Available in a variety of sizes including 20x25x1 Inches, the best high quality and effective furnace filters protect and enhance the longevity of your furnace, air conditioner, or HVAC system while also helping them to perform optimally to keep your indoor air contaminant-free.
Dust, gunk, allergens and molds are the most common contaminants. If left unchecked, these uninvited household guests multiply in numbers which could be detrimental health-wise which is why HVAC systems and furnaces with efficient air filters are such important equipments in the home.
Most people would typically forget about their furnace filters as long as they are warm during winter and cool in the summer. In reality, replacing it only depends on how dirty and dusty it looks.
The ideal replacement or cleaning of furnace filter should be done on a regular basis. Just like how often you would dust off your tabletops and cabinets, wipe your counter top and stove, as well as sweep your floor. It sounds very simple, but the truth is, selecting the wrong furnace filter can do more damage than good and can potentially cause a break down.
We all know how furnace works. Almost all homes have furnaces to keep members of the family warm during colder days and cool on hotter days. Furnaces are created and designed to continuously run until the indoor temperature reaches the desired thermostat setting. The typical process starts with the furnace drawing air in through return ducts. The heat exchange warms the air before the blower fan pushes the heated air through a series of ducts. At the end of these ducts branch off into rooms throughout the house. Thus, distributing warm air into rooms with duct connections.
Furnace filters are important because they do the job of removing contaminants. If the filter itself is dirty, the air that will be heated and pushed through ducts into rooms will end up unclean as well. Furnace filters are also designed to protect the inner parts of the furnace by keeping unwanted dust and debris from penetrating and collecting on the fans and inside the ducts.
What is MERV and How To Select Suitable MERV Ratings For Your Furnace Filter
Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value, or MERV, is the rating used to determine the effectiveness of furnace filters. MERV rating starts from 1 to 16. The higher the rating given to a furnace filter, the more particles it can remove.
Generally, a furnace filter rated between MERV 8 and 11 is already adequate for medium and large households. A basic MERV 4 filter is the cheapest in the market but you only get what you pay for. Furnace filters with MERV 4 do not have the capacity to catch small particles like dust mites and pet dander.
Before purchasing a filter, consider your surroundings and family members. Does your house get dust built up regularly? Do you have pets that shed hair? Is there a family member with a mild to severe cases of allergies and other health issues? By asking the right questions, you will be able to choose a furnace filter with a suitable MERV rating.
Furnace filters can make or break your furnace. The wrong filter can force your furnace to work harder, resulting in system break down and increasing the cost of energy. On a final note, it is always best to refer to the standard MERV rating in order to avoid unnecessary costs and achieve great results.
Review of the Best Furnace Filters 20x25x1 Inches in Size
In this article, we have gathered no less than 10 of the best furnace filters with a standard size of 20” x 25” x 1” so if that’s the size you’re looking for then you’ve come to the right place. If you’re looking for other sizes, the reviewed furnace filters below are not exclusively limited to one size. Most of them all also available in other sizes and packs as well.
1. Filtrete 20x25x1, AC Furnace Air Filter, MPR 1000, Micro Allergen Defense
The Filtrete Micro Allergen Defense MPR 1000 furnace filters are available in packs of 2, 4 and 6 in multiple sizes including 20x25x1 Inches.
It is patented with 3-in-1 technology that can trap small particles including smoke and pet dander.
These furnace filters can be replaced after 3 months of use. On the last month of usage, the Filtrete MPR 1000 can still block particles and let air pass through.
Features and Specifications of the Filtrete MPR 1000
- Filtrete Brand 3-in-1 technology – the 3M traps unwanted air particles such as lint, household dust, dust mite debris, mold spores, pollen, pet dander and smoke.
- Electrostatically charged pleated filters – the filter attracts and traps particle from the air.
- MPR rating: 1000 MPR- equivalent of MERV rating of 11
- Filter life: 3 months
- Available in variety of sizes – 4”, 4” slim fit and 5” air filters.
- Filters are packed together, no individual packaging which can make unused filter accumulate dust.
- Not washable.
Households with an asthmatic family member patronize Filtrete Micro Allergen Defense MPR1000 because of its capacity to trap pet dander, smoke and other particles that can trigger an asthma attacks.
For some customers, the filter last longer than 3 months that is why they find Filtrete Micro Allergen Defense MPR1000 a good investment.
2. Filtrete 20x25x1, AC Furnace Air Filter, MPR 300, Clean Living Basic Dust
Suitable for homes without asthmatic family members, the Filtrete Clean Living Basic MPR 300 Furnace Filters does the job it was created to. It can filter unwanted large air particles especially dust.
The filter may be cheap but it attracts and traps, with usable lifespan of 3 months.
Features and Specifications of the MPR 300
- Filtrete™ Brand 3-in-1 technology – the 3M traps unwanted air particles such as lint, household dust and dust mite debris.
- Electrostatically charged – the filter attracts and traps particles from the air.
- MPR rating: 300 MPR
- MERV rating: MERV 5
- Filter life: 3 months
- Cheap but excellently does the filtering.
- Filters are packed together, no individual packaging which can make unused filter accumulate dust.
- Not washable.
Majority of the customers loved the product due to its inexpensive price and the amount of job it does in keeping unwanted debris off the furnace. There is a good balance between the Filtrete MPR 300’s quality and price.
3. E-Z Flow Air Filter, MERV 4, 20x25x 1-Inch
The UL class II rated E-Z Flow Air Filter is able to trap household dust, lint and dust. Its continuous chipboard design and one-sided metal media retainer lets the filter last longer than it should. For optimum performance, the manufacturer suggest a 30-day replacement of filter.
Features and Specifications of the E-Z Flow Air Filter MERV 4
- MERV rating: MERV 4
- One-sided metal media retainer – to further strengthen the filter, a metal media retainer is used to seal it.
- Continuous chipboard design – to guard against corner separation, the E-Z Flow Air Filter is designed with continuous chipboard.
- Available in almost any size that several sizes to fit most household air quality units.
- UL class II rated.
- Comes in packs of 12 give you complete value for money while also increasing the time between replacements
- Lasts only for 30 days.
- Lower MERV rating
The E-Z Flow Air Filter is a customer favorite because of its sturdy and thick media with metal mesh retaining wall. It does a substantial amount of work in filtering household dust. The 12 pieces of filter lasted most customers a year, using only one filter a month. They said changing the filter every now and then was not a chore to do because of how easy and quick it can be done.
4. Nordic Pure 20x25x1 MERV 12 Pleated AC Furnace Air Filters
The Nordic Pure furnace filter removes every unwanted debris that can be usually found inside the house – lint, household dust, pollen, smoke particles, dust mites, pet dander, virus carriers, mold spores and other contaminants.
The manufacturer suggest a replacement every 30 to 90 days, depending on how dirty the surroundings of the house can get.
Features and Specifications of the Nordic Pure MERV 12
- Hypoallergenic, antimicrobial, and electrostatic filter material – the nordic pure filters are pleated and are excellent in trapping pet dander as well as smoke particles that can trigger asthma and allergies.
- MERV rating: MERV 12
- Half the cost of other filters in the market but does the work efficiently.
- Filters are packed as a bundle – after taking one filter, others are exposed to dirt contamination.
The customers of the 6-pack Nordic Pure MERV 12 Pleated AC Furnace Air Filters express their satisfaction over the filter’s special hypoallergenic, antimicrobial, and electrostatic material.
The Nordic Pure more than exceeds expectations of some customers. Replacement for some users was longer than the suggested time frame of the manufacturer.
5. FilterBuy AFB MERV 8 20x25x1 Pleated AC Furnace Air Filter
More pleats means better airflow and reduced energy costs as well as better particle holding capabilities, the FilterBuy AFB Pleated AC Furnace Air Filter is designed with as much pleats to make it more efficient. Designed to last 3 months, the filter removes lint & dust, dust mite debris, pollen and mold spores.
Features and Specifications of the FilterBuy AFB MERV 8
- AFB silver – the FilterBuy Pleated AC Furnace Air Filter has an advanced filter that offers increased filtration of dust mites and other allergens.
- Long-lasting and high quality – the filter is 20 times more efficient than fiberglass filters and 3 times more long-lasting compared to other filters with similar features.
- Greater working surface area – with 12 pleats per foot and beverage board frame design, the filter is able to trap more airborne particles and withstand exposure to dampness and temperatures up to 200° F.
- MERV rating – MERV 8
- Longer lasting pleated filter
- Greater surface area that is meant to withstand damp exposure.
- Pieces are wrapped individually.
- Tend to be too dense, may not freely let air pass through.
The customers of the FilterBuy AFB MERV 8 are immensely satisfied with the amount of trapping the filter does. The filter basically slides into the fit for quick installation. Despite the many praises, one customer mentioned that the sides of the filter can be bent easily especially when forcing it to fit a smaller-sized fitting.
6. AIRx Allergy 20x25x1 MERV 11 Pleated Air Filter
The 6-pack AIRx Allergy Pleated Air Filter has a MERV rating of 11. A MERV rating of 11 means the furnace filter can capture smaller debris efficiently, letting the furnace work more efficiently.
The furnace filter can remove mold spores, dust, pollen, pet dander, smoking, cooking, cleaning odors.
Features and Specifications of the AIRx Allergy MERV 11
- Pleated design and 25% more media – for better airflow and dust loading, the Air x Allergy pleated air filter has 25% more media into it. Its pleated design was created to capture and trap cooking odors.
- MERV rating – MERV 11
- Efficient filtering capacity – has 25% more media in the materials used and effectively pleated for two times more capture.
- Available in several sizes
- Sizes may not be as labeled according to some customers – a mistake by the manufacturer perhaps.
Captures like magnet and traps like a mouse trap – as described by a customer. The AIRx Allergy Pleated Air Filter is patronized for material composure that works well for lots of its customers.
Although, despite the efficiency in capturing unnecessary debris, the MERV 11 rating on this filter is not suitable for homes with weaker furnace. Some of the customers said their furnaces broke down due to the powerful filter.
7. Filtrete 20x25x1 Smart Air Filter, Allergen, Bacteria and Virus AC Furnace Air Filter
Besides its premium features of exclusive 3M technology, tracker app and bluetooth-enabled sensor pairs, the Filtrete Smart Air Filter MPR 1500 Bacteria & Virus attracts and captures microscopic particles like bacteria, particles that can carry viruses, and large particles like mold spores and pollen, pet dander. Smoke from cigarettes and cooking odors are also repelled from entering the furnace.
Features and Specifications of the Filtrete Smart Air Filter MPR 1500 Bacteria & Virus
- Exclusive 3M technology – the 3M traps unwanted air particles.
- Bluetooth-enabled sensor pairs – attracts and captures microscopic particles like bacteria, particles that can carry viruses, and large particles like mold spores and pollen.
- Filtrete Smart App – available on iOS and Android devices. Track the life of your filter based on air flow and usage. Receive reminders on when to purchase replacement filters.
- MERV rating – MERV 12
- MPR rating – 1500
- Intelligent bluetooth-enabled and app tracker – you will never have to worry about changing your filter too early or too late.
- Bluetooth may not work always.
A customer of the Filtrete Smart Air Filter MPR 1500 Bacteria and Virus shared her wonderful experience. She mentioned, the Smart Air Filter MPR 1500 is the perfect filter since it has an alarm app with the messages to change it.
Majority of the customers expressed their astonishment towards the efficiency of the app. Since most of them forget about changing their filters, until the app alerted them. Replacement is easy and quick.
8. Nordic Pure 20x25x1 MERV 8 Pleated AC Furnace Air Filters
For residential or commercial application, the powerful 6-pack Nordic Pure MERV 12 will last you the whole year.
The manufacturer suggests replacing the filter in 3 months for efficiency and protection of the furnace. This is ideal for removing smoke, smog, exhaust, bacteria, Viruses, candle soot, lint, dust particles, pollen, dust mites, mold spores and pet dander.
Features and Specifications of the Nordic Pure
- Hypoallergenic and antimicrobial pleated electrostatic filter material – with its hypoallergenic pleats, the filter traps allergens that cause an asthma attack. The antimicrobial pleats and electrostatic lining efficiently captures debris and other contaminants.
- Heavy duty, moisture-resistant beverage board frame – the framing of the filter is made of moisture-resistant board frame for durability and resistant to the damp outdoor surroundings.
- MERV rating – MERV 12
- MPR rating of 1500-1924
- Longer-lasting filter relative to competitor’s filters.
- Heavy duty and moisture-resistant board – for outdoor protection.
- Filters are packed in a bundle – opening the package to use one will cause the other filters to be exposed to contamination if not well stored.
Customers who have allergies and asthmatic family members found a perfect match with the Nordic Pure MERV 12 air furnace filter. Other customers say switching the filter after every 3 months may not be the most efficient interval as it would have already accumulated lots of dust making the furnace work harder because of limited air passing through the filters.
Nevertheless, the majority of the customers appreciated the amount of unwanted debris that is captured by the filters.
9. Aerostar 20x25x1 MERV 11 Pleated Air Filter
The Aerostar MERV 11 Pleated Air Filter is said to be ideal for families with pet as it effectively captures pet dander in addition to other unwanted particles. The extreme infiltration of the filter is caused by its electrostatically charged synthetic material.
Features and Specifications of the Aerostar MERV 11
- Designed for Superior Filtration Efficiency – the Aerostar MERV 11 Pleated Air Filter is made with electrostatically charged synthetic material that draws and captures allergens between 3 to 10 microns, including debris like lint, dust mites, mold spores, pollen, pet dander, and dust.
- MPR rating – MPR 600
- MERV rating – MERV 11
- A very large selection of sizes to chose from
- Ideal upgrade from standard disposable panel filters – comparable to 3M Filtrete filters with MPR rating of 600 clean living and MPR 1000 to 1200 Micro Allergen Defense.
- Several complains on filters not being true to size
Customers’ experience with Aerostar MERV 11 is comparable to many big brand filters in the market like the Filtrete. The Aerostar filters can trap debris as they should and are long lasting. The suggested replacement duration is exceeded by some of its customers.
10. Filtrete 20x25x1, AC Furnace Air Filter, MPR 1900, Healthy Living Ultimate Allergen
The 2-pack Filtrete MPR 1900 Healthy Living Ultimate Allergen is said to outperform filters made of fiberglass, as well as washable and non-electrostatic pleated air filters.
With its 3M technology, the filter is able to attract and capture microscopic particles such as smoke, cough and sneeze debris, bacteria and viruses and large particles, including lint, household dust and pollen.
Features and Specifications of the Filtrete MPR 1900 Healthy Living Ultimate Allergen
- Filtrete Brand 3-in-1 technology – the Healthy Living Ultimate Allergen traps unwanted air particles while letting cleaner air flow through.
- MERV rating – MERV 13
- MPR rating – MPR 1900
- Vast selection of sizes
- Despite the high MERV rating of 13, the filters are still applicable for residential use and will not do damage to old furnaces.
- Slight restriction of airflow.
Odor repellent, debris catcher and virus-sucker. These are a few descriptions from some of the customers. The Filtrete MPR 1900 Healthy Living Ultimate Allergen works for customers with high power furnace and fairly new ones. Customers of the brand express their satisfaction over the efficiency and hard work the filters do.
Most Common Types of Residential Furnace Filters
These are some of the most common furnace filters used for households. Of the several types, some can be washed and reused while others are disposable after consumption of the maximum time used.
1. Panel or Fiberglass filters
With MERV rating between 2 and 4, the panel or fiberglass filter is the first type of furnace filter that will be offered to you at the local hardware store. It is made of one-inch thick spun fiberglass in the center and cardboard borders on both sides. Panel or fiberglass filters are basically old-fashioned.
Pros of Panel or Fiberglass filters
- Inexpensive – normally within the price range of 1 to 2 dollars.
- Easy to replace and fits all furnaces.
Cons of Panel or Fiberglass filters
- Provides minimal air cleaning benefits – mainly used to gate the furnace.
- Does not have the capacity to get rid of allergens.
- They are not washable or reusable.
2. Pleated or Allergy Pleated filters
This type of filter is designed to ensure optimum airborne dust and dirt are captured. They are somehow similar to panel filters but have pleats to increase the capacity of the surface area, allowing more air particles and pollutants to be contained. The pleated or allergy pleated filters have MERV rating between the range of 6 and 8.
Pros of Pleated or Allergy Pleated filters
- Made of green materials – good way to incorporate eco-friendly products in the household.
- Inexpensive – normally costs between 5 to 10 dollars.
Cons of Pleated or Allergy Pleated filters
- They are not washable and reusable.
- Can cause resistance for the airflow due to the pleated design.
3. Electrostatic filters
The self-charging cotton or paper fibers on electrostatic filters create a positive charge that attracts air impurities like dirt, dust, and allergens as air passes through. Electrostatic filter have MERV rating between 8 to 10. This type of filter can be permanent but there are also manufacturers who create this type of filter to be disposable. For permanent filter type, accumulated air impurities remain on the filter until it is washed off. Compared to panel and pleated filters, this filter can trap smaller particles.
Pros of Electrostatic filters
- For reusable type, the replacement of filter is reduced.
- Suitable for households with pets and smokers.
- Fits most standard sized furnaces.
Cons of Electrostatic filters
- Customizing this type of filter can be expensive.
- Quite costly – typically cost anywhere between 20 to 200 dollars.
4. High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filters
Although this type of filter is commonly used in commercial locations like hospitals, nursing homes, and other medical facilities, a lot of households still utilize it. For households with a family member suffering from allergies and breathing disorders, the HEPA filter is best suitable. While this type of filter has a MERV rating between the range of 17 to 20, there are certain HEPA filters with rating of 12 that are suitable for residential use.
Pros of HEPA filters
- Efficient in removing even the tiniest of particles, especially allergens. So efficient are some of these filters that they do so with a 99.9% efficiency.
Cons of HEPA filters
- Since they are not created for residential use, to retrofit the filters into furnaces can be costly.
- More expensive that the other 4 types.
- Like pleated filters, HEPA filters can restrict the airflow of the furnace.
5 Reasons to Replace Your Furnace Filter
Energy Star suggests replacing filter every month, so do manufacturers that abide by the regulations of the entity.
At the bare minimum, do not let three months pass by without washing or replacing your furnace filters. Furthermore, here are the five major benefits of changing your filter.
1. To extend the furnace lifespan
A dirty filter is a filter that will not be capable of doing the job effectively. This is the most common reason why heating and air conditioning system breaks down. As dirt builds up, air won’t penetrate easily, the system overheats due to overworking to keeping air circulated.
However, when a unit is older and past its limit, replacing filters will not help there because you will end up buying a new furnace system.
Bottom line is, replace your filters to prolong your furnace system’s operating life.
2. Keep energy costs down
A clogged furnace filter will make the furnace work harder to circulate air. Thus, more energy is required. More energy is required to make heating and air conditioning functions, and expect your electricity billing to be higher.
If you consistently replace or wash your furnace filters, you can save 5 to 15 percent on your utility billings. The clean furnace filter means your bills will be lower.
3. Maintain air quality at a healthy level
More than anything else, the purpose of filters is to maintain air quality. If your furnace is covered in dirt and other unwanted debris then what is it doing after all? Dirty furnace filters only exacerbate the conditions of a person with asthma or allergies, it worsens the air quality.
Do the math. It will cost you less to replace your furnace filter than to take a family member to the doctor frequently because of recurring allergies and other respiratory issues. Prevention is better than cure.
4. Keep the heated air clean
Furnaces are very precious, their role is to provide heating and air circulation. A furnace filter is basically the security that prevents any debris or unwanted allergen to penetrate it and pollute the entire unit. With a clogged up furnace filter, comes a clogged up furnace. This means extra repairs as well as extra and unnecessary cost of service and parts.
5. For your own peace of mind
To conclude, replacing your furnace filter frequently will bring you peace of mind. Peace of mind, in terms of not having to worry about your bills skyrocketing due to extra expenses just to replace the furnace, and most especially not worrying about a family member’s health. A clean furnace filter will bring you a clean peace of mind.
Final Thoughts on the Best Furnace Filters 20x25x1 Inches in Size
All the mentioned furnace filters above highlight different contaminants that they are able tackle and capture including pet dander, odor removal, mold spore removal, dust removal and so many more. So, before you purchase your furnace filter, first of all evaluate your needs and what you need the filters to eliminate.
Finally, remember to always replace your furnace filters every so often as this will save you money in the long run while also ensuring your furnace runs smoothly and works optimally.
Did this review help you determine the furnace filter that will retrofit your furnace? Did we miss out on some important FAQs that could have been useful? In case we did miss out on a filter that you think should have been on this list, please do not hesitate to share your thoughts in the comments section below.