It’s understandable. You cannot afford the time or maybe you don’t want to always go through the process of building a fire from scratch and keeping it burning to then cleaning the ash afterwards. And so, you are here for a convenient fireplace solution; realistic electric fireplace logs.
Nothing beats a good old fireplace in making any place feel like home. It invades all the senses in a good way, with its beautiful dancing flames for the eyes, the crackling sounds for the ears and the incredibly comforting warmth for the body.
But with the fast paced lifestyle that most people are living in today, only a few have the luxury of time and the patience. And that is why, electric fireplace logs and inserts are quickly becoming a staple in many homes nowadays.
Aside from the much simplified start-up and maintenance, there are numerous logs and log inserts for electric fireplaces that can mimic real logs and even the flames realistically complete with the dancing flames and some, even the crackling noises.
From flickering projected flames, rolling light effects that perfectly give the illusion of real flames, vibrating and pulsating effects to fire sounds for that complete and authentic fireplace ambiance, options are available for every kind of preference.
Below we highlight some of these options that are unbelievably realistic.
Review of the Best Most Realistic Electric Fireplace Logs
1. Duraflame DFI021ARU Electric Log Set Heater with Realistic Ember Bed
Do you know that every time you use a Duraflame log insert, you are contributing to saving over 1.2 million of trees from being cut to be used as firewood in a year? Duraflame’s passion in contributing to making the world better even just a little eventually paid back because this eco- friendly fire log company is now one of the leading brands across America after over 50 years.
The result of painstaking research, repeated quality checks and tests, and continuously conserving the environment, are fire starter products that do not only make everyday living a world’s away easier and convenient, but also strikingly pleasing to the eyes as well.
One of the prides of the company is the Duraflame DFI021ARU Electric Log Set Heater that comes with an exciting realistic ember bed.
Impressively mirroring a real fireplace flame, the imitation firewood with well crafted textures and colors is fantastically assembled to look like random logs piled on top of each other.
Once you turn the unit on, its glowing flame effect is amazing with its glowing and even pulsating rolling light effects which radiates from the logs. Add to that the projection flame that dances by the rear side and you have got yourself a homey little fireplace.
But of course, just like a real, beautifully messy fireplace, you have to have embers. This model comes complete with a realistic ember bed in an antique finished black grill as well, lending your modern electric fireplace a classical and natural look.
The treat does not end with its realistic appearance though.
You can also enjoy the same comforting heat that you get from the traditional fireplace with this model’s 4,600 BTU heater that provides energy-saving zone heating which you can use independently from its faux flames.
It also features a thermostat and an overheat protection function to prevent your unit from overheating your room.
All these come ready with everything you need for installation with no need for gas lines or venting.
- Dimensions: 20.5 x 8.66 x 12 inches
- 4,600 BTU Heater that delivers energy- saving zone heating, suitable for rooms up to 400 square feet
- Realistic log set which sparks, pulsates, and even rolls to mimic real fiery logs
- Projected flame effect at the back
- With an adjustable thermostat
- Overheat protection that automatically shuts itself off to keep the room from overheating
- Utilizes long lasting LED technology
- Comes with a remote control and two AAA batteries and everything you need for installation
- CSA safety certified
2. Dimplex Revillusion 20-Inch Electric Fireplace Log Set
Offering only the best, Dimplex’s commitment and passion in creating and developing electric heating units that will significantly lighten every home’s burdens can be seen in a total of 30 patents that the company has since been granted ever since entering the market.
One of the results of their devoted researches and initiatives is the Revillusion 20-Inch Electric Fireplace Log Set that is widely acclaimed for its ultra realistic look that can deceive anyone into thinking that you have a well- tended traditional fireplace.
This widely attested realistic burning fireplace’s appearance can be credited to its innovative Revillusion Technology which takes the unit’s already realistic flickering effects and flames, and makes them even brighter and larger, giving a sight of a very alive and authentic flame dancing up high without faltering.
The projected flame totally looks so merry, coming from a specially designed mirage panel that is made to not make any reflections.
Further, you can also adjust the brightness of the faux flames for the exact ambiance that you are going for.
Not only that, you can also choose a certain flickering effect to further enhance the look of your electric fireplace.
More than its physical appearance, this stunner can also provide ample heating to rooms with sizes up to 400 square meter thanks to its hidden fan- forced ceramic heaters.
You can use this heating function without lighting the flame effects and vice versa so you can still have a pleasantly toasty room without having to turn on the faux flames.
- Dimensions: 19 x 23.75 x 12.5 inches. Available in a different size as well
- Revillusion Technology which gives off projected flames that are bigger and brighter
- Flame effects are projected in a specially made mirage panel that is made from partially frosted acrylic
- Fan-forced ceramic heater concealed within the unit
- 100% efficient with no harmful emissions
3. Turbo Eternal Flame EF-23-PB Electric Fireplace Logs
Looking at this magical contraption, one would think that the flames they see are eternally dancing and flickering with such steadiness and beauty with no trace of ever waning. This Turbo Eternal Flame electric fireplace log insert is fast becoming a favorite among homes, apartments, condos and even hotels and offices with its highly sophisticated faux logs that look like they came straight out of a page of a magazine or a coffee book.
This log insert with its realistic pinewood ember design that is cleverly crafted from high quality resin gives out an air of an old- worldly comfort, especially when you light this beauty up against a darkly colored fireplace or interior theme, not mentioning the brilliantly curved little details with all its rough woody textures and deep crevices. I
ts flickering log effect is made possible by a light technology which makes the glow look like it is caused by a burning from within every single logs, and an additional flame work is projected outstandingly just about behind the woods.
The projected flame is made up of different shades of oranges and yellows that are blended and layered together to realistically copy a real fire’s look.
Moreover, you can also adjust how bright your flame and embers will be, so that your electric fireplace gives off that ambiance you’re going for at that particular time.
Notwithstanding its physical beauty, this log insert for electric fireplaces also comes with a heater and even a thermostat!
With its 100% Pure Convection Heating, in just one click of a button, your room will instantly feel warm and with its thermostat, you can even adjust the temperature according to your liking.
With its 42 decibel noise, the heater’s sound will be almost inaudible and just right for a lively fireplace.
Moreover, you can now say goodbye to the tedious affair of sticking out your hand in the fireplace trying to light up a fire and risking getting burned because this stunner comes with a remote control for maximized comfort and convenience.
- Dimensions: 23 x 9 x 13 inches
- Faux pinewood log insert is made from high quality resin that sits on a black grate
- Adjustable flickering and projected flame to suit your liking (high, medium, low)
- With a heater that comes with an adjustable thermostat where you can control your temperature from 62℉ to 82℉, and a timer function
- 1400 Watts and 4777 BTU rating
- 42 decibels
- LED lighting effects
- Readily assembled. Just plug and play
- Low cost and energy-saving
- CSA certified
- Over-heating safety protection
- Comes with a remote control
Best with Crackling Sounds
But wait, the fun does not stop with ultra-realistic log inserts with built-in heaters, because some brands recognize the soothing ambiance the crackling sound from a fireplace gives and how some people just need that complete aura of a traditional fireplaces.
Below are two of our favorite log inserts with crackling sounds for homeowners.
4. Duraflame DFI041ARU-2 20-In Juniper Infrared Electric Fireplace Log Set with Crackling Sound
Now you can bring home that whole vibe with this Duraflame’s Juniper Infrared electric fireplace log set.
Mimicking all too perfectly a Juniper wood’s naturally elegant curves and swirls, the visual treat is further heightened by the glow and flickering coming from within the logs that perfectly simulates the fiery sparks a real Juniper wood gives off.
But even better is its equally realistic crackling sounds.
Heightening the experience even further, you can now watch your favorite show or read a book with a gentle crackling sound that is not too loud and now too low but just right as a pleasant background sound in your room.
Depending on your room’s size, this could be your only source of warmth or additional supplemental warmth thanks to this unit’s Quartz Infrared Heater, which can heat up a room that is as large as 1000 square feet.
What’s more, you can even adjust the temperature, flames and even the crackling sound effects to perfectly set your mood.
Just plug this baby up into a 120V outlet and you are good to go.
- Dimensions: 20.52in W x 14.43in H x 8.73 inches
- Highly realistic Juniper wood design
- Glowing and flickering light effects on the logs and a projected flame at the back
- Duraflame Quartz Infrared Heater which can heat up a room up to 1000 square feet
- With an equally realistic crackling sounds
- Adjustable temperature, flame’s brightness and crackling sound effect
- Comes with a remote control and a comprehensive manual
- Easy plug and play installation
- Compatible with a 120V outlet
5. Pleasant Hearth 20” Electric Crackling Natural Wood Logs
This impressive Pleasant Hearth electric log set is not only realistic looking, but it also comes complete with fire crackling sounds for that fireplace ambiance.
So therefore, aside from its ultra-realistic glowing ember bed that looks just like a real fiery cinder, you will also be treated with calming crackling noises that are not overwhelming.
What’s more, the logs are actually made of real American Birch wood.
Generally, the unit is easy to install and is equally easy to maintain, and is also perfectly compatible with any fireplace or a pre-existing wood grille, gas grate or burner.
- Dimensions: 10 x 20 x 10.25 inches
- Realistic glowing logs are made from real American Birchwood
- Realistic crackling noises
- Easy operational switches
- Plugs into any 120V outlet
- 1350 watts
- Compatible with any type of fireplace or grates
Logset with no Burner
6. Peterson Real Fyre 18 Inch Post Oak
If you are looking for a log insert that is meant for vented gas log systems, this Peterson Real Fyre log set model is especially for you.
Its logs with an ultra-high definition detailing and well-blended coloring make this model look unbelievably real.
The logs are actually made from high quality refractory ceramic that is modelled to look just like a real post oak firewood to give to give a touch of real wood authenticity! Further, steel rods that are painted black are inserted and camouflaged just between the logs to give it a reinforcement and raise them so it looks like you have a rich pile of chunky logs sitting in your fireplace.
In terms of installation, if you are a busy bee and can’t be bothered with all the wirings and running to and fro to the nearest hardware shop, this model thoughtfully comes with everything that you need for a fast installation that can be done in just a matter of minutes, as well as burning embers to complete the charmingly messy fireplace that you desire.
- Dimensions: 22.5 x 16 x 8.25 inches. 2 more sizes available as well
- Log inserts are made of high quality and long lasting ceramic material
- Steel rods are inserted for support
- It is specially designed for vented gas log systems
- No burner included
- Easy installation with extra accessories to aid you
7. Natural Glo Large Gas Fireplace Logs
True to their name, Natural Glo’s chunky pieces of fireplace logs are indeed natural-looking!
Lots of work goes into making sure that the logs appear just like real firewood from their design, detailing and coloring so that the logs look different from each other in size and appearance, just like real freshly-chopped logs that can be a little bit peeled and charred in some places and some with skins still intact.
This logset comes with no burner and can be used for most types of fireplaces including vented and direct vent gas fireplace, outdoor and indoor gas fireplaces, fireplaces with zero clearance, natural gas, gel-operated, outdoor fire pits, electric fireplaces and propane among other different kinds.
Therefore, this it an entirely versatile unit that you can use with various other structures and will probably still be usable in case you even change houses.
Further still, these faux logs are made of sturdy ceramic material that will last for years.
They are also highly realistic-looking, especially when on fire with some orange and red spots beneath them while burning. So for anyone none the wiser, they’ll look like real logs in your fireplace!
In addition to outstanding looks, this faux fireplace also provides ample heat because the ceramic fibers are highly- porous and can absorb and emit heat into a room excellently.
The package comes with 10 logs with 5 different designs and it will be up to you to arrange them according to your preference. Just ensure at least 1.5” of space between the logs and your gas orifices to avoid incomplete gas combustions that result in unwanted carbon buildup and soot.
- Logs’ sizes range from 15”-10”
- Compatible with most types of fireplaces
- Made from high quality ceramic
- Ceramic fibers are highly porous and can emit heat to warm the room
- 10 individual logs with 5 different designs for you to arrange accordingly
Perfect for sprucing up your your indoor fireplace, the above logs are versatile, clean burning decorative pieces that are as realistic as can be without that whole hassle of starting a fire and dealing with the ash afterwards.