When asked what exactly makes up a perfect workplace, most office or home workers will argue that an ergonomic chair and an adjustable desk are the bare necessities. But, there are other items that seem mundane but play a big role in your daily office productivity, in preserving your health and the overall durability of your carpet or hardwood floor. Chair mats for carpets are some of those items that are important for any home or office setting looking to protect their flooring from constant wear and tear caused by the chair’s caster wheels or just the normal chair legs.
In fact, some flooring manufacturers have developed new policies of declaring warranties void for home or office workers who don’t use chair mats on their hardwood or carpeted floors.
But, chair mats aren’t just good for your floors. They’re also a great investment for your health too. According to studies by most orthopedic doctors, these mats provide a fluid movement of your work space chair reducing the effort needed each time you push the chair to roll.
A recent study concluded that an average worker pushes his/her chair about 300 times a day. With such statistics, it simply means that your back, legs, and muscles will be susceptible to serious pains and injuries which can result in low production in your workplace.
Now, even though chair mats are hugely credited for their versatility, that doesn’t mean that you should break the bank to get one. Although there are a myriad of options available, this guide has carefully curated eight of the best chair mats that are not only affordable and advertised to be ideal for carpet applications, they are also customer approved for delivering on their promise as evidenced by their very high ratings and popularity.
Review of the Best Chair Mats for Carpets
1. DoubleCheck Products Heavy Duty Chair Mat For Low and Medium Pile Carpets
If you’re looking for an ultimate chair mat to use on your low or medium pile carpet, one of the most popular and best selling options that you could consider is the DoubleCheck Products Heavy Duty Carpet Chair Mat.
This DoubleCheck Products Chair Mat is unbelievably heavy duty and long-lasting thanks to its non-breakable polycarbonate construction.
This mat is transparent giving you better visibility of your carpeted floor. It’s also metal hard meaning it doesn’t sink in plush carpets. It has a super grip backing that prevents unnecessary movements and it’s available in two sizes which are 36”×48”×1/8” rectangular and 36”×48”×1/8” rectangular with a lip.
If you’re keen on safety, this chair mat is phthalate-free and free from any volatile toxic compounds making it a safe option for indoor use.
Features of the DoubleCheck Products Heavy Duty Carpet Chair Mat
- Polycarbonate construction: as a high-standard chair mat, the DoubleCheck Products Chair Mat is constructed from a non-breakable polycarbonate material that’s not only long-lasting but also crack, curl, and scratch-resistant.
- 1/8” thickness: the thickness of 1/8” provides a sturdy and firm surface where you can roll your office chair without leaving indentations on the surface.
- Added lip area: although there’s the option of a plain rectangular shaped chair mat, those working in large offices can opt for the other model with an added lip portion. This portion extends under the desk and can provide a bigger surface area to roll your chair.
- Super grip backing: the studded underside of this mat is designed to hold it firmly on both low and medium-pile carpets. This technology helps the mat to hold firmly in place without shifting.
- Phthalate free: this mat is free from all toxic compounds making it a safe option for indoor use.
- Transparent: this chair mat is highly transparent giving you an explicit view of the decorations on your carpet. This is highly important for employees that work in offices that market their brand using their flooring.
- The transparent construction allows the beauty of your carpeted floor to shine through.
- Environmentally safe as it’s free from toxic compounds.
- Super grip backing prevents the mat from shifting.
- It has a lip portion that protects the carpet under your office desk.
- The mat doesn’t have a beveled edge so rolling on and off the mat is quite hard.
A huge number of online customers have preferred the DoubleCheck Products Chair Mat over its closest rivals due to its non-breakable polycarbonate construction which is said to be durable.
For those who own low to medium to pile carpets, this mat is said to sit the carpet firmly without sliding around, thus the chair is able to roll freely without sinking.
Other customers loved that it’s transparent while others expressed their satisfaction on the price and size stating that this mat is large enough to cover most of their work space area.
2. Marvelux Heavy Duty Polycarbonate (PC) Chair Mat for Low, Standard and Medium Pile Carpets
Rolling your chair on a plush carpet can be a difficult endeavor which can result in serious strain, pain, and fatigue on your feet. However, to save yourself this hassle, the chair mat that is the Marvelux Polycarbonate (PC) Rectangular Chair Mat is another great choice.
The surface is quite stiff allowing the mat to hold perfectly well on low to medium-sized carpets (with a thickness of up to ½”). Also made from pure polycarbonate material, this chair mat is transparent meaning you’ll have a clear view of the decorations on your carpet.
Lastly, the Marvelux Heavy Duty Rectangular Chair Mat is engineered with expertly designed studs that sink firmly on your carpet to secure the mat from shifting whenever you roll your office chair.
It’s also available in several sizes which you can choose from depending on the size of your workstation. These sizes include; 38”×48”, 47”×53”, 48”×51” and 48”×60”.
Features of the Marvelux Heavy Duty Polycarbonate Rectangular Chair Mat
- Polycarbonate construction: just like our first chair mat, the Marvelux too is constructed from a polycarbonate material which is stiff enough to offer the ultimate protection to your modern carpet.
- Easy-glide surface: Marvelux has designed the surface of the mat to be as smooth as possible to allow easy gliding of your chair’s caster wheels when rolling.
- Premium studded back: the backside of this mat is designed with premium studs that provide effective grip, enough to hold the mat in place when rolling.
- Toxic-free: lastly, this chair mat is constructed with non-toxic materials.
- This mat is versatile enough to handle low, medium, and heavy-duty tasks.
- It has a smooth surface that provides ease of movement to your office chair.
- It’s also transparent keeping the decorations on your carpet visible from the outside.
- The carpet is free from harsh chemicals and other toxic materials.
- This mat slides a lot.
- It can easily crack if heavy furniture is placed on top.
The Marvelux Heavy Duty Polycarbonate Rectangular Chair Mat is customer approved by a majority of customers an excellent performer. The design is said to be great, the endurance level is high and the overall performance is just phenomenal.
The only major issue from some customers is on the grip backing which doesn’t really hold well on thick carpets.
3. Starcounters Office Chair Mat for Carpeted Floors
Suggested for use on low and medium pile carpets, Starcounters Office Chair Mat also features a transparent design with a lip portion that allows the mat to extend below your office desk.
This mat is also constructed from a high-quality durable polycarbonate material which is way better than its cheaper plastic counterpart.
With measurements of 1/8”×48”×36”, this rectangular mat with a lip provides a larger surface area where you can roll your office chair without feeling too limited. The surface is firm and smooth while the base is held securely by prongs that sink into your carpet to provide a non-slip grip.
Features of the Starcounters Office Chair Mat
- Polycarbonate construction: the polycarbonate construction on this mat ensures it has a firm and smooth surface where you can roll your chair without sinking. Additionally, this mat has a thickness of 1/8” which keeps the mat firm and supportive.
- Pronged base: with the Starcounters Office Chair Mat has a pronged base that gives it enough grip to hold firm on plush carpets thereby preventing slipping and sliding.
- Transparent design: to make this mat versatile and highly usable in any office setting, Starcounters has used a transparent design that does not interfere with the office floor design.
- 100% recyclable: lastly, this mat is 100% recyclable and free from all harmful toxins such as vinyl, PVC, and phthalate. This makes the mat environmentally friendly and ideal for indoor use.
- It’s thick enough to prevent bending and curling when rolling.
- It has a pronged base that secures it from unnecessary sliding.
- This mat is environmentally safe.
- Although this mat has a thickness of 1/8”, it tends to bend when subjected to heavy weights.
- Some customers have complained that the mat might crack if used on plush carpets.
Hundreds of customers who’ve bought and used this mat have expressed their satisfaction due to several factors. First, the size and the thickness of this mat has truly impressed most customers stating that it’s exactly what they needed for their low to medium pile carpets.
A fraction of other customers have appreciated the low price range while others have loved the odor-free experience which makes the mat a better choice for indoor environments.
4. Floortex Cleartex UltiMat Polycarbonate Chair Mat
The Floortex Cleartex UltiMat Polycarbonate Chair Mat is one of the few chair mats in the market with an option suggested for use on not only low to medium pile carpets, but also high pile carpets as well.
It has a rectangular shape and is designed with a lip portion to make it usable under the office desk.
Also constructed from polycarbonate, this mat is metal stiff and firm enough to support medium weights without bulging inwards. Depending on the size of your workstation, you can choose the Floortex Cleartex UltiMat from a selection of different sizes including 35”×47” with lip, 35”×47” without lip, 39”×49” contoured, 48” ×48”, 48” ×53” with lip, 48” ×53” without the lip, to 48” ×79”.
If you’re truly mindful about interior decoration, the Floortex Cleartex UltiMat is transparent.
Features of the Floortex Cleartex UltiMat Polycarbonate Chair Mat
- Polycarbonate construction: the polycarbonate construction on this mat is a major plus as it makes it incredibly firm and tough enough to resist cracking, curling and discoloring.
- 100% recyclable: and in addition, Floortex Cleartex UltiMat is constructed from environmentally safe materials that are free from PVC and harmful toxins.
- Gripper back: this mat is designed with a gripper back to enhance stability when placed on low to medium-sized carpets.
- Transparent: lastly, this chair mat is completely transparent giving you an explicit view of the modern patterns and decorations on your carpet.
- Ideal for even longer and plush carpets
- This mat is available in a range of different sizes.
- It also has a lip portion that extends below your office desk.
- It’s environmentally safe
- The mat is firm and doesn’t curl, curve or discolor.
- This mat is quite fragile and might crack if heavy furniture is placed on top. In fact, some customers have mentioned that Floortex Cleartex doesn’t offer a crack guarantee.
- Edges of the mat are not beveled and you could hurt yourself if not careful.
The Floortex Cleartex UltiMat Polycarbonate Chair Mat has been reviewed by so many customers across the board. A majority of these reviews are actually super satisfied, with most of the shoppers expressing their appreciation over it’s performance and the lower price tag.
The polycarbonate construction has been said to indeed make the mat a firmer and tougher option as compared to PVC or plastic made chair mats.
The only issue with this mat as we have noted from a fraction of verified buyers is its susceptibility to cracking especially when a heavy load is placed on top.
5. Lorell Tempered Glass Chair Mat
So far, all the mats we’ve reviewed here are made from polycarbonate and are intended for carpeted floors mostly. However, the Lorell Tempered Glass Chair Mat is suggested to be a reliable option for all types of floorings, including medium pile, high pile or low pile carpets, hardwood floors and others
Constructed from tempered glass, this mat might look fragile at first sight. However, this chair mat is firm and tough and capable of handling up to an astounding 1000 pounds of weight on it.
This mat is also transparent meaning it won’t interfere with the beauty of your carpeted, tiled or hardwood floor. The Lorell Tempered Glass Chair Mat is easy to clean and it’s available in three sizes which are 36”, 50” and 60” sizes.
Features of the Lorell Tempered Glass Chair Mat
- Tempered glass construction: constructed from tempered glass, this mat is versatile enough to secure all types of floors from damages caused by your chair’s caster wheels. The glass material used is also scratch-resistant and very smooth giving you an uninterrupted rolling experience.
- Transparent design: if you care much about the beauty of your floor, and uninterrupted appearance, the transparent design of this glass mat will ensure that you get a clear view of the beauty that lies beneath it.
- Rounded edges: as a safety parameter, the edges of this mat are designed to be smooth and curvy thus protecting you from accidents in case you trip on the mat.
- This mat is glass made so it doesn’t curve or curl.
- This mat is heavy-duty and able to endure weights of up to 1000 pounds.
- This mat is not limited to a specific floor type.
- At 39.7 pounds, this mat is considered to be quite heavy.
The Lorell Tempered Glass Chair Mat is definitely one of the highest rated chair mats.
Most of these customers have appreciated the super-strong glass construction which keeps the mat firm and very stiff. This mat doesn’t curve inwards nor does it curl on the edges as most PVC mats do.
Something else about the glass construction most customers are impressed about is the use of non-toxic materials which are present in most plastic mats.
Despite the many bells and whistles, a fraction of verified shoppers have expressed their dissatisfaction with this mat stating that it’s slightly on the heavy side but other than that, this is said to be great purchase that most of it’s customers recommend highly.
6. Marvelux Mat for Low, Standard and Medium Pile Carpets
Another popular chair mat from the makers at Marvelux, this Marvelux Heavy Duty Polycarbonate Chair Mat with an extended lip portion that secures the carpet area under your desk is constructed from pure polycarbonate material and is intended to be used on all low, medium and standard carpets.
This mat is designed with a studded base to prevent sliding and a smooth easy glide surface that provides ease of movement when rolling. It’s ergonomically designed and environmentally safe, free from odors, toxins, and heavy metals.
For those wondering about the size, this mat is available in a variety of different sizes which range from 36”×48” with lip, 47” ×53” with lip, 48” ×51” with lip among others.
Features of the Marvelux Mat for Low, Standard and Medium Pile Carpets
- 100% pure polycarbonate: just like most chair mats we’ve reviewed so far, the Marvelux too is made of polycarbonate material which is durable and tough enough to offer your carpet ultimate protection.
- Easy-glide surface: to reduce backaches and frequent pains on your legs and muscles, Marvelux has designed this mat with an easy glide surface that provides a smooth rolling experience.
- Studded back: to ensure that this mat doesn’t shift unnecessarily, expertly designed studs have been added at the bottom to hold the mat firmly in place to prevent movement.
- Transparent design: since this mat is designed to be used on all carpeted floors, Marvelux has again used a transparent polycarbonate material which will ensure that the beauty of your carpet is readily seen without being compromised.
- Toxic-free: lastly, the Marvelux Mat is carefully constructed with non-toxic materials, odors and heavy metals.
- This mat is available in various sizes.
- The surface doesn’t discolor or smell like most plastic mats do.
- The mat is stiff and very firm meaning it doesn’t curve or curl.
- This mat is environmentally safe and free from harmful toxins.
- Some customers have complained that the edges of this mat are somewhat sharp and they curl easily.
- A fraction of other customers have complained that the mat shifts a lot.
Overall, the Marvelux Mat for Low, Standard and Medium Pile Carpets is a chair mat that has outperformed most mats within its price range. This mat is constructed from a polycarbonate material which according to most shoppers is durable, firm, and very persistent.
Most reviewers have loved the crystal clear surface which they say makes the mat a perfect choice for all carpets while others have expressed their appreciation on the sizing stating that this mat was never a disappointment.
The only major complaint we’ve noted is that some of the customers have had issues with the curling and curving of the edges especially when this mat is placed on thick plush carpets.
7. Fezibo Office Floor Mats for Pile Low Carpets
The Fezibo Office Floor Mat is designed with a rectangular shape and a lip portion to secure the area under your desk.
This mat is usable all year round as it doesn’t curl due to cold weather. In addition to that, it has a thickness of 1/8” which according to most experts is thick enough to offer the much-needed endurance to support users with varying weights.
As for the materials used in the construction of this mat has guaranteed you ultimate safety as the materials used in the construction are 100% odorless, phthalate-free, PVC free and extremely free from volatile toxins and off-gassing.
Features of the Fezibo Office Floor Mat
- Toxic-free: to protect your family against harmful toxins, Fezibo has constructed this mat with non-toxic materials which are free from off-gassing, PVC, and phthalates.
- 1/8” thick: the 1/8” thickness of this mat is a major plus that provides a firm, stiff, and steady surface that doesn’t bulge or curve inwards when heavy weight is applied.
- Ergonomic design: the surface is ergonomically designed with a smooth material that provides a fluid rolling environment with reduced fatigue on your legs and muscles.
- Effective grip: finally, the underside of this mat is equipped with studs that sink entirely on your plush carpet to hold the mat firmly in place to prevent unnecessary shifting.
- This mat is thick enough to offer a stiff surface that doesn’t curl or crack easily.
- This mat is well gripped at the base to prevent it from shifting or sliding on top of your carpet.
- This mat is sound absorbent and very easy to clean.
- At 10.85 pounds, this mat is considered to be light and very easy to carry.
- This mat doesn’t support well users with heavy weights.
The Fezibo Office Floor Mat has been welcomed with positive criticism from the vast majority of online buyers. Most of these shoppers have appreciated the low price range while others have loved the high durability of this mat.
Now, although the mat is thick enough to work with most office carpets, a fraction of the customers have expressed their dissatisfaction stating that this mat is too soft and unable to support your chair when used on plush carpets.
8. Vitrazza Premium Glass Office Chair Mat
The Vitrazza Premium Glass Office Chair Mat is a square-shaped mat constructed from tempered glass and is a great option for office workers looking for a mat that will secure their thick plush carpets against damage caused by their chair’s caster wheels.
In addition to carpeted floors, this is also great for other types of floors including tile, hardwood and marble as it doesn’t stain nor cause any form of damage.
Its transparent characteristic is a huge plus to those looking to preserve the beauty of their carpets. When it comes to the sizing, this mat is available in several sizes which range from 36”×48”, 42” ×48”, 42” ×64”, 45” ×53”, 46” ×60”, 48” ×48”, to 60” ×60”.
This mat is also available in two major options which are the Chiaro-Standard Clear and the Luminoso-Ultra Clear.
Features of the Vitrazza Premium Glass Office Chair Mat
- Tempered glass construction: constructed from glass, this mat provides an ergonomic premium alternative as it never stains or damage your carpet, tile or hardwood floor. Glass is also stiff so your mat will never curve at the center nor curl on the edges due to heavy weights.
- Smooth glide surface: since its entirely firm, this mat provides a smooth easy glide surface where you can roll your office chair without applying too much pressure on your legs, lower back or muscles.
- Transparent design: the beautiful clear design of this mat is another major selling point. Shoppers who’re keen on interior decoration will take advantage of the clear design to showcase the beauty of their carpets, tiles or hardwood floors while still protecting their floors against any damage.
- Curved edges: lastly, this mat is designed with curved edges that enhance its beauty. In addition to that, the edges offer added protection to the user as they’re not sharp.
- Ideal for most floor types including low to high pile carpet types.
- This mat is available in a variety of sizes to suit your specific office setup.
- The mat is backed by a full time warranty.
- The mat is thick enough to resist breakage.
- It’s curved at the edges to enhance personal safety.
- This mat is susceptible to scratching.
- Since its glass made, you have to be keen to prevent the risk of cracking.
Overall, the Vitrazza Premium Glass Office Chair Mat is an excellent choice for most shoppers looking for a versatile mat that will offer immense protection to their various floor types. The majority of online shoppers have appreciated this mat due to its quality design stating that it’s stiff and firm enough to support a variety of weights.
Its transparent design is another major plus. Most customers have appreciated this approach stating that it makes this mat a universal option for a variety of floor types.
Best Chair Mats for Carpets — Buyer’s Guide
When setting up your work station, one area you shouldn’t neglect is protecting your floor surface against damage. A chair mat is one product specifically designed to protect your office floor against any possible wear and tear. While there are so many factors you need to consider when choosing the perfect mats for your floor, here are some pointers you can’t afford to neglect.
1. The size
Before buying a chair mat, it’s highly critical that you consider the size of your work space as well as the base of your office chair. If you’re planning to use the mat to cover a small area, then a small-sized option will be the best selection. On the other hand, if the office space is large and you’ll need to roll the chair to access some cabinets, then a large-sized mat will be a logical option.
2. The shape
The concept of floor mats has become popular in recent times making them available in a vast number of shapes. Today, you can find chair mats that are circular, square but rectangular ones are the most popular and most readily available because they offer a better surface area coverage. In addition to that, there are rectangular mats with symmetrical lips that cover not only the chair area but also your feet when seated.
Next, think about your chair mat and how it coordinates with the rest of your workspace décor. Are you looking for a patterned mat, a clear understated mat or simply a mat that showcases your company’s theme colors? Well, this is a factor you need to discuss with the rest of your colleagues before making the final decision.
Another factor that should be considered when choosing a chair mat is the construction. Now, chair mats are constructed from different materials depending on the type of floor they’re intended to protect.
For instance, mats constructed from Vinyl or PVC are best suited for low pile carpeted floors. These options are usually inexpensive but are susceptible to bowing, bending, and cracking.
Wood is another material that’s also used to construct most mid-grade chair mats. Wooden chair mats mainly comes in two variations which are laminate and bamboo. Wooden mats are tough and highly durable making them ideal for all types of floors. Additionally, these mats have wooden finish and engravings that are often used to enhance the appearance of your work space.
Most of the superior quality, best selling and popular chair mats you will find in the market are made from Polycarbonate, a clear, strong and long-lasting material that is easy to clean, does not discolor, smell and is fully recyclable. This material is able to do relatively well against curling, cracking and denting and ideal for making chair mats for use on carpets of low, standard and medium pile.
Lastly, we have tempered glass. Hailed for its strength and endurance, and like Polycarbonate, glass is easy to clean and usually used to construct high-standard chair mats which can be used on most types of floors as well as for users with weights heavier than average. These mats usually don’t sink, bow or curl at the edges even when used on plush carpets. They are ideal for long term heavy duty use.
When choosing a chair mat, you need to consider the level of safety. With glass and Polycarbonate chair mats, you will not need to worry about toxins, BPA, and off-gassing.
6. Ease of cleaning
Finally, when choosing a chair mat for your work space, you need to consider how hard or easy it is to clean it. For this reason, you need to select chair mats that are water-resistant as they will make it easier for you to wipe and clean the surface. Again glass and Polycarbonate chair mats are the best here.
In conclusion, there are many benefits of adding a chair mat as part of your office tools. Apart from just protecting your floor against damages caused by your chair’s caster wheels, these mats are designed with smooth surfaces that make it easier for you to roll without straining your legs or lower back.
All of the eight mats we’ve reviewed here are constructed from glass and polycarbonate. This is because these two materials are generally the best in terms of durability and ease of use. They are stiff and they don’t curve or bulge easily. Secondly, these materials are environmentally safe, free from harmful toxins, phthalates and off-gassing. With just those benefits, it’s also worth noting that these chair mats are pocket-friendly meaning you won’t have to break the bank for you to own one.
No doubt that this list contains some of the best chair mats for carpets so if you’re in the market for such a product, at least now you have somewhere start.