywell HL14CESWB Portable Air Conditioner has 14,000 BTUs of cooling power that can give a cool surrounding in a 550-700 sq ft space or room. Its dual filters keep dust, pet hair and human hair from penetrating the internal parts of the portable air conditioner.
This Honeywell HL14CESWB Portable Air Conditioner requires no permanent installation, because with its caster wheels you can roll it from room to room, where it is most needed. The unit includes a flexible exhaust hose and easy-to-install window venting kit, vertically or horizontally. When not in use, the window vent can be removed. Its adjustable bracket can be from 26.6 inches to 49.6 inches wide.
Features of the Honeywell HL14CESWB Portable Air Conditioner
- Dehumidifier Mode – Unit is able to remove up to 111 pints of excess moisture per day from air and uses a continuous drain system with the help of a drain tube included to continuously drain water collected when using the unit in Dehumidifying Mode.
- Digital LED display with full function remote control – with soft touch controls, a Programmable Timer to program the unit to power ON/OFF in advance from 1 to 24 hours.
- Equipped with dual filters - the dual filtration system extends the life of the portable air conditioner unit, it filters dust as well as pet dander and hair. It can easily be removed for routine cleaning and washable.
- Auto-evaporation system - in spaces that have higher humidity levels, the portable air conditioner unit is perfect because it has dual drainage options. The Honeywell Portable Air Conditioner requires no bucket or drain trays, a its self evaporating. It can remove moisture up to 80 pints per day.
- Fan mode only -There are 3 fan speeds to chose from; high, medium and Low fan speeds. When you don’t need cooling from the air conditioner, you can select the Fan Only Mode and pick any of the 3 fan speeds to gently circulate air.
- Sleep mode - the portable air conditioner unit has a 10-hour sleep mode that can increase the temperature at fixed intervals so as to use energy efficiently and at the same time cool the space evenly and entirely.
- 8,000 BTUs cooling power (ASHRAE) and 5,000 BTUs cooling power (DOE)
- 2-in-1 Function, cools and dehumidifies
- Powerful enough to cool and dehumidify garages and other rooms up to 700 sq. ft.
- Dehumidification capacity up to 111 pints per day.
- Can be window installed easily with included installation kit and necessary tools and parts.
- The noise it emits is only as loud as a normal conversation between two people – 49 to 52 dB
- Fitted with smooth gliding castor wheels for easy movement.
- Equipped with a 24 hour energy saving timer.
- Smart digital thermostat control – soft touch panel
- Remote control included for added convenience.
- Washable filters – dual-filtration system
- Self evaporation system eliminates the need for a bucket to constantly drain.
- Environmentally friendly R410A refrigerant.
- There are reports of being too noisy when on high.
Majority of the customers say that the Honeywell HL14CESWB Portable Air Conditioner has all they need for a portable air conditioner unit. It is perfect to cool a room with size of 700 ft. Its compressor creates a humming sound that is considered a good kind of white noise but others didn’t seem to like it. It was a breeze to install, takes no effort at all in removing and cleaning the dual filters. The dual filters makes it even more trust-worthy, because of the fact that dirt is filtered twice, which means more clean air.
As much as there are highly positive customer comments, there are also quite a few critical ones. There are customers who mainly had issues with the noise produced, others had issues with performance while some said that the advertised adjustable bracket that is from 26.6 inches 49.6 inches may not very adjustable.
7. Whynter Elite ARC-122DHP 12,000 BTU Digital Portable AC
Designed and manufactured for spaces like bed room, garage, mini office or studios with a size of 300 sq ft to 400 sq ft, the sleek, compact and energy-efficient Whynter Elite ARC-122DHP 12,000 BTU Digital Portable AC has multiple operating functions that include cooling, heating, dehumidifying and fan only. It uses 12,000 BTUs (ASHRAE) for cooling power and 10,000 BTUs for heating power.
An upper and lower drain serve as a support for each other to avoid any overflow of moist water collected in the dehumidifying mode. Almost 76 pints of moisture within 24 hours can be extracted from the air. Fan only mode gives you 3 fan speeds which are low, medium and high. The Whynter Elite 12,000 BTU Digital Portable AC performs quietly, emitting a humming sound that is almost unnoticeable, even at its highest fan speed wherein the decibel is 52.
The Whynter Elite 12,000 BTU Digital Portable AC is safe and efficient. It has an auto-shutoff compressor mechanism, makes use of eco-friendly R-104A refrigerant gas, RoHS compliant components, and LCDI plug.
Features of the Whynter Elite ARC-122DHP 12,000 BTU Digital Portable AC
- Dehumidification mode - can remove moisture up to 76 pints per day in a 400 sq ft space
- Heat pump option - the portable air conditioner unit is capable of heating a space with the use of 10,000 BTUs heating power. It has an external condensate Auto-pump that is activated to pump out the excess condensate in the case of an extremely humid conditions.
- Features dual-hose operation - with its dual hose, the portable air conditioner unit efficiently provides great air intake and constant air pressure to enable its 12,000 BTUs (ASHRAE) of power to cool faster compared to single hose type units.
- 24-hour programmable timer - for faster, reliable and efficient energy-saving use, you can set the portable air conditioner unit to cycle on and off automatically. The best part of it is that you can program the unit to turn itself on exactly the time you step your foot at home and the same way to turn itself off once you leave home.
- Multiple operational modes - functions include cool, dehumidify, fan only and heat for customized air flow quality.
- Full and dependable thermostat control - from 61 degree F to 89 degrees F, you can set the perfect temperature for you that never falters to give the right temperature.
- Eco-friendly components - the portable air conditioner unit makes use of Lead-free RoHS compliant components meaning they do not contain the 6 major toxins, CFC-free green gas or R-104A refrigerant gas.
- Patented auto-drain function - this unit is self evaporative and comes equipped with an internal condensate Auto Pump removes excess condensate that may accumulate in high humidity conditions.
- 7,500 BTUs cooling power (DOE), 12,000 BTUs cooling power (ASHRAE, 10,000 BTUs heating power
- 2-in-1 Function, cools, heats and dehumidifies
- Washable pre-filter
- Carbon air filter for fresher, cleaner and odorless air.
- Lots of convenient features from multiple operating modes, 3-fan speeds( low, medium, high), a fully programmable thermostat and 24-hour timer.
- Eco-friendly portable air conditioner
- Quiet operation – under 52 dB at its highest fan speed
- Has upper and lower drain port for sweat-free operation
- Window kit installation included with the unit
- Fitted with smooth rolling casters for easy movement.
- With its dual-hose, it cools faster than comparable single hose air conditioners.
- Compared to other similar models, this has a smaller room coverage of up to 400 sq ft only.
Majority of the customers love its powerful performance and say that the Whynter Elite ARC-122DHP 12,000 BTU Digital Portable AC is so energy-efficient that they notice a drop in their electricity bills almost instantaneously after switching to this unit.
Its features are what made it very a great choice. The multiple operation modes, its fully programmable thermostat control, as well as its environment-friendliness. For the customers, there is nothing like a portable air conditioner unit that operates quietly and efficiently while saving on both energy costs and the environment.
Now that you gone through out top recommended ACs for garages, here are factors that make any of the above portable air conditioner units so ideal for garages;
Factors To Consider When Buying A Portable Air Conditioner
1. Lightweight, comfortable carry handles and caster wheels
Remember, undersized units or lighter units won’t adequately cool a larger room as the room airflow coverage is lesser compared to slightly larger ones while in some cases too large or heavier will not remove enough humidity. Portable air conditioners vary in weight and size. Others may weigh as light as 50 lbs and other portable air conditioners can go as heavy as 80 lbs.
These portable air conditioners are made to be easy to maneuver hence no hassle to move around from place to place. Some units come fitted with caster wheels for ease of movement as they can be rolled from one room to another. Now, you may think that the built-in casters will make it effortless to roll an 80-pound machine from room to room but you are slightly wrong. Anything that weighs that much will need some effort in pulling or pushing. That is where the sturdy handles become useful.
While the wheels make it easy to transport and maneuver, portable does not mean the unit can be carried easily. They still weigh of course and carry handles will make the whole process much easier.
2. Operational effectiveness and efficiency
Efficiency in a portble air conditioner is measured by the Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER); and the higher the EER, the more efficient the model.
The effectiveness of these portable air conditioner unit heavily relies on factors like the size of the space being cooled, how high the ceilings is, the airflow, the season or weather as well as the placement of the portable air conditioner.
The purpose of central units and portable air conditioner units differ in the sense that a central unit aims to cool an entire house or space that is greater than 500 sq ft in size whereas a portable air conditioner aims to be easy to maneuver, compact enough to store in seasons that it is not needed and cools down only a particular area in a big room or a space.
Most manufacturers use BTUs or British Thermal Unit to measure the power of air conditioners. The higher the number of BTUs, the stronger it is and the bigger the room it can keep cool.
3. Venting and installation: Dual-hose or single-hose
Another thing that may make a portable air conditioner worthy and not at the same time is the fact that it has the simplest venting procedure from just opening a window slightly to point the end of the venting hose towards the outside or use a window venting kit that which requires some drilling of a hole in the wall or window frame. The latter may not really be practical if your purpose is to roll the portable air conditioner unit from one space to another.
On a positive note, it is always drilling-a-hole in the wall or window frame procedure that is done by homeowners because it lets them close the window while using the portable air conditioner unit.
Dual-hose type of portable air conditioner units is designed to have one intake hose and one exhaust hose. The fact that it has two separate hose is said to make it more efficient in cooling a space or room approximately 40% faster than single-hose designs. Single-hose type of portable air conditioner unit on the other hand use the same hose for intake and exhaust. While it is doing its job to cool the space, it will have to work harder compared to a dual-hose type of unit.
4. Budget or cost
The cost of portable air conditioner units vary from a few hundred dollars up to 700 dollars. The bigger, the better does not actually apply to portable air conditioners. You may want to consider that the bigger it is, it means that the heavier it is also. So, if you want a portable air conditioner that is quick and quite effortless to maneuver then better scout for units that are less than 80 pounds with casters and sturdy handles for pushing and pulling.
The price tag on a portable air conditioner unit is only a part of the whole expense. You also have to consider the cost of energy and electricity it will consume while it is operating. Some ongoing costs that should also be put into consideration are the replacement of filters in case it wears off and for maintenance jobs in the event of unit breakdown.
Some additional features that you also might want to consider:
4. Programmable thermostat
A 10-hour and 24-hour programmable thermostat are the most common numbers advertised by portable air conditioner manufacturers. The thermostat lets you set the unit to the exact temperature you want. Most units that have this thermostat that allow you to relax or sleep without having to stand up or use any muscle effort to lift the remote control to manually turn off the portable air conditioner once you felt cold. The most awesome thing about programmable thermostat is that it can be pre-programmed, wherein the unit starts to cool at specific times, (even when you’re away) and at times that it does not need to, it will only be in fan mode.
Most portable air conditioners have dehumidifiers as well. It varies only on the exhausting and condensation process. Some need buckets or drain trays, others have hose that directly brings the moist outside, and there are portable air conditioners that are self evaporating, meaning the unit gets rid of most if not all of the moisture by itself so there is minimal human effort used in regular emptying the condensate.
6. Auto-drain system
A portable air conditioner unit that has an auto-drain system can turn the moisture from condensation into the exhaust. This system also makes the coils inside durable as it eliminates the build up of ice from condensation.
7. Remote control, Wi-Fi (smartphone app), and control panel integration –
The remote control, mobile app (if any) and the control panel on the unit all have the same functions and are in sync. Whatever command pressed on the control panel must be recognized by the remote control or the mobile application. The convenience here is that you don’t have to keep going to the unit to set and adjust the settings.
8. Heat plus Cool and fan speed
With built-in heat pumps or electric heaters portable air conditioners like some options above are able to provide supplemental heat in addition to fan air circulation and cooling with. 3 is the usual number of fan speed a unit can provide. Fan speed include – low, medium, and high.
You can have the cool space you need while using environmentally-friendly home equipment. Look for portable air conditioners that abide and comply with the RoHS or Restriction of Hazardous Substances directive which means the unit uses components that do not contain the 6 toxic chemicals. Most portable air conditioner units that makes use of ozone-safe or CFC-free R104-A refrigerant gas.
10. Auto shut off features and maintenance alerts -
For protection against fire hazards, the portable air conditioner unit must may be equipped with LCDI plugs for extreme safe usage.
Also, air conditioners come with air filters that need the occasional cleaning or replacement and depending on the brand, some units are able to notify you when the filter is dirty and needs cleaning or when the filter’s life span has been reached and needs to be replacement for continued optimal performance.
Additionally, units that come with condensate buckets may be able to notify you on the LCD display when the bucket is full and needs emptying, or shut off the dehumidification process altogether to prevent the water from overflowing.
While portable Air Conditioners tend to be energy efficient and can save you money on your monthly energy bill, not everyone can afford to have a central air conditioning system to cool their homes. Not all buildings, especially condominium types allow renters to cut a hole in the wall or ceiling to mount and install a traditional air conditioner unit.
And yet again, maybe an air conditioner may not be necessary for you all-year round as the seasons change. Window-mounted air conditioning unit may not be applicable to scenarios aforementioned. With that, a portable air conditioning unit enters the stage. It gives you the cool air you need, without the previously mentioned hindrances. Whether it’s the garage, living room or bedroom, the benefits and versatility of portable air conditioner are numerous, enabling you to use it only when and where it’s most needed.