A flooded basement or rather water in your basement is one of the greatest nightmares some of us I’ve had the misfortune of dealing with. In the US alone, nearly 14,000 cases of floods damage are recorded making it a serious issue that demands attention. Often, inclement weather has been the major cause of torrential rain which causes floods and serious power outages in some parts of the US. During such situations, sump pumps are considered lifesavers, or at least home savers.
And to ensure their continued operation despite the environment, battery backups for sump pumps are handy devices to have.
Now, the main reason why these sump pump battery backups are so imperative is the fact that they don’t rely on electricity. Therefore, in case your electric sump pump is rendered inoperative due to a power outage, these battery-powered models will step up to the challenge and provide a decent backup, thus ensuring the dewatering operations of your pump don’t come to a sudden halt.
But, despite their innovation, shopping for a high-standard battery backup for a sump pump is becoming increasingly difficult especially in recent times where manufacturers are promising too much and delivering too little.
Luckily in this guide, we’ve gathered no less than seven of the best battery backups for sump pumps which we believe will offer you hours of extra protection against power failure. These 7 units are based on recommendations from industry’s experts as well as overall customer rating on performance, durability and functionality.
Review of 7 of the Best Battery Backups for Sump Pumps
1. Wayne ESP25 Upgraded 12-Volt Battery Backup System
One key question most shoppers ask before deciding on whether to buy a battery backup sump pump is whether they’re worth it or not. Although some models fail to keep the job done due to one reason or the other, the Wayne ESP25 Battery Backup System is among the best models to backup your existing primary pump that will never disappoint you.
Assembled in the USA, this 1/3-HP sump pump is constructed from an epoxy steel body and a cast iron base to keep it safe from any damage. Running on a 12V DC power source, the Wayne ESP25 can handle most moderate to critical flood situations and is mostly paired with the Wayne CDU800 AC primary sump pump or WAYNE WSB1275 to provide a boost for an efficient discharge of water.
For total automation, the Wayne ESP25 features an adjustable reed float switch. It is powered by either a 45Ah or a 75Ah deep-cycle battery and can keep your basement dry for about 3 days.
This battery backup sump pump is backed by a 2-year limited warranty and it’s a perfect match when used alongside your main sump pump or as a backup when the primary pump is damaged.
Features of the Wayne ESP25 Battery Backup System
- LED display: an LED display has been added to this system to give you an explicit view of the controls to determine which setting the unit is running at.
- Audible alarm: the alarm system is a decent addition that notifies you when the backup system is being utilized. So, to keep you updated, the audible alarm will sound as soon as the backup system is activated to give you a chance to act accordingly.
- Thermoplastic housing: another feature, which by the way happens to be a safety feature, is the thermoplastic housing that has been used to secure the battery and the base of the unit. This material is corrosion-resistant meaning your sump pump will last longer without getting damaged.
- Powerful motor: the Wayne ESP25 is equipped with a very powerful 12V 1/3-HP horsepower motor that’s capable of pumping out about 2,900 gallons of water per hour. Although that’s the case, you should note that the amount of water this motor can discharge highly depends on the height of the water. At 5’, it’s able to discharge 2,340 gallons, 1,680 gallons at 10’, and 600 gallons at 15’.
- Heavy-duty construction: as a high-standard high-priced unit, Wayne has not disappointed its customers. That’s because this unit is housed under an epoxy steel casing that guarantees its durability even when it’s knocked at accidentally.
- Operates very quietly
- This sump pump is protected from rust by a corrosion-resistant thermoplastic housing.
- There’s an audible alarm that notifies you when the backup pump is activated.
- Pumps nearly 10,000 gallons of water in a single charge.
- Proudly made in the USA.
- The 12V battery required have to be purchased separately.
Welcomed with positive criticism from a vast majority of the customers, this battery backup for a sump pump has been hailed for keeping up to its promises.
Most customers have appreciated the heavy-duty construction while others have loved the easy installation, the powerful performance, durability and the versatility, stating that it’s universal and able to fit on several backup sump pump models.
Overall, this is no doubt one of the most popular and highest rated back ups for AC sump pumps that customers felt gave them complete value for money.
2. Pump Sentry 822 PS- Emergency Power Backup for Sump Pumps
SEC America’s Sentry 822 PS-Emergency Power Backup Battery may be a little on the higher side, but its powerful performance makes it worth every penny. UL and CSA approved, this automatic recharge battery is packed with 1200W worth of backup power making it a reliable backup option in case there’s a power surge.
Another interesting feature you’ll love about this battery backup is the ability to automatically interchange from AC to DC or vise versa in case there’s a power outage. When there’s power, this battery simply sits back and recharges. When it detects any possible AC power failure, it automatically starts the backup pump to run it using its charged energy.
Features of the Sentry 822 PS Backup
- Aluminum housing: the rugged aluminum housing of this backup battery is a major plus that guarantees its overall durability. Since it’s intended for heavy-duty use, the Sentry 822 will ensure that all its internal components are protected even when it’s knocked down severally.
- Wall or surface installation: the mounting process of this battery is quite straightforward. With just a few screws, you can easily mount it either on the wall or on the surface.
- Compact body: this battery won’t occupy much of your space. With sleek dimensions of 24”×14”×5”, this battery is compact enough to be installed almost anywhere.
- 1200W power: with 1200W of power, the Sentry 822 can operate with most 1/3-HP sump pumps providing immense power to withstand most tough conditions.
- This unit comes with all the necessary cables meaning you won’t need to purchase anything.
- Automatically switches from AC to DC in case it detects a power failure.
- Rugged aluminum body protects the internal components from any damage.
- Discharges 10,000 gallons of water in a single charge.
- This battery is expensive.
Most verified shoppers have expressed their satisfaction stating that this battery backup is everything it’s advertised to be and gives them some peace of mind during floods or when the weather is extremely rough. It’s also said to be heavy duty and durably constructed thereby expected to last years before replacement is ever needed
A few customers have appreciated the easy installation of this battery stating that it requires commonsense engineering without the use of complex tools.
3. PumpSpy PS2000 WiFi Battery Backup Sump Pump System
There’s no denying that PumpSpy is among the leading brands that manufacturers some of the best emergency sump pumps in the market. PumpSpy PS2000 WiFi Battery Backup Sump Pump System is no exception.
Now, unlike the Sentry 822 PS-Emergency Power, the PumpSpy PS2000 isn’t as expensive though it’s not cheap either. This battery backup is designed to work with any 120V main sump pump. By just connecting it to a 120V power outlet, this unit will automatically activate whenever it detects a power failure.
Now for those desirous of control at the palm of your hands, you will be glad to know that this unit is WiFi-enabled meaning it’s able to wirelessly connect with your Smartphone or Tablet, so you are able to get real time information and data on our pump’s operations as well as send you cellular alerts about impeding problems.
So, whether you’re at home or away for a business trip, the PumpSpy PS2000 is a close companion that will always monitor your sump pump system performance daily and notify you of potential problems like dangerously high water levels, when the primary pump is operating excessively and primary pump failure, low battery that needs recharging, from anywhere with connectivity.
Features of the PumpSpy PS2000 WiFi Battery Backup Sump Pump System
- Wireless connection: with the help of a special PumpSpy App, you can connect this battery backup sump pump to your Smartphone via a WiFi connection to monitor its operation while still receiving instant alerts.
- Internet monitoring: PumpSpy has a 24/7 remote monitoring system that runs 3 tests to your sump pump each week to constantly check for potential problems before flooding occurs. This is a special feature for homeowners who are always on the go or those who can’t afford to take chances.
- High discharge: speaking of the performance, the PumpSpy PS2000 has immense power to discharge an entire 13,000 gallons of water in a single cycle. Just like most other battery backup sump pumps, the amount of water its able to discharge is dependent on the height.
- Automatic activation: lastly, the incredible auto-activation function automatically turns the DC on or off whenever the AC fails to work.
- Backup battery for Sump pump battery that also has a 24 monitoring capability and alerts making this the ultimate, value for money purchase.
- For every single charge, this powerful unit can discharge 13,000 gallons of water.
- It has smart sensors that notify you of any problem via phone.
- Internet monitoring allows this unit to scan the primary pump and the backup pump automatically.
- It’s constructed from rugged metal meaning safety is guaranteed.
- The app is a bit buggy and needs to be upgraded.
Although it’s not overly pricey, the PumpSpy PS2000 is still on the higher side as compared to most backup sump pumps. However, when you factor in the high-tech aspect, performance ad durability, you’ll discover that this unit is worth the price.
Shoppers who have bought and installed it have appreciated the smart technology used which they say has converted this sump pump to a next-generation system.
The quality is good, the performance is high-standard and the addition of wireless fidelity makes this sump pump a reliable option when you’re at home or when you’re away thereby said to be one of the best units to use with your sump pump for total control and piece of mind.
4. Zoeller 508-0005 Aquanot 508 Battery Backup System
Manufactured by a well-trusted company in the industry, the Zoeller 508-0005 Aquanot is 100% hand-built in the USA to offer you a product that will give you the dependability and, of course, the peace of mind that you are after.
This battery backup sump pump is sturdy and durably constructed using heavy-duty outer casing as a guarantee that this unit will stay strong even when mishandled several times.
It’s is equipped with a 10-Amps battery charger and an automatic controller that will switch the backup system on or off depending on the state of the primary sump pump.
The Zoeller 508-0005 Aquanot is covered with a 36-months manufacturer’s warranty which is quite decent.
Features of the Zoeller 508-0005 Aquanot
- Wide LCD display: the wide LCD display is a major plus as it displays all the key controls alongside other helpful information such as battery voltage and pump status.
- Compact design: unlike some sump pump battery backups that take up all the space, the Zoeller 508-0005 Aquanot has a compact design that allows it to save ample space in your crawl or basement.
- Float switch: the vertical float switch is a creative addition that lets this sump pump to automatically turn on and off whenever a sensor in your pump is triggered. When the water level in the sump pit rises, the float switch automatically triggers a sensor forcing the unit to turn on. When the water level lowers, the float switch triggers the sensor again notifying it to turn off.
- 10-Amps battery recharge system: that is protected against burn-out and overcharge. The battery remains fully charged when not in use.
- Automatic controller: with the automatic controller, you can easily integrate this sump pump with your home security alarm to receive notifications and alerts whenever your backup or primary pump malfunctions. This controller is equipped with alarms, indicator lights and warning systems which are enough to give you daily alerts.
- The included battery case is universal and capable of accommodating a variety of battery models.
- Fitted with Legs that allow for free-standing installation
- With the battery charger, your sump pump will always be standby and ever ready to run whenever the AC pump goes off.
- This battery backup has a solid construction that prevents water from penetrating to the inner compartment.
- The battery has a compact body that allows you to save more space.
- The Zoeller 508-0005 Aquanot doesn’t come with the battery so you have to purchase it separately.
Although the Zoeller 508-0005 Aquanot is loved for its performance. Most customers have also appreciated the construction stating that it guarantees the longevity of the unit.
Other customers have loved the easy installation while a few others have appreciated the automatic operation of this battery backup sump pump where it starts and shuts off automatically.
Overall, this unit indeed works hard in order to provide you with some peace of mind.
5. Pump Sentry 1622- Emergency Power for Sump Pumps
The Pump Sentry 1622 is designed to guarantee you maximum reliability during those extreme conditions. This battery backup for sump pump is designed with an automatic switch that will help your sump pump to convert from AC to DC or vise versa without you having to do it manually.
This unit can either be installed on the wall or on the surface and its compact enough meaning it won’t occupy the entire space in your basement. The Pump Sentry 1622 is backed with a decent 2-year limited warranty which isn’t too bad.
Features of the Pump Sentry 1622 Emergency Power for Sump Pump
- Rugged housing: with the pricing on this model, you’ll, of course, be expecting a unit that can take a few bumps. Made from rugged aluminum housing, this unit is tough enough to protect your internal components from any possible damage.
- Wall or surface installation: while some emergency backup systems are installed inside the pit alongside the pumps, the Pump Sentry 1622 can be installed either on the wall or on the surface.
- Compact body: with dimensions of 27.5”×5”×5.7”, this unit is compact enough for installation almost anywhere.
- Automatic switch: the automatic switch is used to detect when there’s a power failure to convert the energy from the backup battery to be used by the sump pump. When the AC power is back, the DC power automatically goes off allowing the battery to continue recharging.
- ½-HP motor: this unit has a very strong motor that discharges about 2,900 gallons of water per hour. When the battery is fully charged, it’s capable of discharging 10,000 gallons before calling for a recharge.
- Hand-built in the United States.
- Easy to install on the wall or on the surface.
- Compact body guarantees minimal more space is taken up in your basement and sump pit.
- Rugged aluminum body guarantees durability.
- Price restrictive
Shoppers have appreciated the easy installation process but most importantly they loved its performance and the heavy-duty construction that guarantees years of service.
6. Basement Watchdog BWSP 1730 Special Back-Up Sump Pump
The Basement Watchdog BWSP Special Back-Up Sump Pump is cost-effective making it a reliable option for customers looking for a budget unit. Despite the low price range, this unit is indeed high-standard though its not as reliable as most of the backup battery sump pumps we’ve already covered.
Speaking of the flow rate, this unit can discharge a decent 2,500 gallons of water at zero feet. However, as the water level rises to 10 ft, the Basement Watchdog BWSP can discharge at least 1,730 gallons of water which is, by the way, enough keeping in mind that it’s just a backup pump.
It comes with a user-friendly control panel, a sensor to monitor the performance of the whole system, a controller, a charger, a battery box and a dual float switch to guarantee its performance. The only drawback you’ll notice once you shop for this unit is lack of a battery which you’ll have to purchase separately.
Features of the Basement Watchdog BWSP Special Back-Up Sump Pump
- Intuitive control panel: one thing you’ll definitely love the moment you install this unit is the user-friendly control panel. This panel is intuitive and has the ability to beep or light up to warn you of potential problems within the system.
- Monitoring sensors: the monitoring sensors are a safety feature we can’t ignore to mention. These sensors monitor the health and performance of the sump pump and the battery to ensure that everything is running optimally.
- Complete package: once you open the package, you’ll be delighted to discover that every component is included. The package comes with the pump itself, a battery box, the float switch, charger and the controller.
- High discharge: the high water discharge of this unit is influenced by the combination of a powerful motor and the battery which together are able to pump 2,500 gallons of water each hour at zero ft.
- Compact body: finally about the size, the Basement Watchdog BWSP has a sleek body that measures 5”×9”×6”. With such dimensions, this unit can fit in tight basements without causing any spacing issues.
- High discharge rate of 2,500 gallons of water per hour.
- Automatic sensors monitor the battery and the pump for any mechanical issues.
- User-friendly control panel
- Light and very compact.
- You’ll have to purchase a proprietary battery separately.
- The electronic components quire a lot of maintenance.
The overall performance of the Basement Watchdog BWSP is just phenomenal. According to reviewers, this unit can discharge high levels of water from your basement with just a single charge.
What some shoppers also loved about this unit are the automatic sensors which they say are lifesavers as they beep and issue alert warnings in case there’s a mechanical failure. At least with such a safety feature, floods will never find you unprepared.
Another huge advantage most customers have appreciated is the compact body of this unit which they say is sleek enough to fit in most basements spaces.
7. BURCAM 300403 12 Volt Battery Backup Sump Pump System
As a budget-friendly option, BURCAM 300403 promises high-standard features without digging deep into their pockets. Although it doesn’t connect to your home’s alarm system as some models do, the BURCAM 300403 is compatible with most primary sump pumps and can easily be tethered with most existing discharge pipes to avoid additional work of having to set separate discharge pipes.
The BURCAM 300403 is constructed from heavy-duty materials and is backed with a 2-year limited warranty making it a great option for any shopper looking for quality at an affordable price tag.
Features of the BURCAM 300403 12 Volt Battery BackUp Sump Pump System
- Complete package: just like most other units we’ve already covered, the BURCAM 300403 too comes with all its components ready which include a charger, a float switch, a check valve and a battery case.
- High discharge: about the performance, this battery backup sump pump is capable of discharging a decent 1,600 gallons of water per hour from levels of up to 10ft.
- Compact body: if space is a major concern, then you don’t have to worry as this unit is designed with a compact body that lets you utilize as little space as possible. It has sleek dimensions of 16”×5”×11” and a weight of just 4.1 pounds.
- Trickle charger: with the trickle charger, you can easily recharge the battery when the AC is ON to save energy that will later be used in case there’s a power outage.
- Fast charging within 24 hours.
- Can easily be used with existing discharge pipes.
- Compatible with most primary sump pumps of different brands.
- Doesn’t have enough power to withstand rough weather conditions.
- You have to purchase a marine deep cycle battery separately.
Most users have commended its performance so far stating that it’s quiet and very reliable. The affordable price tag is another huge plus most shoppers have appreciated.
How to Choose The Best Battery Backup Sump Pump—Buyer’s Guide
Although we’ve reviewed seven of the best backup sump pumps, making a firm decision may sometimes be difficult especially when you know too very about these products. Since these battery backup pumps are intended to provide an alternative in the event your main pump is unable to accomplish it’s task due to power failure, we’ve added some key factors which we believe will help you make a mature decision when purchasing a new battery backup for sump pump or when replacing an existing unit.
1. The size
By size, we simply mean the size of the sump and that of the existing pump. If the size of the sump is small, then you’ll definitely need to look for a smaller sized backup battery sump pump. In addition to that, you’ll need to think about the configuration of the specific sump pump you’re purchasing. That’s because some models require more space to be configured and installed properly as compared to others.
In case there isn’t enough space in your basement sump, you can opt to choose a model that has the pump and the battery backup put together. At least with such a model, you can squeeze the pump and the battery together to save more on space.
In most cases, a backup system can reach 2000 cycles when running on a fully charged 12V/75Amps battery. Depending on the type of setup implemented, a backup battery can run for approximately 5 to 6 hours without being turned off or for 2 days if it’s designed to automatically turn on only when water is present in the pit.
3. Battery charging
Since these pumps are highly effective when there are back-to-back power outages, you need to pay attention to the voltage to ensure that the battery doesn’t take too long to be recharged. Additionally, you may prefer to invest in a particularly larger battery which will not demand frequent recharging.
Another approach you might consider is installing a solar panel in your garage to charge your backup battery. Although this isn’t the usual way of charging these batteries, it may act as a backup plan when power outage cases are severe.
4. Consider AGM batteries
Absorbent Glass Mat batteries, also referred to as (AGM) batteries are some of the best to consider if you’re working with a technologically advanced sump pump battery. These batteries range anywhere from maintenance-free units, wet cells to marine batteries. Wet cell and marine batteries require frequent checkups and are prone to damage and explosions. On the other hand, maintenance-free batteries are long-lasting and don’t require constant attention thus making them the best for sump pumps.
1. How Does a Sump Pump Work?
If you live in areas that experience a lot of flooding, battery backup sump pumps are definitely a must-have. These small machines are usually installed in a pit right in your basement. When water fills the pit during floods, the pump gets activated pumping water through the pipes to the outer channels of the building.
To keep the basement dry and free from severe flooding, these pipes are usually constructed with a one-way check valve that prevents any possible water backflow.
2. When and Who Needs a Sump Pump?
Sump pumps are an important necessity for people living in areas that record high rainfall. Those living in floodplain areas or rather areas that have a high water table will definitely need sump pumps with good battery backups to prevent their basements from flooding.
Most people think that the best time to own a sump pump is during the heavy rain seasons. Although they’re right, most home experts believe that every time is a perfect time to own a sump pump. Apart from rainy seasons, these units are highly useful during hurricane seasons or after ice storms.
Also, if you’re planning to go for a vacation for a very long time, you’ll definitely need to install a battery backup for your sump pump to assist your main pump in case of power issues
3. How Do You Install a Battery Backup to Your Existing Sump Pump?
Before you even start, the first step is to verify that the battery backup you’re using is compatible or rather it fits perfectly to your existing sump pump. In case you’re unable to find a specific battery model, it’s always wise to seek advice from professional electricians or call sump pump manufacturers for advice. You can also watch YouTube videos or read articles online .
So, here’s the process…
First, connect the PVC of the backup sump pump to the primary pipe that extends to the outside of the house. Secondly, separate the check valves for each pipe and check them to ensure they’re secure. Next, connect a hydrometer to measure the charge level while still connecting the positive and negative terminals of the battery.
Note that, this process doesn’t require any water to be present in the pit otherwise it might short circuit and cause potential danger. When the battery is fully charged, place it in a plastic box then place the cables on each terminal. Note that the terminals are distinguished by the colors so it won’t be difficult to identify them.
4. Why do You Need to Backup Your Sump Pump With a Battery?
Just as we mentioned earlier, sump pumps are a necessity in places that have a high water table. These units are designed to pump water from basements to dry wells to prevent the lower parts of your house from getting flooded.
While AC units are considered to be the best, battery backup sump pumps are usually considered as the best alternatives in case of power surges especially in the rainy seasons when floods are imminent. So, with that said, this section will discuss why it’s necessary to have a battery backup for your sump pump.
- Easy maintenance
One huge benefit of battery backups is that they’re relatively easy to maintain. They’re also very easy to install as you only need to place them next to the main power supply. With these batteries, all you need to do is to double-check the water levels and the terminals regularly.
Battery backups for sump pumps also come in different capacities. It’s, therefore, crucial to choose a battery that can handle your home’s power requirements. For instance, if your sump pump is designed to run once a minute, you’ll require a different battery capacity than a pump that runs once every five minutes.
- 24/7 monitoring with warnings of potential danger
The advancement in technology has contributed much to the sophistication of modern battery backups for sump pumps. Unlike before, these units are now equipped with special alarm systems that alert homeowners of when to expect danger. With such interfacing, you’ll be able to add an extra layer of oversight to protect your basement or your home in general against potential risks that come as a result of floods.
Following the issue of climate change, the weather has continued to be problematic and more unpredictable with each year that passes. For that reason, having one sump pump in your home’s basement isn’t enough without a backup right to ensure you home is always protected despite any power failures.
To avoid unpredictable damage which might occur in case of inclement weather, a battery backup sump pump is highly necessary as it’s able to pick up the slacks once the main unit fails due to a power outage.
Now, there are many models out there to choose from when it comes to battery backup sump pump. However, not all keep their promises. So, to help you with your research a little, this guide has reviewed seven of the best units you can always count on. That coupled with the useful tips on how to choose the best battery backup for your sump pump to suit your needs at your disposal, we believe you’ll be able to make an informed decision when shopping around for these units.