Gone are the days when bathroom exhaust fans were just solely functional as ventilating units. These days the top best bathroom exhaust fans can come with a combination of any number of functions including a bathroom exhaust fan with with light, heater features and other innovative features like humidity sensors and Bluetooth speakers. Such models are readily available in the market for those users looking for to kill 2 or 3 birds with one stone.
So while bathroom exhaust fans are primarily engineered and designed to vent and remove fog and moisture, they can also serve other complementary purposes like generating supplemental heat and providing illumination in the bathroom area.
If you’re in the market for such a model, a bathroom exhaust fan ,light and heater combo, then this post is specially for you because we have scouted the web to find you no less than 5 of the best selling bathroom exhaust fans that will not only work to ventilate your bathroom, but also come equipped with a heating element and a lighting fixture for the ultimate 3-in-1 functionality and performance.
Review of the Best Bathroom Exhaust Fans With Light and Heater
1. Panasonic WhisperWarm FV-11VHL2 Fan with Heat/Light-Night-Light Combination
The ceiling-mounted ASHRAE 62.2 compliant bathroom exhaust fan Panasonic WhisperWarm Lite FV-11VHL2 is a combination of heat and light or night-light features that allow any bathroom to be illuminated while providing a little extra warmth.
The fan is Energy Star certified and operates at such noise levels not increasing more than 0.3 sones.
Features and Specifications
- Fluorescent light and nightlight – the exhaust fan comes fitted with two 18-watt fluorescent lamps that are said to be the equivalent of 100-watt incandescent lights and, 4-watt nightlight convenient for illuminating in the dark.
- High-capacity Sirocco fan, spring-loaded grille and damper – motor-powered by an integral transformer and a motor, the ventilation fan is designed to have long operating life and uses energy efficiently. More importantly, the grille that covers the fan body is spring-loaded that makes it a quick remove type. So that cleaning and brushing is easier for the user.
- Safety features – the ventilation fan is also provided with a damper that precisely prevents air counterflow and the motor is also fitted with a safety thermal-cutoff fuse and a 3-level safety device for heater.
- ECM SmartFlow technology – when the fan senses a static pressure, the speed automatically increases the rpm of the fan. This is due to the electronic commutated motor (ECM) smartflow technology of the ventilation fan. It provides optimum CFM output.
- Rust proofed and galvanized housing – features a heavy-gauge zinc galvanized steel construction and painted to be able to withstand the moist bathroom environment and resist rust for longevity.
- Operates very quietly users don’t even realize the fan is working..
- Energy star rated CFL lamps that put out more lumens (998lm Per Lamp) per watt
- Installation of the fan works with 4-inch and 6-inch ducts.
- This unit is not UL Listed for Tub/Shower Enclosure when used with a GFCI Protected Circuit.
From a majority of the customers who bought the Panasonic WhisperWarm Lite FV-11VHL2, spending just a little more to get the unit with a heater was totally worth it! Both the heater and the CFL light of the unit are said to work as advertised, with the lights getting several praises for being sufficiently bright. The night-light too has also come in handy for some customers in terms of helping them navigate around the bathroom during the late night visits.
Additionally, the fan has also been commended for being a high quality, sturdy bathroom exhaust fan that operates quietly, again, just as advertised.
Overall, the Panasonic WhisperWarm Lite FV-11VHL2 is a fan-favorite with several customers recommending that rather than buying just the fan and light combo, this combination of fan light and heater is much better and ultimately gives better value for money, with very minimal increase in energy bills.
2. Broan-Nutone 9093WH With Light and Heater
The bathroom exhaust fan, heater, light and nightlight combo, that is the Broan-Nutone 9093WH is controllable with a 4-function wall switch for the convenience of users.
The exhaust fan also contains a heating element called nickel-chrome that is fan-forced, which means as the fan is turned on, the heater simultaneously operates with it.
For the user’s and their home’s protection, the bathroom exhaust fan has an automatic reset thermal protection in its heater and ventilator coils so that when an overheating is detected, the fan automatically turns off and turns back to the original settings of the user.
Features and Specifications
- Fan-forced 1500W heater combination – a heating element called nickel-chrome is incorporated in the design of the ventilation fan contains that allows it to operate at a powerful 1500 W. The heater is fan-forced that enables the fan and the heater to operate simultaneously, but can also be used individually. 70CFM ventilation fan with 3. 5 sones is able to cater adequately to bathrooms up to up to 100 square feet.
- Has automatic reset thermal protection – the ventilation fan has an automatic thermal cut-off feature. This is designed for short circuit prevention that can cause serious damage on the unit or worse, fire. The manufacturer deemed it necessary to protect their customers as they use their home equipment.
- Plug-in and permanently lubricated motor – the blower motor of this Broan model is designed and engineered to be plugged into 4-inch ducts and not hardwired. It includes a built-in junction box for easy plug-in installation of the light, heater and fan motor. In this manner it is also just as easily removable, making repairs as well as cleaning a lot easier and simpler.
- Steel frame and neutral enamel white coating – the housing of the fan is made durable galvanized steel and finished with enamel coating.
- Equipped with a 4-function wall switch for easy operation.
- It can be installed with up to 100-Watt incandescent lighting and 7-Watt night light.
- With a 3.5 sones sound level, this fan is no way silent operating.
- The bulbs are not included in the unit. You need to purchase them separately.
- Not cUL listed or UL Listed for use over bathtubs or showers
Garnering a majority of favorable reviews, the Broan-Nutone 9093WH was majorly purchased for its 3 in one functionality of a heater, exhaust fan and light/night-light combination.
The centered light of the fan is said to effectively illuminate the bathrooms, while the overall sleek design of the fan blends well with the bathroom designs just as the manufacturer promises it will.
Most customers also did not have any major qualms with the performance of the heater function because it works as advertised. The fan cycles on and off to maintain the desired temperature thereby adding to the efficiency of the ventilation fan to keep the bathroom humid and fog free. Thus, ultimately satisfying the needs the heating and moisture exhausting needs of customers.
Some of them even claimed that they no longer needed heated water because the heater enables them to enjoy warm water for showering without feeling cold. Overall, the fan is said to be a fantastic buy that works well and delivers on customer expectations.
3. Delta Electronics BreezRadiance RAD80L With Light and Heater
The HVI certified heater, fan and light combo Delta Electronics BreezRadiance RAD80L is energy efficient at 7.0 CFM/Watt. It is a ceiling mount ventilating fan equipped with LED light, heater with built-in thermostat and brushless DC motor.
It draws tons of air at 80 CFM and only consumes 11.7 Watts. The bathroom exhaust fan’s light is dimmable with a flip of a switch to allow the user to have a pleasant night time visit to the bathroom. The fan also operates at only 1.5 sones level, almost not noticeable if not, soft enough to be unpleasant or bothersome.
Features and Specifications
- Built-in thermostat and heater module with thermal cutoff fuse – it is equipped with a thermostat to enable users to consistently manage temperature. It is also wrapped in a metal guard for prevention of user contact with heating wire. The heater consists of a 1300W heating element as well as a thermal cutoff fuse for fire safety hazards.
- DC motor technology with continuous operation – the bathroom exhaust fan is engineered to continuously run for a minimum of 70,000 hours.
- Dimmable lighting – for extreme user convenience, the exhaust fan can be installed with a dimmable switch to allow the reduction of light temperature. The dimmable light is especially designed for night time bathroom visits.
- Easily connects to a standard 4” duct.
- Low noise level operation at only 1.5 sones.
- A 13-Watt LED, included in the unit is enough light to illuminate the whole bathroom.
- Can be installed with a LED dimmable lighting switch.
- An 11.7-Watt power consumption at about 7.0 CFM/Watt for energy efficiency.
- The switch is not included in the unit. Must be purchased separately. Finding a compatible switch can be a hard task according to some users.
- No night-light
- Cannot be installed over a tub or mounted in a shower stall enclosure.
From a majority of the customers, the heater is one feature that has received several praises, for “working great”, almost too great for those with those smaller of bathrooms. The heater to say the least, is said to exceed customer expectations thoroughly!
The fan is also said to be able to effectively exhaust the moisture to keep the bathroom damp free while the light is also sufficient.
You will be pleased to know that most customers found the Delta BreezRadiance RAD80LED to be quiet operating.
4. Broan-NuTone 655 Bathroom Fan and Light with Heater
The UL listed bathroom exhaust fan with light and heater Broan-NuTone 655 operates at 4 sones sound level while drawing and moving an airflow rate of 70 CFM.
With a 1300-Watts heating element, the model is recommended to be used in rooms with a size of over 65 square feet in order to fully enjoy the features. With a touch of a switch, the user will be able to get the heating and ventilating benefits of the Broan-NuTone 655 at the same time.
Features and Specifications
- High-quality, efficient ventilator – the ventilator on the model has resilient anti-vibration mounts aligned with the low sound, high-performance blower wheel. The motor easily plugs in and is permanently lubricated.
- Snap-in light diffusing lens and grille – the white polymeric grille of the bathroom exhaust fan is designed side-by-side with the snap-in light diffusing lens for 100W bulb that sheds illumination evenly and mildly.
- The model is U.L. listed for use in tub or shower enclosure with GFCI branch wiring.
- It is suitable for use in insulated ceilings or type I.C.
- Its mounting brackets are adjustable up to 24″.
- The bulbs are not included in the unit. Careful shopping is required as not all bulbs are compatible with the unit.
- With 4 sones this is not a quite operating fan.
With several customer reviews, most of which are positive, the Broan Nu-Tone 655 is one of the fan favorites because of the efficiency of its fan, light, heat combination features.
The majority of the users expressed their profound satisfaction over the flexibility of the model despite the noise it produces. For some, the performance of the product and the humid air it effectively removes from the air in the bathroom is enough to make the purchase again.
Overall the installation was easy for most and the unit is said to be a great buy by most users
5. Air King AK965 Exhaust Fan with Heater and Night Light
The CUL and HVI certified, type I.C., ceiling-mounted exhaust fan with heater and night light Air King AK965 can ventilate a bathroom space with size up to 85 square feet.
It fits mostly in 4-inch round duct size. It can be installed with 100W maximum standard bulb with a 7W night light and a moonstone glass light lens for aesthetic purposes.
The model easily hooks up and installs using hanger brackets that are included with the product.
Features and Specifications
- Metal, electronically balanced blower wheels – the heater blower wheel of the model are made of metal that are electronically balanced with 28 fins.
- Polymeric, electronically balanced blower wheels – for the ventilation wheel, the material used it electronically balanced polymeric raw material with 21 fins.
- Sturdy heater housing – the housing of the heater of the model is made of 23 gauge galvanized steel housing.
- Efficient heating element – placed in J-shaped ceramic enclosure, the wire coil are shaped hooks terminated by bolt and nut.
- Flexibility of installation accompanied by a well-written and informational instruction manual.
- Night-light included
- Has straightforward and downright features.
- This is not quite, there will be some humming and whirring sound as it’s rated at 3.5 sones.
The Air King AK965, though not as popular as the other models on this list this model is loved for its straightforward features and specifications that do not need extra purchases.
The unit though does produce a loud humming noise so if you’re in the market for a silent operating bathroom exhaust fan, this model may not be the best for you.
The Best Brands: A Quick Review
In this part of the article, we review the best brands that offer the most economical and low profile bathroom exhaust fans that all American homes should have. Enlisted brands below are Panasonic, Broan-NuTone, Delta and Air King.
Panasonic was founded to be the company to provide better living for the market. They put their customers and the “people” central to their activities. Thus, the brand is focused on “people’s lives.”
Panasonic products are designed and created through their innovative electronics technology. With this, they are able to provide varied products, systems, building essentials, and housing equipment. Their motto, “A Better Life, A Better World.” The company will continue to strive in order to provide its customers with the right equipment and machines that will make their lives easier and better.
While Panasonic is a well-known brand used in every household around the world, they also design some the best bathroom exhaust fans in terms of features and quality and of the highest rated in the industry as well.
As per the company, their ventilation fans are all Energy Star certified. They’ve been engineered to comply with the ENERGY STAR® 4.0 requirements for efficiency to ensure low cost at the same time energy efficient operation. Here are the major categories of Panasonic’s most popular ventilation systems:
- Panasonic WhisperValue DC Series – Hailed for their perfect multifamily solutions, models under the value category are ideal for single family and manufactured homes. They are the lowest-profile Energy Star certified fans available, and fit in a 2×4 and 3-3/8” housing depth.
- Panasonic WhisperCeiling DC, SmartFlow Series – Fan/light models under this category feature a contemporary flush mount grille that incorporates a long-life 10W dimmable LED chip panel that is suitable for a night light to provides long-lasting energy efficient illumination.
- Panasonic WhisperFit Series – The models under the fit category are the perfect solutions for any re-modeler looking to quickly and easily replace an existing fan from below the ceiling. These low profile WhisperFit fans are an affordable choice for delivering quiet, energy efficient, and effective exhaust ventilation. They are ideal for residential remodeling.
- Panasonic WhisperSense DC Series – The models under the category features built-in dual sensor technology for motion and moisture that provides built-in redundancy for the ultimate automatic moisture as well as odor control. A powerful, yet efficient ECM Motor with SmartFlow technology ensures optimum CFM output that also effectively removes moist and polluted air from any room.
- Panasonic WhisperGreen Select Series – The models under the round-breaking IAQ solution of this category enable customization and easier installation. They are designed specifically for the builder and professional installer wherein their unique design and superior energy efficiency is achieved through engineering expertise. They have a plug ‘n play module and the patented Pick-A-Flow Airflow Technology.
The brand is the foundation of three global brands: Broan, NuTone, and BEST. NuTone, being the oldest brand, has been in the construction industry for almost 81 years. Broan and NuTone boast of being among the leaders in the industry, serving and acknowledging over 80% of homeowners in the U.S. as patronizers of their products.
Broan aims to offer a wide selection of products to its customers that meet the requirements of all three major green building programs: Energy Star for energy efficient models, U.S. Green Building Council’s (USGBC) Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) for Homes and the National Association of Homebuilders (NAHB) Model Green Home Building Guidelines. Here are the best heater plus light series Broan offers for residential use:
- Broan 655, 659, and 656 Series – The simplest and most economical models among all series of the Broan brand are 655, 659 and 656 models. The noise level varies in each model between 2.5 to 4 sones. Each draws airflow between 50~110 CFM. The series is also termed as Heater/Fan/Light series.
- Broan 100HL and 100 HFL Series – The 100HL and 100 HFL models include built-in 360° directionally-adjustable heat outlet. They can heat, vent and shed illumination to bathrooms within 90 square feet. The models produce 2 sones sound level but reduces as the fan speed is lowered down.
- Broan QTX Heater/Fan/Light Series – The models under the category each moves airflow at 1100 CFM while producing only 0.9 sones. The models are designed with PowerHeat which reduces waiting time for the whole bathroom to be heated. They are also recommended for over 105 square feet bathroom size to fully enjoy the features.
3. Delta Electronics
Delta is committed to developing only highly efficient power products that include improving power supplies at almost 90% efficiency, telecom power at 97% efficiency and PV inverters at up to 98.5% efficiency.
The company envisions greener, cleaner and more energy-efficient solutions. “Smarter. Greener. Together.” is Delta’s brand promise, to work towards it, their business now encompasses high-quality power electronics, energy management, and smart green life.
All Delta Breez fan models are HVI (Home Ventilating Institute) lab tested and certified. Delta Breez fans go through product tests to qualify for various performance parameters as well as undergo random verification. They are popular due to the innovative features and sleek physical characteristics. Here are some of the Delta Breez Series Ventilation Fans categories:
- Delta BreezSignature Series – The models under BreezSignature Series are the highest performing and most quiet models at less than 0.3 sones. They have an airflow of 80 or 110 CFM and are designed for spaces 80 to 110 square feet.
- Delta BreezSmart Series – The models under the BreezSmart Series are virtually silent and rich in features. The models are quiet at 0.3 sones with high speeds of 130 or 150 CFM. The ventilation fans can accommodate spaces up to 150 square feet.
- Delta BreezElite Series – BreezElite Series boast of affordable performance, rich features and very quiet operation at 0.5 to 0.7 sones despite the high speeds of 80 to 100 CFM. The models work efficiently for space 80 to 110 square feet.
- Delta BreezSlim Series – The ultimate multi-family solution. The models under the series either have single speed or dual speed. Single-speed consists of 50, 70, 80, and 100 CFM. Whereas the dual-speed consists of 70 CFM. Both single and dual-speed models perform at quietly at 0.6 to 2 sones. They are designed to accommodate 50 to 100 square feet of space.
- Delta BreezGreen Builder Series – As the term suggests, the Green Builder Series is designed for the builders. With high speeds of 80 CFM or 100 CFM, the models can perform in spaces 80 to 100 square feet with sound levels of 0.8 to 1.4 sones.
- Delta BreezIntegrity Series – Integrity Series are advertised to be an economical solution. They have single-speeds of 50, 80 or 100 CFM for spaces 50 to 10 square feet. They are quiet, from 0.7 to 1.5 sones.
- Delta BreezProfessional Series – Professional Series mode.s are designed and created for large spaces. They are single-speed with a range from 200 to 300 CF while operating quietly at 1 to 2 sones.
- Delta BreezRadiance Series – Models under the Radiance Series have the best warm light features. They operate quietly at 0.7 to 1.5 sones with speeds of 80 to 110 CFM. The models can accommodate 80 to 110 square feet of space.
4. Air King
Air King America Limited Liability Company is known for its Total Home Ventilation solutions that create excellent indoor air quality or IAQ. They are headquartered in the USA and erected a division in Canada. Today, they focus on going global and reaching farther countries to provide more homes a healthier, more comfortable, and more convenient environment.
They promise their customers high quality units and powerful performance, and for forty years they’ve been able to meet and even surpass those expectations. They boast themselves as innovators in a changing market, working to provide ventilation to the area that needs it most. The home.
With one of the most complete lines of Energy Star certified solutions in ventilation products on the market today, Air King only offers energy efficient ventilation for years and years of worry-free operation. They are all HVI-certified as well. Here are some of the categories that include models with heater and lighting features:
- Deluxe Quiet Ceramic Combination Heaters – The models under the category are innovated to produce low noise levels ranging between 0/4 to 1.4 sones. They are the quiet versions of the Deluxe Combination Heater models. The range of airflow is from 50 to 110 CFM. Three of the models under the category all include a heater, exhaust, light as well as a night light or dimmable light.
- Deluxe Combination Heaters – The AK965L is the only heater model under the category. It produces a sone level of 3.5 that gradually decreases as the fan speed is lowered down. It can move an airflow of up to 70 CFM. The model is also a combination of heater, exhaust, LED light and night light or dimmable light.
- Ceramic Combination Heaters – The single model under the category which is the AK55L. It can move an airflow of up to 70 CFM while operating at a 5.0 sones level. Similarly, the noise level reduces as the fan speed is lowered down.
FAQs: Bathroom Exhaust Fans
1. What are the factors to consider when buying a bathroom exhaust fan?
- Airflow capacity – the airflow capacity of any bathroom exhaust fan is measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM). The standard is 1 CFM for every square foot of space or tile in your bathroom. Look for ventilation fans that are HVI approved or certified. This way you know that the ventilation fan has been tried and tested.
- Noise level produced – the standard exceptionally quiet in the ventilating fan industry is 0.5 to 1.2 sones. Ventilation fans with a noise level within the aforementioned range are considered quiet operating even at full fan speed.
- SMART features – well you are here presumably looking for a bath fan with some smart features but in case you stumbled here looking for something else, when scouting for the best bathroom exhaust fan that would fit your bathroom needs, consider the advanced features that it offers. From built-in heaters, bluetooth speakers to LED lights, motion sensor and humidity sensors, overhead lighting and night light. Ventilation fans today are becoming more and more innovative.
2. What are the benefits of an exhaust fan in the bathroom?
A bathroom without proper ventilation serves as the perfect breeding ground for the mold and mildew which ultimately lead to the destruction of the wall paint, wallboard and other bathroom’s fixtures and surfaces, unpleasant musty smell and in the worst cases, allergy triggers.
The major benefits of having an exhaust fan in the bathroom is that is eliminates unpleasant odors caused by mold and mildew, eliminates humidity and airborne contaminants. Finally, it eliminates the need to wipe off the fog build up in mirrors. No more damp bathroom necessities and slimy walls. Thanks to exhaust fans.
3. What type of exhaust fan should I get?
Your decision should first depend on the installation. There are four types of exhaust fans in the market: ceiling-mounted exhaust fans, wall-mounted exhaust fans, inline exhaust fans and window exhaust fans.
Determine the features you are looking for and prioritize from the highest to lowest important. Do you need lighting features? Are you after a higher CFM or a more energy efficient model? By answering the simplest questions and allowing guides and reviews to assist you will enable you to find the most suitable exhaust fan for your bathroom.
4. Is it true that the lower the rating, the quieter the fan?
If bathroom fan noise is your main concern and is on top of your priority list then you should definitely start your search with sones ratings. For nearly silent noise or almost none at all, you want 0.3 or less. For a quiet fan that slightly muffled noise, you will probably be happy with up to 1.5 sones. So yes, the answer to this question is definitely a yes.
Conclusion on this Review of the Best Bathroom Exhaust Fans With Light And Heater Features
There is no doubt that a Bathroom Exhaust Fans With Light And Heater Features is the ultimate buy and provides better value for money. When making your purchase, in addition to the heater, light, durability, great CFM/performance and low sound levels, be sure to check the models for the various safety standard certifications as well as the Energy Star certification.
This way, you will not only be sure that the model and brand you are patronizing is the best solution for combating your humid bathroom problems, but is also a unit that will not significantly increase your energy bills. The best possible bathroom exhaust fan with light and heater, that has met all the safety standards and is approved for use at home and in humid environments.